Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey guys, just joined, whats a good way to start?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey guys, just joined, whats a good way to start?

I have a friend who is teaching me mixed martial arts, but what i like most of what he is teaching me is boxing. I would like to actually get into the sport if i can. I read the previous threads about what ya hafta do to start up, so i am up on that. At home i have freeweights, a gym machine, a treadmill, and a 80lbs heavy bag. Also have 12 oz. gloves and cotton hand wraps.

I am told i need a speed bag and some other gloves.

i guess i just need some direction. i am new to this whole boxing thing, i know just what i have seen on tv. You kno espn, rocky, raging bull. I realize thats probably a skiewed viewpoint of the sport but i want to kno more.

i kno about fitness and nutrition and a have basically a full gym at home. is there anything else i need for the home gym to be able to train at home?

is there a amatuer league that i could join up with eventually, Where is the start?

What state are you in first of all. The only amatuer boxing in the country is sanctioned by the usa/abf. If you tell me what state your in I may be able to get a phone number of the head of the usa/abf in your state and then he could direct you to a gym or a tournament or show.........Rockin'

Comment

i live in pennsylvania

Comment

Yeah instead of starting my own thread on this I figured I'd just wait for the answer considering that I live in PA too. Lancaster is kind of close to me I think it's like two hours away. One question that I have though is how in shape do you think someone should be before they start to train for boxing. I mean it's been about a good year and a half since I've done any heavy lifting. Also on the basis of gaining weight, I'm 185 lbs, I would like to but I don't know since it might make me a hell of a lot slower. Any response from this would be cool and sorry for asking questions on your thread ericcasper.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngel
          Yeah instead of starting my own thread on this I figured I'd just wait for the answer considering that I live in PA too. Lancaster is kind of close to me I think it's like two hours away. One question that I have though is how in shape do you think someone should be before they start to train for boxing. I mean it's been about a good year and a half since I've done any heavy lifting. Also on the basis of gaining weight, I'm 185 lbs, I would like to but I don't know since it might make me a hell of a lot slower. Any response from this would be cool and sorry for asking questions on your thread ericcasper.
          If u wanna be a boxer, dont lift for size, lift for speed/strength without gaining weight

check out www.rossboxing.com

Comment

To start boxing I would recommend being in some kind of shape, dont want to walk in unable to do basic exercises. Tomorrow I have a re-certification test with the ABF. We have to take one every 2 years to keep refereeing and judging. I will see about getting a number for you guys in Pennsylvania. If I am able to get you the number call this man, exchange what information is needed and then lose the number. These are busy people, just want you to understand that. They will help you but they will not do everything for you................Rockin'

Comment

#1 rule, training any combat sport: take the time necessary to warm up properly, and make avoiding injury your first priority. If you're injured, you can't train.

Muay Thai is the hardest sport on the body, probably, and MT guys usually spend at least 20 minutes on warmup and stretching alone, before ever hitting a pad or bag.

Also, NEVER hit the heavy bag until you are really warm.

Glucosamine + MSM + Chondroitin is your friend.

Comment

Oh yeah, if your friend is training you in ground fighting, too, DO NOT let him heelhook you until you are at something like Blue Belt level. He might want to teach you heel hooks and leg attacks because they will allow you to occasionally submit guys much more advanced than you, but you can F up your knees permanently by training these submissions before you know how to properly defend them, and when you must tap to them. Again, if you screw up your knees, you will end up having your training suffer as a consequence.

Comment

thanks for the info guys

Comment

If you're serious about learning to box and competing, don't make the same mistake as a lot of new guys who spend a bunch of time on their own or with friends, shadowboxing and working the bags and sparring, all without proper instruction. All you're doing is messing yourself up and developing bad habits that will cause you problems later. It's always easier for a coach to start fresh with someone than it is to try and train someone who's spent a year teaching himself to box.

I can't stress it enough. Start with a good coach right from day one. Every gym is used to guys coming in off the street and saying "Teach me to box". It's fine, so don't think you need to go in like an expert.

Also, click that link for Rossboxing up above, and register for their forums. Nice guys, tons of experience, lots of good advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X