Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I watched the fight with a bunch of casuals on Saturday.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's why i never watch any sport with people who lack understanding of the sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      I did my best explaining how big a fight this was -- a unification fight (had to explain unification to them), two top five (in the world), arguably top 3 welters in the ring together, both of whom came in undefeated and in their primes.

So yeah I probably set the expectations a bit high for these casuals, but whatever, it really was a big fight. They asked me if I would've paid a full price PPV price tag for it and I said I would have (which is true).

So after the fight, no check that, even during the fight...around the 8 round mark, they were already groaning and talking **** about how lame the fight was.

One guy asked me, "is this how every single boxing fight is?"

I told him "no, not at all", but you could tell that in his mind, THAT (Thurman vs Garcia) was every boxing fight ever in the history of boxing. Another was like, "the last five fights I've seen were just as boring as this one".

I've always tried my best to defend the sport, but f**k it, I'm done, I mean either you like it or you don't.

Would I have liked to see Thurman not hop on his bike for the last few rounds? Obviously. I don't wanna call the dude a b*tch, because the guy would obviously lay me the f**k out in the first tenth of the first second of the first round, but come on, man. There was a chance for Keith to really make a statement and emphatically whoop Danny's ass, but instead he opted for what was basically boxing's version of football's prevent defense. I'm not saying you gotta be stupid and reckless just for the sake of entertainment, but there's a medium somewhere, isn't there? The dude may as well have been on a ten speed bicycle for f**k's sake.

But anyway, I digress. The casuals are bloodthirsty -- they wanna see brutal KO's and high drama in the ring. And if that don't happen then to them, the fight "sucks", and the whole entire sport "sucks". They don't grasp the concept that sometimes it's possible to have two highly skilled champions in the ring that doesn't produce guaranteed fireworks, and that yes, sometimes it's way more of a chess match than it is a bloodbath.

But I guarantee you this...fair or not, Saturday night didn't help the sport. It only reinforced why the vast majority of the public doesn't go out of their way to watch boxing.
      I agree to a certain extent about big fights turning boring often. Cruz-frampton 2 was horrid as well. You have to be able to appreciate the subtleties to like boxing in general. That's why GGG is so big for this sport, he beats people by KO, not decisions like Floyd. Same with Mcgregor

Comment

I did my best explaining how big a fight this was -- a unification fight (had to explain unification to them), two top five (in the world), arguably top 3 welters in the ring together, both of whom came in undefeated and in their primes.

So yeah I probably set the expectations a bit high for these casuals, but whatever, it really was a big fight. They asked me if I would've paid a full price PPV price tag for it and I said I would have (which is true).

So after the fight, no check that, even during the fight...around the 8 round mark, they were already groaning and talking **** about how lame the fight was.

I told him "no, not at all", but you could tell that in his mind, THAT (Thurman vs Garcia) was every boxing fight ever in the history of boxing. Another was like, "the last five fights I've seen were just as boring as this one".

I've always tried my best to defend the sport, but f**k it, I'm done, I mean either you like it or you don't.

Would I have liked to see Thurman not hop on his bike for the last few rounds? Obviously. I don't wanna call the dude a b*tch, because the guy would obviously lay me the f**k out in the first tenth of the first second of the first round, but come on, man. There was a chance for Keith to really make a statement and emphatically whoop Danny's ass, but instead he opted for what was basically boxing's version of football's prevent defense. I'm not saying you gotta be stupid and reckless just for the sake of entertainment, but there's a medium somewhere, isn't there? The dude may as well have been on a ten speed bicycle for f**k's sake.

But anyway, I digress. The casuals are bloodthirsty -- they wanna see brutal KO's and high drama in the ring. And if that don't happen then to them, the fight "sucks", and the whole entire sport "sucks". They don't grasp the concept that sometimes it's possible to have two highly skilled champions in the ring that doesn't produce guaranteed fireworks, and that yes, sometimes it's way more of a chess match than it is a bloodbath.

But I guarantee you this...fair or not, Saturday night didn't help the sport. It only reinforced why the vast majority of the public doesn't go out of their way to watch boxing.
        I can't believe you said Danny Garcia was top 5. You filthy fucking casual.

Comment

• And, you can't blame them. That was a boring ass fight.

Thurman is going to need to change his moniker if he's going to start being an overly cautious boxer.

He promises power and KOs but it's starting to become all talk. I never even seen him try to put Danny away after round 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
            I can't believe you said Danny Garcia was top 5. You filthy fucking casual.
            Lol he's a limited fighter, and yeah he has been the beneficiary of some questionable decisions, but he was still most definitely a top five welter going in. Now I'm not so sure...that said he's still definitely a top five guy at 140 though.

Comment

Ok, I'll bite.

Why the hell does their opinion matter?

Comment

• Originally posted by revelated View Post
                Ok, I'll bite.

Why the hell does their opinion matter?
                You're right -- it shouldn't. I'm finally starting to get that now. Boxing's an acquired taste.

I used to want everyone else to see how great the sport is, even with it's many, MANY flaws -- but it is what it is as they say. Boxing will always be a niche sport with a niche fan base.

The vast majority of mainstream sports fans will never get it. And not that there's anything wrong with that.

To each his own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vadrigar. View Post
                  Mayweather does the same thing for 12 rounds that Keith did for 3, yet gets a pass.
                  Floyd isn't spending the entire press tour, talking about "KOs for Life" and "I'm not afraid to let my 0 go; if you can beat me, beat me".

You talk as big as Thurman talked, and you're not expected to run out the clock.

Comment

You're right -- it shouldn't. I'm finally starting to get that now. Boxing's an acquired taste.

I used to want everyone else to see how great the sport is, even with it's many, MANY flaws -- but it is what it is as they say. Boxing will always be a niche sport with a niche fan base.

The vast majority of mainstream sports fans will never get it. And not that there's anything wrong with that.

To each his own.
                    But that's just it, it's not a niche sport. It's a sport that requires less twitchiness.

Remember, before the "Interwebs" and social media, boxing was THE pasttime, right there alongside SuperBowl. Barber shops, sports bars, movie theaters, cable with the homies...it was bringing people together.

People have now dumbed entertainment down. NFL isn't as popular, AFL is prehistoric, baseball is hardly televised like it used to be, nobody can name any hockey stars...hell, even the WWE turned their stuff into a commodity, complete with crappy storylines and tons of commercials for $10/month.

People like to say UFC is some major conglomerate, but it's still nowhere near what boxing is in places like the UK. It's 'Murica where people are twitchy are easy influenced by social media that boxing isn't as interesting.

Comment

• Watch the GGG vs jacobs fight with them. Someone is gonna get ktfo.

Comment

Working...
                      X