Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A lot of these Haymon fighters that don't get enough fights got a way out with Hearn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
    Intersting debate, I think the wider perspective is that they don't necessarily need the subscribers from the US, the product is US/UK, why do the customers need to be? There are boxing fans all over the world that don't have access to these network channels, but guess what?...they do have internet and access to wifi. I think as they open up in different markets, as Netflix and others have done, the subscriptions will compound very quickly, without much added cost.

Obviously I feel that streaming is the way of the future, most new tv's have built in wifi and streaming content for a reason. The idea can't miss, its whether DAZN are going to be the ones that take it over the top and turn it mass market. Normally being first is an advantage, lets see. To be honest, I don't think it will be that long before they have real competition.

As far as people getting hung up on sports that they already have access to, I think there are plenty of people living in countries that you don't necessarily have access to the sports that you want to watch. For example - I am a huge NBA fan, but live in the UK, the coverage is better than it was 10 years ago, but still limited. I have friends and family who live in the US that love F1 that don't get great coverage. This is not even mentioning the markets in Europe and the rest of the world where people get even worse coverage or no coverage at all.
    Good post

And agree streaking is the way of the future but I guess it’s just will this service be the one that sticks

I could be wrong but I thought this announcement and service was only for US customers

Matchroom can still stick to whatever broadcast agreements they currently have internationally.

If they are able to offer this service to other countries DAZN operates in( Austria , Germany , Japan , Canada , Switzerland) then yeah I agree their chance of success increase especially if they go into other markets

But I’m still not sold on it being a runaway success l. I guess it all comes down to who Hearn signs and the fights he makes

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
      For sure the success of its boxing department in the long term depends on its ability to muscle into the American sports market overall. They were probably willing to pay so much for the boxing simply to keep their library full while they wrestle for the rights to other sports. I'm tentatively optimistic because so far they have given me the impression of being serious people with serious backing

With regards to its value for money purely from the perspective of a boxing fan, Hearn has said that the budget will be distributed into twelve regular shows and four big ones, so if these big ones truly turn out to be the type of shows that would have otherwise cost upwards of $60 on PPV then it should ultimately justify its price (60 x 4 = 20 x 12 so by current pricing standards you'd essentially be getting the twelve regular shows as a bonus)

For sure they’re serious and have the backing to be successful will they be I guess we’ll find out soon enough

But With the last paragraph you wrote I’m even less optimistic of their success

If the plan is to have 12 Matchroom UK / Us quality shows and 4 PPV worthy shows per year. I doubt this converts many people. Matchroom UK cards usually aren’t very good match ups and what they’ve put on HBO has been borderline sh.it this type of programming isn’t going to have people willing to pay for the service in large numbers

Boxing fans in the States have shown a unwillingness to pay for even the best PPV caliber fights ( Ward/Kov , Crawford / Postol ) and only the biggest names Mayweather , Canelo , PAC have proven they can generate over 500k PPVs and that’s usually against a top quality or known opponents

Hope I’m wrong

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
        For sure they’re serious and have the backing to be successful will they be I guess we’ll find out soon enough

But With the last paragraph you wrote I’m even less optimistic of their success

If the plan is to have 12 Matchroom UK / Us quality shows and 4 PPV worthy shows per year. I doubt this converts many people. Matchroom UK cards usually aren’t very good match ups and what they’ve put on HBO has been borderline sh.it this type of programming isn’t going to have people willing to pay for the service in large numbers

Boxing fans in the States have shown a unwillingness to pay for even the best PPV caliber fights ( Ward/Kov , Crawford / Postol ) and only the biggest names Mayweather , Canelo , PAC have proven they can generate over 500k PPVs and that’s usually against a top quality or known opponents

Hope I’m wrong
        With his huge budget he could allocate something like $2m per regular show and $25m per big show, which is surely enough to attract some top talent over to his side. His HBO budget seems to be around $1m per show so hopefully his DAZN shows are twice as good. I agree that if the content ends up being more or less the same as it is now except with larger purses then this will go the way of PBC. He needs to increase the quality of his product proportionally to the size of his budget

The 20 or so Matchroom UK shows that DAZN receives per year will just be extra stuff for the hardcores, I doubt they will really figure into anyone's decision to buy the service
        Last edited by NEETzsche; 05-11-2018, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
          Correct me if im wrong, but DAZN operates in 4 or 5 other countries more and new subscribers from those countries who sign up because of the boxing announcement are also counting for the boxing revenue.

If Hearn really delivers 16 US cards and 16 UK cards for DAZN, I wont hesitate to pay the monthly subscription fee for it.
          I don’t know

I was under the assumption it’s just a US service but I could very well be wrong and it could be available for their other territories.

Are you in 1 of the DAZN territories ? If so how do you watch Matchroom UK / HBO cards ?

I’d be hard pressed to buy it honestly because I don’t Stream ,

I paid an extra $ 15 per month so I could watch the WBSS on TV but I can record the fights and watch them later so for me it made sense

I know they offered the AJ / Parker fight on DAZN and I believe even A month free subscription. But I wasn’t interested and didn’t even contemplate buying it or signing up

I don’t stream and if I fight I want to watch isn’t available on TV I usually just wait a couple hrs or days and watch it on YouTube I cant imagine this being any different

Comment

Good post

And agree streaking is the way of the future but I guess it’s just will this service be the one that sticks

I could be wrong but I thought this announcement and service was only for US customers

Matchroom can still stick to whatever broadcast agreements they currently have internationally.

