No announcement yet.

Texas Cop Tries to Arrest Wrong Man on Out-of-State Warrant in his Front Yard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
    Because that's exactly what's happening (the bold).....

I'll need a scenario to give you my threshold of caring.
    There is no threshold. You're willing to cooperate with cops breaking the law & the 4th amendment. You can't be ok with cops breaking the law & 4th amendment in one scenario and then not be ok with it in another scenario. Wrong is wrong no matter what the scenario. That's why I say your foundation is weak

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      There is no threshold. You're willing to cooperate with cops breaking the law & the 4th amendment. You can't be ok with cops breaking the law & 4th amendment in one scenario and then not be ok with it in another scenario. Wrong is wrong no matter what the scenario. That's why I say your foundation is weak
      I certainly do have a threshold. You asked me what other freedoms I'd be willing to hand over to the police. I need specifics.

Will I let the police enter my home and tear it apart looking for ''something'' ?!?!?

No

Will I give a fu ck if I ''have to'' prove who I am ?!?!?

No

My quality of life isn't dependent on my right to withhold who I am

Levels to everything

Comment

Are y'all seriously advocating a "show me your papers" society? You're ok with willfully surrending your 4th amendment rights?

No matter how belligerent the man is it's the cops who are breaking the law & violating his civil rights. I think thats a good reason to be belligerent.
        when i was 12 i may have been belligerent. get laid bruhs.

Comment

I certainly do have a threshold. You asked me what other freedoms I'd be willing to hand over to the police. I need specifics.

Will I let the police enter my home and tear it apart looking for ''something'' ?!?!?

No

Will I give a fu ck if I ''have to'' prove who I am ?!?!?

No

My quality of life isn't dependent on my right to withhold who I am

Levels to everything
          You're missing the whole point. When it comes to right and wrong there should be no threshold. Right is right and wrong is wrong.

Comment

When doesn't calmer heads prevail ?!?!?
            If you had a warrant out for your arrest, you would volunteer that info when asked ?!?!?
            What is more important? a matter of principle? or a matter of convenience?

before you answer that...think it through because when one makes such a decision other factors come into play. There is perhaps no right answer, maybe if black guys helped the stupid cop with his recognition strategy and didn't make a fuss we would all sleep better at night. Or maybe more and more stupid cops could now be hired to do stupid things like shoot people because they felt threatened and could do so...Think it through a moment.

And maybe a Black man on his lawn, wife and kids in tow, should smile to his family as the cop tries to make a decision and is dumb enough to even handcuff the guy because the guy doesnt have his id on his property...

But maybe the thought of a weak and stupid person given authority by the state, grabbing at your arm, on your property because of a theory he has, and you not being able to do what natural law dictates... would make you a little angry? And maybe cops should be taught to understand that property and property rights in this country are taken seriously, which is why we can own property in the first place...and that you do not ticket people on their property, nor do you grab at them because of a "maybe" on their land, no...You look carefully and if need be get a warrant.

Rights are like muscles, if one does not exerscize them they will surely atrophy. The day a cop can walk up to a man on his land and treat him like a suspect because of a possibility, is the day when we won't have any protections from the government when it decides we might be guilty. No cop has the right to demand an Id from you because you might fit a description.
            Last edited by billeau2; 05-18-2019, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I would assume, based on how he handled it, he has had interaction with law enforcement before.

That was the right way to handle it. From the position he was in, at least.

Someone else could just consent to providing and ID, and having the matter over with. But he had no reason to present an ID, and being able to make the Cop uncomfortable was definitely to his advantage.

again, not the way for most people to handle it. but he played that situation very well.

Comment

You're missing the whole point. When it comes to right and wrong there should be no threshold. Right is right and wrong is wrong.
                Life isn't that B/W (no pun intended).

If I'm not bothered, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. My life wouldn't be adversely affected.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  What is more important? a matter of principle? or a matter of convenience?

before you answer that...think it through because when one makes such a decision other factors come into play. There is perhaps no right answer, maybe if black guys helped the stupid cop with his recognition strategy and didn't make a fuss we would all sleep better at night. Or maybe more and more stupid cops could now be hired to do stupid things like shoot people because they felt threatened and could do so...Think it through a moment.

And maybe a Black man on his lawn, wife and kids in tow, should smile to his family as the cop tries to make a decision and is dumb enough to even handcuff the guy because the guy doesnt have his id on his property...

But maybe the thought of a weak and stupid person given authority by the state, grabbing at your arm, on your property because of a theory he has, and you not being able to do what natural law dictates... would make you a little angry? And maybe cops should be taught to understand that property and property rights in this country are taken seriously, which is why we can own property in the first place...and that you do not ticket people on their property, nor do you grab at them because of a "maybe" on their land, no...You look carefully and if need be get a warrant.

Rights are like muscles, if one does not exerscize them they will surely atrophy. The day a cop can walk up to a man on his land and treat him like a suspect because of a possibility, is the day when we won't have any protections from the government when it decides we might be guilty. No cop has the right to demand an Id from you because you might fit a description.
                  For me, in this type of situation, it's always about convenience. This cop, while wrong, kept it civil. He's doing his job. He doesn't know he's making a mistake. I will be more that happy to help him with this confusion.

If a person is hellbent on turning every slight into an argument, perhaps that person needs to reevaluate how he/she handles stress.

We are also free to handle situations as we see fit. Obviously the cop has a reason for asking me for my ID. If I have nothing to hide, I PERSONALLY also have no reason not to provide my info.

I want to nip this ''issue'' in the bud. I don't want to have to respond to the same inquiry that has nothing to do with me. After the cop is assured I'm not who they are after, I will then ask if this has been cleared up completely.

If you think me surrendering this freedom will lead to the downfall of our free society, you needn't worry.

If you feel the opposite way, leaving room for escalation, you're free to do so.

Comment

*Read thread title*

"Why the **** would this be national news? These things happen every day in every town."

*Clicks*

"Oh it's a black guy so it's being used as 'evidence of the secret white supremacist conspiracy'... But everyone will see through the BS and just dislike black people for demanding special treatment... And the world continues along its standard path... Yawn"
                    Last edited by ////; 05-19-2019, 10:56 PM.

Comment

For me, in this type of situation, it's always about convenience. This cop, while wrong, kept it civil. He's doing his job. He doesn't know he's making a mistake. I will be more that happy to help him with this confusion.

If a person is hellbent on turning every slight into an argument, perhaps that person needs to reevaluate how he/she handles stress.

We are also free to handle situations as we see fit. Obviously the cop has a reason for asking me for my ID. If I have nothing to hide, I PERSONALLY also have no reason not to provide my info.

I want to nip this ''issue'' in the bud. I don't want to have to respond to the same inquiry that has nothing to do with me. After the cop is assured I'm not who they are after, I will then ask if this has been cleared up completely.

If you think me surrendering this freedom will lead to the downfall of our free society, you needn't worry.

If you feel the opposite way, leaving room for escalation, you're free to do so.
                      I don't think your perspective is wrong, I don't think a person who sees this as compromising their rights is wrong.

Both perspectives are valid. I can't fault this guy, I would tend to take the path of least resistance myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X