No announcement yet.

NWO: Paul Williams

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tech101 View Post
    I am a new member here. But pls visit our homepage URL through my Signature and URL Link....
    WTF is this ****?

Comment

hes pretty good if can make welterweight effectively still that would throw a mojor wrench in pac or mayweather claiming they are the best. and he beat margarito back in his plaster of paris days

Comment

So what the hell is he doing? Back to WW for one of the beltholding stiffs or Berto?

Comment

I see Martinez is looking for a Williams rematch in October. Williams ought to do that instead of wasting his time begging for fights at 147 that will never happen. Still prefer he fights at 154, but this rematch needs to happen. Let's hope Williams doesn't get too greedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Clyde Barrow View Post
            I see Martinez is looking for a Williams rematch in October. Williams ought to do that instead of wasting his time begging for fights at 147 that will never happen. Still prefer he fights at 154, but this rematch needs to happen. Let's hope Williams doesn't get too greedy.
            Now he wants to brush off Martinez to pursue a Pac fight at 147 that won't ever happen. I like Williams but he's being a damn fool.

Comment

I don't know what to think of Williams challenging Pacquiao, it makes him look like a bully looking for the smallest kid to pick on.

Comment

I like Pwill. Dude is always gonna fight his ass off every time. But he fucked up big time when he balked and had to watch Sergio get to Pavlik first. The Martinez rematch is still the logical choice for him right now. He's a damn fool for thinkin Pac or Floyd will fight him at WW. I been screamin for the longest that he belongs at 154, and I think he cleans up there if he ever decides to try it. If he ain't gonna rematch Martinez for whatever reason, he better go to JMW.

Pwill uses his feet and knows how to clinch, but he still ain't too good a boxer. He needs better defense if he gonna beat Martinez in the rematch, assumin it happens. He maintains his height most of the time, but his chin can be dented by a good puncher when he gives it up. His res at this point looks pretty good. I wasn't surprised to see him struggle wit Cintron in that fight while it lasted. I think Pwill got belts in his future, but I don't see him risin to the superstar level.
                Last edited by MANGLER; 07-22-2010, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I think him and his handlers have made mistakes.

They left 147 to prove that they could be a threat at 154 and 160. Now they have a shot at the MW champ available to them, they're saying they want to go back and fight at 147? Crazy way to do things.

I don't like Arum or GBP, but if he was with one of them his career would be in a better place right now.

On the one hand he talks like he's avoided and is willing to fight anyone. But then when he has people like Clottey and Dzinziruk chasing him he isn't interested. I hear people say stuff like 'HBO rejected the fight', but PWill fought on Versus since being on HBO, Cotto, Pavlik and JMM have fought on independent PPVs in recent years, and Juanma just moved to Showtime, so I think something could've been worked out.

The fact is that some guys are big stars and can pick and choose, but the other 99.9% of boxers have to take tough fights for not-great paydays sometimes. I see him the same way I see Bradley, hopping up and down divisions in a futile attempt to get the attention of the big names rather than picking a weightclass and beating everyone there.

If Paul had stayed at 154 back in 2008, he could've been a unified or even undisputed champion now. As it is, Cotto and the Pac/Marg winner are gonna have belts there and Williams is still in the same position he was in 2 years ago. Part of that is because of boxing politics, but it's not the only factor. PWill's career is being mismanaged and him not rematching Martinez now is another part of that.

Comment

Well well, Sergio shut this one down eh? Not a brutal beatdown that ruins a man, but Williams had to have lost a lot of confidence in that KO. I suspect it's going to be a while before he fights a name again.

Comment

Originally posted by MurderDeathKill View Post
                      We all know Paul's deal; wants to fight anybody/everybody at 147-160. Still on that "most feared" thing, make of that what you will. Decent chin, crazy volume, great stamina, decent boxing skills. Avenged his lone loss violently. Has some names on his resume:

Mitchell (147)
                      Margarito (147)
                      Quintana (147)
                      Phillips (154)
                      Wright (160)
                      Martinez (160)
                      *Cintron (154)

I think at his best, he can beat everybody in his desired weight classes if he got the chance. I just don't see him going back to 147 and being strong by now. He's still screaming for Pac or Floyd, and I don't think he'll ever get either. His best bet is going after belts at MW or JMW imo.

Are you a Williams fan?
                      Who do you want him to fight next?
                      Who all can he beat?
                      How do you rate his resume and ability?
                      Will he go far in boxing, or will he falter?

What's NWO members' take on this guy?
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Are you a Williams fan?

I am a fan, he's one of my favorites in the game. And ive met him a few times here in his hometown. Most peeps probably dont know (or care) but he's really cool dude.

Who do you want him to fight next?

Get a warm-up, Andy Kolle type fight. After that, maybe go after someone like Spinks, then Joel Julio, then Angulo. If he beats Angulo (and i think he can), try to fight Dzizdzrick (i butchered that dudes name, no disrespect to him tho) for the 154lb title. Then he should try to unify a couple 154lb titles, fight Cintron again and then move up to 160lbs in a couple of years and stay there; 147lbs wouldnt do him any good unless he happens to grab a big fight.

Who all can he beat?

I wont count 147lbs, mainly because I doubt he will ever get a fight there again. I do think he can beat all the top fighters at 154lbs, including Cotto and Angulo. Ive heard that Dzizdrick is really good, but ive never seen Dzizdrick fight, so I cannot comment on him. At 160lbs, I think he could still give all of the fighters there a good run and beat most of them. His biggest problem is keeping his hands up. Until he does that consistently, he will always be at risk for getting KO'd at higher weights against strong fighters.

How do you rate his resume and ability?

His resume is pretty good; not stellar, but for someone who had some issues getting fights at 147lbs, then moving up in weight as fast as he did, its pretty good. Obviously the Kelly Pavlik fight would have looked good on there, as well as the Cotto fight some people were clamoring for after William's first title win at 147lbs. I think he will have some really solid names on his resume going forward tho, including (just a hunch): Spinks, Julio, Angulo, Cotto, Martyrosan, Cintron II, Martinez III, Sturm and Dzizdruik.

Honestly, Ive always thought of Paul as a good fighter who has a definite, glaring defensive lack. But he has incredible stamina, heart, pretty good handspeed, decent combos, somewhat light power and a good chin.

Will he go far in boxing, or will he falter?

I think he will have a really good career. He may not reach Pacman or Mayweather type status as far as $$ or star power, but I think he will definitely be a crowd and fan favorite until he decides to hang the gloves up. As far as where he will end up, I think he will win multiple titles at 154lbs and 160lbs. He may, way later in his career, try to move up to 168lbs (although i dont see it happening), and there is no way in hell he will go up to 175lbs like some people think. The only way I see him faltering is if he decided to stay at 147lbs, because I seriously doubt he could get that big $$ fight he is seeking, and I doubt most 147lb fighters would want to regularly get in the ring with him.

Comment

Working...
                      X