Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tyson Fury in his prime yet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fury has been training a lot harder in the last year. His weight is under 250 in his fights now, and that says a lot about his discipline.

I see Fury taking out Mitchell, Arreola, Helenius, Adamek. I'm not sure about Haye, Price or Povetkin. But Fury would lose against Wlad right now.

Fury should reach his prime within 2 years, and he'll have to challenge Wlad at that point or risk missing the opportunity, because Wlad will retire within 3 years.

Comment

since Price began to emerge a bit more, it's become trendy among English boxing fans to puff him up and put Fury down. presumably, Englishmen feel more inclined to root for 'umble Pricey with his handsome physique and one-punch power than they do for the mouthy tinker with the baby-fat.

Fury is the better prospect of the two, though. time shall reveal it. and i'm not just talking about the next one or two years.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
        Hates such a strong word and one I do not feel concerning boxers. I like Fury, he's an entertaining character with an exciting style. For a him his size he moves well, has a great engine and even works the body.

But he's not as good as you think.

Johnson was capable of beating Fury, or at least having a good go but he's such a lazy ****. Fury looked OK in the fight but still made some silly mistakes. Cunningham will pose a much bigger threat to Fury as he's not so unpredictable like Safety pin.

I don't overlook his wins, Johnson is a decent name on his resume but I'm waiting to see someone who'll match Fury's jab and give him some problems to deal with. If he comes through Cunningham I'll give him credit but I won't be satisfied until he fights someone his own size. In a division full of 'giants', he's yet to meet one.
        i'd say "strongly dislike then" at least LOL.

Agree on the big guy, it's better prep for a klitschko although he will learn something facing a guy like USS.

I would like to see him fight Helenius or Wach after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
          that's not the question, and even if it was i very much doubt that's true.
          i agree. Fury's physical prime age is a few years off yet.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
            Fury is the better prospect of the two, though. time shall reveal it. and i'm not just talking about the next one or two years.
            i should add that this depends on him keeping as level a head as possible (for a man with his troubled past) and maintaining (even deepening) his interest and discipline, so that he can develop as he should do.

Comment

that's not the question, and even if it was i very much doubt that's true.
              Well, I'm answering it the way I want to answer it. He's a big guy, so he's going to be at his fastest with the best possible stamina right now, not when he's 28. He may be a smarter fighter by then, but that's a given. For you to ask if he is in his prime right now that has nothing to do with being physical, is a ridiculous question.

Comment

i'd say "strongly dislike then" at least LOL.

Agree on the big guy, it's better prep for a klitschko although he will learn something facing a guy like USS.

I would like to see him fight Helenius or Wach after that.
                I don't dislike him though.

It's probably because whenever we talk, we always discuss Fury and that's probably why you think I don't like him. I'm not saying he's a bum or he's useless, I'm just saying that I'm not satisfied on what I've seen from him and there are still flaws that need to be addressed. Also, how he went from going life and death with McDermott to where he is now - what has changed?

I know he was going through a hard time in his life mentally and now he's in great shape, determined and proving himself against good opponents. But how much of that is down to his size?

Don't think I'm iffy on Fury and sold on Price, far from it. Fury's already had to dig deep and show us what he's got and that makes a fighter stronger where as Price hasn't been tested. I was the one who posted Price getting dropped by Fury in the amateurs, remember?

We haven't seen him go 12 nor have we seen him in a tough situation. He's not the perfect boxer either and is open to certain shots. Skelton managed to just walk into him within the first 30 seconds and whilst you're blowing away opposition, you can become complacent and develop bad habits.

I would've liked to have seen him fight Wach but it appears he's out of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
                  Well, I'm answering it the way I want to answer it. He's a big guy, so he's going to be at his fastest with the best possible stamina right now, not when he's 28. He may be a smarter fighter by then, but that's a given. For you to ask if he is in his prime right now that has nothing to do with being physical, is a ridiculous question.
                  You answered it the way you wanted because that way you don't have to give him any sort of thin praise.

I disagree that 24 is physical prime, he's still developing, 26-28 is physical prime

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                    I don't dislike him though.

It's probably because whenever we talk, we always discuss Fury and that's probably why you think I don't like him. I'm not saying he's a bum or he's useless, I'm just saying that I'm not satisfied on what I've seen from him and there are still flaws that need to be addressed. Also, how he went from going life and death with McDermott to where he is now - what has changed?

I know he was going through a hard time in his life mentally and now he's in great shape, determined and proving himself against good opponents. But how much of that is down to his size?

Don't think I'm iffy on Fury and sold on Price, far from it. Fury's already had to dig deep and show us what he's got and that makes a fighter stronger where as Price hasn't been tested. I was the one who posted Price getting dropped by Fury in the amateurs, remember?

We haven't seen him go 12 nor have we seen him in a tough situation. He's not the perfect boxer either and is open to certain shots. Skelton managed to just walk into him within the first 30 seconds and whilst you're blowing away opposition, you can become complacent and develop bad habits.

I would've liked to have seen him fight Wach but it appears he's out of the sport.
                    When Fury fought McDermott he was playing at boxing. He didn't train , he ate fast food and sweets and was in depression to the point of not caring if he won or lost.

Since then he's dropped 30lbs, got in shape, started to care about the sport and has a trainer who has improved his skilkset, temprement and intelligence

The fury from McDermott fights would have been knocked out by Kevin Johnson. He would have gassed mid rounds and got stopped. Without a doubt.

Comment

When Fury fought McDermott he was playing at boxing. He didn't train , he ate fast food and sweets and was in depression to the point of not caring if he won or lost.

Since then he's dropped 30lbs, got in shape, started to care about the sport and has a trainer who has improved his skilkset, temprement and intelligence

The fury from McDermott fights would have been knocked out by Kevin Johnson. He would have gassed mid rounds and got stopped. Without a doubt.
                      he now has a greater range of movement, gives more angles, his jab grows steadily more commanding and features subtle variation, technical nuances are being introduced and integrated.

ideally, i had wanted him to unite full-time with Emanuel Steward, something which is now no longer possible. but Uncle Peter is perhaps the best possible trainer he could have, short of one with such renown, experience and sympathy for Fury's particular attributes as Steward - by contrast with Tyson's father, Peter is a levelheaded man (as such, a fine influence on Tyson) who knows his stuff.
                      Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 01-31-2013, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X