If they are able to offer this service to other countries DAZN operates in( Austria , Germany , Japan , Canada , Switzerland) then yeah I agree their chance of success increase especially if they go into other markets

But I’m still not sold on it being a runaway success l. I guess it all comes down to who Hearn signs and the fights he makes
            Yeah I think the announcement was definitely centred around a big US push, but the reality is, as well as the countries you mention, DAZN has the rights to a number of additional countries, and probably more in the pipeline. Obviously you would imagine that if it takes off, naturally the US would be one of, if not the biggest market due to population and culture.

To be honest, I am really failing to see how it won't be a success. As Hearn pointed out in many interviews yesterday, he has the most money, and money talks, so self admittedly he would really have to screw up for it not to succeed, I think he will be able to entice big fighters, and I don't think it will be difficult.

Time will tell, but relatively speaking they don't need that many subscriptions to break even on this deal, and they have a long time to get them.

Comment

With his huge budget he could allocate something like $2m per regular show and $25m per big show, which is surely enough to attract some top talent over to his side. His HBO budget seems to be around $1m per show so hopefully his DAZN shows are twice as good. I agree that if the content ends up being more or less the same as it is now except with larger purses then this will go the way of PBC. He needs to increase the quality of his product proportionally to the size of his budget

The 20 or so Matchroom UK shows that DAZN receives per year will just be extra stuff for the hardcores, I doubt they will really figure into anyone's decision to buy the service
              The UK shows will pay for themselves from UK revenue like they do now.

Comment

What I find a bit interesting is Arum was accused of having "In House fights" for years, yet when you look at the PBC / Showtime paradigm, how is that any different? Funny enough, Eddie Hearn is one of the only promoters who's had his fighters featured both on HBO and Showtime (Kell Brook, Danny Jacobs). I did find it interesting that Jermall in a recent interview stated he didn't need a promoter "Now" but that could change soon.

Comment

Good post like your perspective , agree

If it plays out like your suggestions, That’s what I like to hear

Sh.it if he has the funds and ability and talent to make 4 big super fights and 12 Showtime quality cards a year count me in I’m buying

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                  Yeah I think the announcement was definitely centred around a big US push, but the reality is, as well as the countries you mention, DAZN has the rights to a number of additional countries, and probably more in the pipeline. Obviously you would imagine that if it takes off, naturally the US would be one of, if not the biggest market due to population and culture.

To be honest, I am really failing to see how it won't be a success. As Hearn pointed out in many interviews yesterday, he has the most money, and money talks, so self admittedly he would really have to screw up for it not to succeed, I think he will be able to entice big fighters, and I don't think it will be difficult.

Time will tell, but relatively speaking they don't need that many subscriptions to break even on this deal, and they have a long time to get them.

Everything you said is True and nothing wrong with being optimistic

But I’m still a non believer though and think converting that many boxing fans into paying customers for a unknown streaming service is a reach lespecially in the US at least till I see the talent signed and fights made

boxing is filled with people having lots of $ at the jump and still failing for various reasons. It takes more then $ to succeed in boxing

From what I’ve read he has 2 years guaranteed with a six year option held by DAZN so he doesn’t really have that much time to get things rolling and fans interested in paying

Comment

I don’t know

I was under the assumption it’s just a US service but I could very well be wrong and it could be available for their other territories.

Are you in 1 of the DAZN territories ? If so how do you watch Matchroom UK / HBO cards ?

I’d be hard pressed to buy it honestly because I don’t Stream ,

I paid an extra $ 15 per month so I could watch the WBSS on TV but I can record the fights and watch them later so for me it made sense

I know they offered the AJ / Parker fight on DAZN and I believe even A month free subscription. But I wasn’t interested and didn’t even contemplate buying it or signing up

I don’t stream and if I fight I want to watch isn’t available on TV I usually just wait a couple hrs or days and watch it on YouTube I cant imagine this being any different
                    Yeah i live in germany and dazn has carried a couple high profile fights like Joshua and some of the hbo fights (golovkin, lomachenko).

sauerland also has the platform ran-fighting, which offers the wbss tournaments.

I would say 80% of boxing is not possible to legally watch in germany, so I have to use streams every weekend.

so I'm all in if hearn is giving dazn a lot of fights. dazn costs us 10 euro a month and you can cancel it month to month. it also is THE platform to get other American sports like American football and baseball, but I don't watch those sports. maybe some won't watch it only for boxing, but the boxing program could be the tipping point for others.

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
                      Yeah i live in germany and dazn has carried a couple high profile fights like Joshua and some of the hbo fights (golovkin, lomachenko).

sauerland also has the platform ran-fighting, which offers the wbss tournaments.

I would say 80% of boxing is not possible to legally watch in germany, so I have to use streams every weekend.

so I'm all in if hearn is giving dazn a lot of fights. dazn costs us 10 euro a month and you can cancel it month to month. it also is THE platform to get other American sports like American football and baseball, but I don't watch those sports. maybe some won't watch it only for boxing, but the boxing program could be the tipping point for others.
                      Yep - huge basketball fan living in the UK. Would be ideal for that and boxing. Also gives me the ability to watch it on delay first thing in the morning - for example if it was a Warriors game the night before.

Comment

Working...
                      X