No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Louis At HW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Louis At HW

The Jones who fought Ruiz vs a prime Louis at Heavyweight.......

Who would take this fight and how would it plan out.

Could Jones's speed, reflexes anf footwok give Louis hell? similar to billy conn. or would Louis punch to hard for superman.

Jones would get bombed out.

Roids won't save him this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
      Jones would get bombed out.

Roids won't save him this time.
      Do you think he would get knocked out quick? I dont know, movers always gave Louis problems etc Conn, Walcott, Charles. And Roy is super fast and in his prime had reflexes like a cat.

I think this is a pretty interesting fight. hope to get some more views on it!

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
        Do you think he would get knocked out quick? I dont know, movers always gave Louis problems etc Conn, Walcott, Charles. And Roy is super fast and in his prime had reflexes like a cat.

I think this is a pretty interesting fight. hope to get some more views on it!
        No, to be honest, Louis had a hard time with speedy guys.

Jones wouldn't last with Louis' power, but Louis will have to catch him first. I'd expect the early rounds to go Jones' way.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
          No, to be honest, Louis had a hard time with speedy guys.

Jones wouldn't last with Louis' power, but Louis will have to catch him first. I'd expect the early rounds to go Jones' way.
          yeah. but jersey joe walcott never had a very good set of whiskers and louis coundt get to him the first time they met. I feel Jones is just as fast as walcott in hand and foot if not faster, due to louis being a such a hard hitter, I feel roy would be extra sharp in reflexes.

Comment

yeah. but jersey joe walcott never had a very good set of whiskers and louis coundt get to him the first time they met. I feel Jones is just as fast as walcott in hand and foot if not faster, due to louis being a such a hard hitter, I feel roy would be extra sharp in reflexes.
            If we are talking about Fantasy matchups let's take these fighters at their best and not after their prime like Louis was against Walcott.

If you want a fight, try using the first Conn fight.

When Roy was at HW I also questioned his stamina which wasn't tested like it could have been by Ruiz who sat and did little.

Roy wouldn't have to be at 200 like he was against Ruiz to be at his best. I don't even think he had to be that high in the first place against Ruiz and if anything, it limited his stamina and movement some more. Maybe it helped him absorb some shots though.

I also think Roy had already been on his athletic decline by the time he got to Ruiz. He was just so ahead of the game that even Roy in his 30's seemed like that same phenom.

Comment

Walcott had a good enough chin to take the rocks best shots all the way to the 13th round (I know the rematch was a 1 round KO, but I beleive walcott just didnt want to be there, or go through what he did from the first fight).

Roy could stay away for the early rounds, but Louis would catch him eventually.

Comment

Louis certainly wouldn't beat him easy, but I'm pretty sure he'd beat him though.. I can see a longer version of Julian Jackson vs Herol Graham, with Jones fighting comfortably from the outside, moving in & out while easily winning on points only to be hit with something special towards the end.. You have to remember, that a prime Louis hit a lot harder than Tarver or Johnson, and this was with either hand...

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
                  If we are talking about Fantasy matchups let's take these fighters at their best and not after their prime like Louis was against Walcott.

If you want a fight, try using the first Conn fight.

When Roy was at HW I also questioned his stamina which wasn't tested like it could have been by Ruiz who sat and did little.

Roy wouldn't have to be at 200 like he was against Ruiz to be at his best. I don't even think he had to be that high in the first place against Ruiz and if anything, it limited his stamina and movement some more. Maybe it helped him absorb some shots though.

I also think Roy had already been on his athletic decline by the time he got to Ruiz. He was just so ahead of the game that even Roy in his 30's seemed like that same phenom.
                  my point with bringing walcott up is that louis always had problems with fast boxers and movers. and i feel this would play into roy's hands.

and i feel roy had faster hands than conn and walcott, and was faster footed and handed than conn and maybe walcott.

and roy wound't have to make a certain weight limt to be a heavyweight, he could come in what he wanted. which could make him even faster.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                    Louis certainly wouldn't beat him easy, but I'm pretty sure he'd beat him though.. I can see a longer version of Julian Jackson vs Herol Graham, with Jones fighting comfortably from the outside, moving in & out while easily winning on points only to be hit with something special towards the end.. You have to remember, that a prime Louis hit a lot harder than Tarver or Johnson, and this was with either hand...
                    but when roy fought tarver and johnson, he wasnt the same fighter no more, because of losing all that muscle which destroyed his punched resistance and just ruined him as a fighter.

do you do make a good point, in saying it could be similar to jackson graham.
                    Last edited by Gettin Jiggy; 07-13-2009, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X