Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The last fighter you would have clearly favoured to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TouchyAndalou View Post
    The same Lucas Matthysse who lost to Devon Alexander at 140?
    That decision was a joke. Alexander is a protected fighter in St. Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      That decision was a joke. Alexander is a protected fighter in St. Louis.
      It was a relatively close fight either way. But if Matthysse couldn't get to Alexander for more than fleeting moments, there's nothing that leads me to believe that Floyd couldn't play keep-away for 12 rounds and win decisively.

Comment

Originally posted by TouchyAndalou View Post
        It was a relatively close fight either way. But if Matthysse couldn't get to Alexander for more than fleeting moments, there's nothing that leads me to believe that Floyd couldn't play keep-away for 12 rounds and win decisively.
        I felt Matthysse was totally robbed against Alexander. But I'm not saying that he'd be able to beat Mayweather. At least not in 2012. Floyd is still miles above Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Whilst I think the likes of Whitaker or prime Mosley at welterweight might have been able to beat Mayweather, they are not fights I'd bet on.

The last fighter I might actually bet on to beat Mayweather at welterweight would be prime Thomas Hearns over 12 rounds. Basically the guy who fought the first 12 rounds and was ahead against Ray Leonard.
          this

-----------

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            I felt Matthysse was totally robbed against Alexander. But I'm not saying that he'd be able to beat Mayweather. At least not in 2012. Floyd is still miles above Devon.
            I only watched the fight once, but I remember it being fairly close. I think I just gave Matthysse the nod. I thought the Kotelnik fight was closer to a robbery. He was clearly outboxed that night.

Comment

Its obvious:

Roger Mayweather, the black mamba!

Good jab, good right hand, nice power. Smart, hes seen all that before ( what Jr does ). His reach is a few inches longer than Jr's

B-L-A-C-K M-A-M-B-A!

Comment

Shane from the first Oscar fight.

Not sold on Trinidad... Though I'd pay to see it happen.

We dont have to go back 20-30 years. :|....

Comment

The Magarito that knocked out Cotto will KO Floyd.

Floyd was scared to death of Margarito. There was real fear in Floyd's eyes when Maragarito punked him in front of his entire family. Floyd was terrified of Tony and the world knew it.

There was a reason Floyd retired.

Comment

Originally posted by FightScorer View Post
                    The Magarito that knocked out Cotto will KO Floyd.

Floyd was scared to death of Margarito. There was real fear in Floyd's eyes when Maragarito punked him in front of his entire family. Floyd was terrified of Tony and the world knew it.

There was a reason Floyd retired.
                    Same one that P Will beat? Or Shane? >__>...

Shane always had Floyd shook. I think Floyd is just weird like that.

Comment

There are actually a lot of guys I'd say would have an excellent chance. Floyd has a great chance too though. Some I'd definitely favour over him and some would be a close fight with the opponent having a great chance.

SOme of the later 80's guys I'd certainly have as even odds going in. Guys like Curry, Brown, Breland etc. Just a different level of fighters at 147 all through in my opinion. He might win them, but he'd have his work cut out for him, and there is no way on earth he'd be cruising through those fights as he did Baldomir, Judah, Hatton etc. He'd struggle more against Starling, McCrory, Honyghan etc than anyone today.

Thats not even going back to definitive favourites like Hearns, Leonard etc. I'd take Duran, at his best, over Floyd too.

I always thought that Quartey would really give Floyd trouble. Forrest, Tito, 2000 Oscar too. It's a pity he came along now. He'd have really been able to show what he was made of in the last era. It was so much better than today's. I'm sure he wouldn't be raving about his 0 if he did, but he might be considered truly great.
                      Last edited by BennyST; 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X