How hard is it to get a greencard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post
    growing a mullet wouldnt hurt either
    Ah yes, the beloved mullet. It's an American staple.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      i'm quite familiar with plenty of graduates with degrees in various aspects of business, and they're a sought after commodity. i don't know any that are unemployed or vastly underemployed to the degree that you're describing. are they all rolling in dough right out of schoo, the way they used to? no. he's better off with broad degrees in business and finance than he is with a degree in gothic literature.

and finally, unless you're talking about a kid straight out of school, his experience in working environments will give you a better idea of what his capabilities are.
      You want to match your anecdotal evidence against my empirical data, friend?

I'd be up for that.
      Last edited by Gino Ros; 10-06-2012, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
        You want to match your personal experience against my empirical data, friend?

I'd be up for that.
        data substantiating the claim that tens of thousands of business students work at starbucks? sure. match away. there are much worse degrees to have than one in business or economics. my initial comment was that the degrees "have a nice ring to them." they still have a nice ring to them, and they're still valuable degrees.

Comment

data substantiating the claim that tens of thousands of business students work at starbucks? sure. match away. there are much worse degrees to have than one in business or economics. my initial comment was that the degrees "have a nice ring to them." they still have a nice ring to them, and they're still valuable degrees.
          Don't change the topic, K. Don't turn it into a straw man.

What you claimed was that Business degree was as valuable as STEM from an immigration standpoint.

That was the discussion.

But since you wanted the proof, here is just ONE survey that shows unemployment rates by major. You will notice that by far, the most popular major is Business. thus, the sample size and population of the unemployed (among business majors) is highest.

http://www.studentsreview.com/unempl..._by_major.php3

You're welcome.

Comment

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/01/10...er-the-ticket/

Why a Business Major is No Longer the Ticket
            By Dan Kadlec | @dankadlec | January 10, 2012 | 5
            inShare39

Sharing TIME stories with friends is easier than ever. Add TIME to your Timeline.
            Learn More
            Getty Images
            Getty Images

The Great Recession has dramatically changed the way we value a college education. First came the argument that a college degree isn’t worth the cost. Now we’re bashing the venerable business degree.

The backdrop, of course, is historic disappointment with post-graduate opportunities. The unemployment rate for new college grads is the highest in years and an estimated 26% of those aged 25 to 34 can’t find work. That doesn’t square with nearly $1 trillion outstanding in student loans. You can understand how some would question the value of a college degree.

(MORE: Fixing Faddish Earlobe Holes Can Cost Thousands)

Meanwhile, pay on Wall Street—where a lot of top business majors hope to land—is going down. Compensation this year will be the lowest since the financial crisis, and the partners at bellwether firm Goldman Sachs are bracing for bonuses that are half or less than what they got last year.

Worse for business majors, new research suggests that the major is overcrowded with underachieving students and that businesses themselves value the discipline less.
            College expert and blogger Lynn O’Shaughnessy writes:

“Not pursuing an undergrad business degree can actually boost the chances of getting into MBA programs. At some schools, less than 25% of students have an undergrad business degree.”

She goes on to note that the blockbuster book, Academically Adrift, posits that business students learn the least in college and that a new report from the National Survey of Student Engagement concludes business majors study less than other college students.

One in five students pursues a business degree, which is probably more than the world needs. As O’Shaughnessy writes:

“What employers really want, according to workplace surveys, are college grads who can think effectively, communicate and write. Students can obtain these skills from any major, but plenty of research has concluded that students who earn degrees in the liberal arts enjoy a better chance of meeting these job requirements.”

I don’t buy the argument that college is a waste of money. A body of research shows that grads earn a lot more money than non-grads over the course of their life. That doesn’t mean student loans aren’t a huge problem for those with degrees and no job. It’s a good idea to attend college on the cheap—state schools, community college credits—if you are pursuing a low paying or crowded field. But for most grads the payoff should be there.

(MORE: Will Tensions With Iran Really Push Gasoline to $5 a Gallon?)

A business degree is another thing. This line of study probably has become too popular. Colleges are minting money-focused graduates in a work world that increasingly values critical thinking and softer skills like the ability to communicate. Today’s workplaces often offer more opportunities for those centered on intrinsic rewards like doing what makes them happy and making a difference. The long maligned liberal arts degree may be more practical than you think.

And make sure to fit some serious math courses in between all those English and history seminars: The 20 best-paying college degrees in 2011 all required advanced math skills, according to compensation firm PayScale.

Read more: http://moneyland.time.com/2012/01/10...#ixzz28X1et4wo

Comment

there's probably room for you.. those two majors have a nice ring to them.

why are you planning on leaving the motherland? you know, "god save the queen," and all that?
              Don't change the topic, K. Don't turn it into a straw man.

What you claimed was that Business degree was as valuable as STEM from an immigration standpoint.

That was the discussion.

But since you wanted the proof, here is just ONE survey that shows unemployment rates by major. You will notice that by far, the most popular major is Business. thus, the sample size and population of the unemployed (among business majors) is highest.

http://www.studentsreview.com/unempl..._by_major.php3

You're welcome.

i do not even know what "STEM" is. read what i posted.

additionally, it appears as though the unemployment rate for business majors isn't spectacularly high. it's not great, but they're not all on the dole. i'm not going to scrutinize the link, but that's the way it appears on the outset.
              Last edited by New England; 10-06-2012, 10:12 AM.

