Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones fights these 1930's heavies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When your best win above 175 is the basic HW contender John Ruiz, its hard to say.

On eye test I give him a great chance to beat any of them.

Some interesting results from the 30s between these HWs and great LHW's stepping up that could be relevant here:

Max Schmelling TKO8 over Mickey Walker
    Tommy Loughran UD over Max Baer
    Primo Carnera UD over Tommy Loughran
    Jack Sharkey TKO3 over Tommy Loughran
    Tommy Loughran UD over Jack Sharkey
    Mickey Walker draw with Jack Sharkey

As we can see a mixed bag. Loughran and Walker had much better resumes than RJJ, but on eye test we can see that prime Roy is much better than his resume ultimately shows.

I suspect if he fully threw himself into it, he would prove to be a top fighter in the era, but can see him taking some big losses a times as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
      I don’t understand why you think this is a troll.

Baer was a demolisher of men with at least one in ring fatality to his name arguably 2, and they were much bigger guys than RJJ. He has what 30 pounds on RJJ (about 60 pounds if you compare their natural weights), 3.5 inches of height and 7 inches of reach.

Braddock was a big guy, RJJ would be at a sizeable size disadvantage. Braddock was also incredibly technically skilled with a masterpiece of a jab and great speed, combined with great power and an iron chin. He is also the only man in history to fight evenly with a Prime Joe Louis. It would be a good small man against a good big man.
      Braddock was 194 pounds at about 6 feet or 6'1 when he became the champion. I agree about his chin but his punching power, I wouldn't call it great or call him a great technician. RJJ was 193 pounds when he beat Ruiz and I'll say and I think most would agree, that RJJ was a lot more skilled than Braddock.

RJJ could have came in against Baer at 185-190ish pounds or so. Maxie was about 6'2 210 lbs. Besides Joe Louis, RJJ would easily be the most skilled and fastest fighter that he ever fought. If not for Maxie's power, he'd have no chance against RJJ. But Max would have to land cleanly on RJJ first. And it certainly wouldn't be in the first round. Even if he did, Baer would likely be getting out boxed and way down on the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
        Braddock was 194 pounds at about 6 feet or 6'1 when he became the champion. I agree about his chin but his punching power, I wouldn't call it great or call him a great technician. RJJ was 193 pounds when he beat Ruiz and I'll say and I think most would agree, that RJJ was a lot more skilled than Braddock.

RJJ could have came in against Baer at 185-190ish pounds or so. Maxie was about 6'2 210 lbs. Besides Joe Louis, RJJ would easily be the most skilled and fastest fighter that he ever fought. If not for Maxie's power, he'd have no chance against RJJ. But Max would have to land cleanly on RJJ first. And it certainly wouldn't be in the first round. Even if he did, Baer would likely be getting out boxed and way down on the cards.
        Braddock was 6’3”, as was Max, though he had the frame of a much larger man (even his mother was bigger than RJJ and his brother was the size of a Klitschko), as evidenced by his colossal reach and the fact that at 220 pounds he was as skinny as a Victoria’s Secret supermodel !

Braddock was a natural 190 pounder and was extremely lean and conditioned at that weight while RJJ was a blown-up 160 pounder who looked like he should have been called Rotund Jones Jr at that weight. Maxie weighed 210-220 pounds. Meaning he was almost the same size as a young Lennox Lewis.

You make out boxing someone with a 7 inch reach advantage seem easy. Max looks sloppy because he fought to his opposition, he was very skilled against foes that required it. He’ll respect RJJ’s speed and skill and fight seriously.

Braddock was the only man in history who fought evenly against a prime Joe Louis. RJJ never demonstrated anything at heavyweight to lead us to believe he could do the same. Braddock is no John Ruiz, he is about thrice as fast and he is no featherfist. RJJ won’t be able to take his punches.

Both would be the tallest men RJJ has ever fought and Baer would have the longest reach that RJJ has ever faced.
        Last edited by Dempsey19; 04-08-2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

- -Tommy Farr out of his southpaw stance had Joe on the rare backfoot for much of that fight, hardly a gimme for Joe.

Billy Conn 1!!!

Nobody today a bigger Louis fan than I, but sugarcoating his record ain't even disingenuous.

Roy vs Louis in their primes would be an interesting chess match Louis would have to solve like the Conn fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey19 View Post
            Braddock was 6’3”, as was Max, though he had the frame of a much larger man (even his mother was bigger than RJJ and his brother was the size of a Klitschko), as evidenced by his colossal reach and the fact that at 220 pounds he was as skinny as a Victoria’s Secret supermodel !

Braddock was a natural 190 pounder and was extremely lean and conditioned at that weight while RJJ was a blown-up 160 pounder who looked like he should have been called Rotund Jones Jr at that weight. Maxie weighed 210-220 pounds. Meaning he was almost the same size as a young Lennox Lewis.

You make out boxing someone with a 7 inch reach advantage seem easy. Max looks sloppy because he fought to his opposition, he was very skilled against foes that required it. He’ll respect RJJ’s speed and skill and fight seriously.

Braddock was the only man in history who fought evenly against a prime Joe Louis. RJJ never demonstrated anything at heavyweight to lead us to believe he could do the same. Braddock is no John Ruiz, he is about thrice as fast and he is no featherfist. RJJ won’t be able to take his punches.

Both would be the tallest men RJJ has ever fought and Baer would have the longest reach that RJJ has ever faced.
            Where are you getting your info on Braddock? Loved the man! Accomplished something remarkable but he was not competative with Joe Louis, Louis was a lot better and made easy work of Jim...Unless I am missing something? would not be the first time mind you and if Braddock did fight Louis well that would be nice to hear. He was a smart and crafty fighter who learned to turn adversity into success, putting him in a rare class of guys like Marciano, who managed to make a career out of being too short, too small, too little finess, etc...

With Braddock he turned into a two handed fighter. And beating Max was a remarkable fiat. But he was not a fighter on Louis' level.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              When your best win above 175 is the basic HW contender John Ruiz, its hard to say.
              - -Prob Ruiz Ring ranked for at least a decade and instrumental in holding and fighting for the WBA title, so looks like back to grade school for you.

Thanks for revealing yer level.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                - -Prob Ruiz Ring ranked for at least a decade and instrumental in holding and fighting for the WBA title, so looks like back to grade school for you.

You sir are not close to a full deck... Im beginning to think...Queenie are you Sonny boy? There are precious few who could type something like that with conviction. Ruiz might a been a decent champ if he ever threw a punch...

Comment

- -He threw a steady jab and grab as part of Kings dying last gasp thru the WBA that included Valuev, chagaev, field, and pinkie toe Haye.

Guess you were too busy with yer play dough figurines to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post

Ben brings up some solid points.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

Can’t be calling belt holders champs when comparing across history. So basically he was a solid contender just like I said.

Get over yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X