Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who looked better, Rigo against Donaire or Loma against Russell?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who looked better, Rigo against Donaire or Loma against Russell?

These are the two best opponents that Rigo and Loma have faced, so who looked better, let's hear it?

I'll go first and say Rigondeaux

Actually I think the axeman was a better opponent and clearly a tougher opponent than donaire considering he smoked donaire in a few rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
      These are the two best opponents that Rigo and Loma have faced, so who looked better, let's hear it?

I'll go first and say Rigondeaux
      Agreed. I saw both fights (Rigo’s live, and on TV). I thought Rigo schooled Donaire, who was top-flight at the time. And while Lomo’s victory was clear versus a very good fighter, I didn’t think it was quite as impressive. Guillermo put on a master-class. Vasyl simply beat his opponent.

Comment

Rigo. Outclassed a much bigger Donaire who was in his pomp. That was before he lost to Walters which should put it into perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
          Actually I think the axeman was a better opponent and clearly a tougher opponent than donaire considering he smoked donaire in a few rounds.
          nah walters was inactive for a whole year and rigo destroyed nonito before walters, nonito was at his peak and destroying everyone in his path till he met his daddy rigondeaux...

Comment

Rigo looked a little better but Lomachenko had a great performance aswell

Comment

Master Rigo all day. People will always talk about what a masterclass that fight was, nobody remembers Loma vs Russell even now.

Comment

Both impressive but probably Russell. He's a better fighter at 126 than what Donaire was at 122. Donaire wasn't quite the same fighter as he was lower down in weight when his size advantage made him dominant.

The Walters one is the most impressive between the two fighters as Walters was a better fighter than Donaire by a distance but I think Russell may be even better than Walters.

Comment

Between the two performances mentioned in the OP, I'd have to state that Rigondeaux's performance over Nonito Donaire was more impressive. However, Lomachenko's performance against Nicholas Walters was more impressive in my opinion than any of Rigondeaux's performance against any opponent, including against Nonito Donaire.

There are claims about how Walters only had a year layoff before he boxed against Vasyl Lomachenko. However, Nicholas Walters has had lay offs of similar duration in the past against other opponents and he beat them. So one can't just use that as an excuse in his fight against Lomachenko to diminish Lomachenko's win over Walters.

Also, Nicholas Walters stopped Nonito Donaire whilst Rigondeaux beat Nonito Donaire by decision. So even though Nonito Donaire was coming off a loss that he already had against Rigondeaux. He wasn't coming off a knockout loss but only a decision loss when he was stopped for the first time in his career by Nicholas Walters. Therefore, Walter's stoppage win over the previously UN-KO'ed Nonito Donaire is probably just as impressive, if not more impressive than Rigondeaux's decision win over Nonito Donaire. Especially when also taking into consideration that Nonito Donaire had already lost by decision early on in his career before he boxed against Rigondeaux whilst he never lost by stoppage prior to boxing against Nicholas Walters. The fact that Lomachenko beat Walters (who had those aforementioned accomplishments) in the manner that he did in merely his 8th bout makes that win of his more impressive than any of Rigondeaux's wins from an objective standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                    Both impressive but probably Russell. He's a better fighter at 126 than what Donaire was at 122. Donaire wasn't quite the same fighter as he was lower down in weight when his size advantage made him dominant.

The Walters one is the most impressive between the two fighters as Walters was a better fighter than Donaire by a distance but I think Russell may be even better than Walters.

Based on what? Who has Gary Russel Jr beaten?
                    Even if we are to totally ignore all the other divisions that Donaire fought in and won world titles at he did more at 122 in about 5 fights than Russel Jr has done in his whole career.
                    I'm not sure he has ever even beaten a top 20 opponent outside of a shot Gonzalez.

Nearly 30 fights and his resume consists of beating a way, way past prime Gonzalez, losing to a 2 fight novice and rematching TBA 26 times.

Comment

Working...
                    X