Comment

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...in;contentBody

8 Reasons Not to Get a Business Degree

12 Comments
                /
                1K Shares /
                54 Tweets /
                Stumble /
                Email
                More +

This post is part of a series on college degrees that you may want to avoid. Read my other post: 5 Reasons Not to Get a Law Degree.
                Thinking about getting a business degree?

Business degrees are hot, but you might want to reconsider your decision. Here are eight reasons why you should not major in business:
                1. Business majors don't learn much in business school.

That's one of the bombshell conclusions of Academically Adrift, a new blockbuster bestseller that suggests that 45% of college students don't learn much of anything in their first two years of college, while more than one out of three students graduate with no improvement in writing and analytical skills.

Among the students who learn the least in college are social work, education and business majors. In contrast, the researchers found that students majoring in the humanities, social sciences, hard sciences and math do relatively well.
                2. You won't make as much money as you think.
                If you're interested in making tons of money, here's a wake-up call: in the latest college degree salary survey from PayScale, business is NOT one of the best-paying college degrees.

When PayScale looked at starting and mid-career salaries of college graduates in dozens of college majors, business came in as the 56th best-paying college degree. It fared worse than such "impractical" college degrees as philosophy, history and American studies.

3. The job market is crawling with business majors.
                It's hard to stand out from the crowd when more than one out of every five new college grads is a business major.
                What you're telegraphing when you major in business is that you want to make money, but do you have what it takes to some day earn that corner office?
                4. Your quality of life could suck.
                Prominent labor economists examined what Harvard Business School grads were doing 15 years after graduating and certain business majors were having a difficult time juggling career and home life. Here's a post that I wrote about the study: The Perils of Majoring in Business.
                5. Majoring in business could hurt your MBA chances.
                Not having an undergrad business degree can actually help when applying to MBA programs. At some MBA programs less than 25% of their students possess undergrad business degrees. One study documented that business undergrads actually performed worse in MBA programs than non-business majors.
                6. You don't need a business degree to work in business.
                You're kidding yourself if you think a business degree gives you the skills to work in the corporate world.

A employer survey conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers indicates that workplaces most value these three skills that you are usually more likely to find with a liberal arts eduction:

Communication skills.
                Analytic skills.
                Teamwork skills.

What's more, a survey by the Association of American Colleges and Universities found that 89% of surveyed employees said they want college students to pursue a liberal arts education.
                7. You can make more money with an economics degree.
                Economics majors earn more.

On PayScale's list of the highest paying college majors, economics came in No. 10. Engineering majors dominated the rest of the top-paying degrees. Economics is one of the liberal arts so you are more likely to learn how to write and think in college, which is what employers covet in their workers.

Illustrious econ majors include Warren Buffettt, Steve Ballmer, Ted Turner, Steve Fossett, Henry Kravis, Diane von Furstenberg, Esther Dyson, Bill Belichick and Mick Jagger
                8. Your parents want you to major in business.
                Don't be a wuss and major in business because your parents are nagging you. If you're pressured into majoring in business or any other major, studies show that you'll be less likely to succeed professionally AND financially.
                More on CBS MoneyWatch:
                25 Colleges With the Worst Professors
                25 Colleges With the Best Professors
                10 Hottest Careers in America
                Paying For College With a Duffle Bag Stuffed With Cash
                Lynn O'Shaughnessy is the author of The College Solution and she also writes for TheCollegeSolutionBlog.
                Business major image by epicharmus. CC 2.0.
                © 2011 CBS Interactive Inc.. All Rights Reserved.

Comment

i do not even know what "STEM" is. read what i posted.
                  STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering & Math.

Those are the preferred majors and occupations. Most of the good-paying unfilled jobs are in "STEM".

You will find MANY more companies willing to sponsor H1B visas, etc for STEM occupations.

I'm stating facts.

STEM majors >>>>> Typical Business major

The United States *****s out Business majors like bad Indian food.

Comment

STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering & Math.

Those are the preferred majors and occupations. Most of the good-paying unfilled jobs are in "STEM".

You will find MANY more companies willing to sponsor H1B visas, etc for STEM occupations.

I'm stating facts.

STEM majors >>>>> Typical Business major

The United States *****s out Business majors like bad Indian food.

i'm not disputing any of that. i'd say that's pretty common knowledge.

business has a higher celing, but i'd agree that the job market is more competitive at the entry level, and the pay grade at the entry level is probably below that of somebody in the "STEMs." Mind you, a match teacher isn't rolling in dough the way a top flight and highly specialized engineer might.

i'm guessing you've got a degree in the stems , ?

i have degrees in sociology and communication. i am in business. go figure.

Comment

data substantiating the claim that tens of thousands of business students work at starbucks? sure. match away. there are much worse degrees to have than one in business or economics.
                      I am 25 with an Econ degree from anything-but-illustrious college, and I landed some great jobs with ease after graduating. I know tons and tons of mid-twenties business graduates and none of them are hard up for work. There are plenty of jobs for Econ and Finance grads in America and abroad.

None of us are working at Starbucks out of need. However, a small percentage of people with their degrees stay at their undergrad jobs, because it's a lot easy than starting a new career. Think bartenders who can already make 600+/wk.

Comment

Working...
                      X