No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez Legacy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
    My intention is not to ignore the impact of Sergio's injury; it's just that I don't buy into it the same way others do. While I recognize that his injury played a role in his performance, I don't believe it was as severe as a lot of other posters think. I simply disagree on that front.

In my opinion, Martinez made such a big deal out of the knee situation because he discovered it was a weapon he could use to trash-talk Cotto. Let's not forget that Martinez was the one who eventually started the whole "diva" nickname, out of all random things. The trash-talk came off as if Martinez were merely interested in hitting Cotto however he could, and then he toned it down with confidence later on (Tyson Fury-esque).

In other words, yes, I believe the knee played a role, but not for one second do I buy that Martinez fought "crippled" or unable to perform to a degree well enough for victory. Let's also not forget that, even with the injury, most experts still picked Martinez to win. It wasn't until Cotto embarrassed him that this whole "crippled" exaggeration appeared.

If Martinez had been in such a desperate state for money, don't you think he would've kept fighting, even after Cotto? Your theories assume that Martinez was willing to sell his pride and career in exchange for a paycheck, that he'd be willing to give all he had worked for away instead of retiring. I don't believe it. Fighters who are that desperate generally continue to fight, even after losing (think Roy Jones, Mosley). So, I'm supposed to believe that Martinez knew he couldn't perform, and therefore gave his lineal championship away, all because his Cotto-fight paycheck solved everything? Doubt it.

What I've been trying to get at is that, in sports, every single athlete has to deal with injuries (sometimes permanent) that affect their performance. Anyone who has followed Cotto knows that his right arm pales in comparison to the left, not because of power necessarily but awkward delivery (obviously due to the broken bones and titanium plate insertion). It's almost like he's a one-handed fighter half the time, because it could be argued that his right arm holds him back significantly, practically working against him on occasions. I doubt anyone here can, seriously, tell me that Cotto's career hasn't been significantly affected by that accident. It is what it is.

To make my argument current and show how it relates to other sports in general, just look at the NBA finals right now. It's obvious that Curry has serious ankle/knee issues. He shouldn't be playing, but he is. Curry could be taking years off his career right now, but it's about performance. Every athlete has serious issues going on but, at the end of the day, they either perform, or they don't. Curry just performed. Sport is merciless. It will not care for Cotto's broken arm, Curry's ankles, nor will it care for Sergio's knee issues.

You're all allowed to make an argument for Martinez winning a fight in a prime-vs-prime match-up, of course, but, as the real fight itself proves, there is a strong possibility that Cotto could have won that match-up, as well. To act like a prime Martinez would've just destroyed a prime Cotto not only ignores reality, but also puts Martinez's integrity into question. Not to mention that no one here knows what kind of fighter Cotto would've become had he himself not been assaulted with plaster. Never thought of that? Do I get to re-write history because it wasn't fair that this happened to Cotto? Nope. All I have is Cotto, as is, facing young, prime fighters like Canelo. It is what it is.
    The injury was so bad that he needed a surgery before the fight and I think he also had a surgery before the murray fight. Sergio was able to take Chavez Jr shots and you think he couldn't handle Cotto's power? the same Cotto that couldn't hurt Canelo in any way? Martinez was there to be hit... he couldn't move. It was a mess of a fight unfortunately. He still thought he had a chance, I don't think he wanted to fool people. He thought ok I'm shot but after all Cotto is a JMW and I should be able to beat him.

Comment

Canelo is a vastly superior fighter to Chavez JR. Junior is indeed a big man, but a lot of that is also due to his training issues. Size doesn't equal everything, even when it comes to power. Plus, I wouldn't underestimate Cotto's power, at all. You have to remember that it is possible Canelo was 180+ on fight night and, since he turned himself into a heavy bag, we may not even know how effective Cotto's shots truly were.

For example, when Margarito beat Cotto the first time, everyone was raving about how Cotto's shots did "nothing" to Margarito. That Margarito "had no respect for his power." To this day, people still claim that. Margarito himself would claim that "Cotto hits like a girl." However, Margarito's own trainer is quoted as saying that he had never seen Margarito as affected and seriously hurt after a fight as with Cotto.

Size can be a deterrence, but it does not necessarily measure either power or overall effect accurately.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
        what immediately goes to mind when you hear the name?

He was a top fighter during the peak of my interest in watching boxing.
        Best middleweight since Hopkins.

Hit like a truck for a small guy at the weight and battered/beat up legit middleweights.

At his prime, one of the finest fighters I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
          He was a brilliant fighter, although not truly up to the hype that surrounded him (Cotto proved that).
          It's a shame that people just remember Sergio as struggling against lower level competition (I felt Murray arguably won) and then getting bashed up by Cotto. At the end he didn't even have as prominent cheekbones.

People seem to forget that he beat all the champs in the MW division at the time, smacking Paul Williams so hard he thought he was coming off a motorbike and then proving against Moby that the only thing he could hit was the bottle.

Not only that, but in his day he was a top five P4P dish.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
            It's a shame that people just remember Sergio as struggling against lower level competition (I felt Murray arguably won) and then getting bashed up by Cotto. At the end he didn't even have as prominent cheekbones.

People seem to forget that he beat all the champs in the MW division at the time, smacking Paul Williams so hard he thought he was coming off a motorbike and then proving against Moby that the only thing he could hit was the bottle.

Not only that, but in his day he was a top five P4P dish.
            He beat all the champs? Who, besides a then-alcoholic Pavlik? I still think Sergio would've lost that fight if Pavlik hadn't gotten cut badly.

Paul Williams was no middle-weight, and Sergio went 1-1 with him (although obviously getting the highlight KO in his win).

Sergio's legacy is as a JMW who got Pavlik at the right time, and held a MW belt for a while before GGG's arrival. He has some decent wins, although most have asterisks on them.
            * Pavlik - was an alcoholic by then and a shell of himself, still a close fight
            * JCC Jr - almost KO'd Sergio in last round, Martinez was on skates, and JCC Jr was nothing special
            * Dzinziruk - not a MW
            * Paul Williams - not a MW, beat Sergio in the (very close) first fight
            * Martin Murray - many thought Murray won the fight

Besides that, he's left with wins over Barker and Macklin.

Comment

Originally posted by buge View Post
              He beat all the champs? Who, besides a then-alcoholic Pavlik? I still think Sergio would've lost that fight if Pavlik hadn't gotten cut badly.

Paul Williams was no middle-weight, and Sergio went 1-1 with him (although obviously getting the highlight KO in his win).

Sergio's legacy is as a JMW who got Pavlik at the right time, and held a MW belt for a while before GGG's arrival. He has some decent wins, although most have asterisks on them.
              * Pavlik - was an alcoholic by then and a shell of himself, still a close fight
              * JCC Jr - almost KO'd Sergio in last round, Martinez was on skates, and JCC Jr was nothing special
              * Dzinziruk - not a MW
              * Paul Williams - not a MW, beat Sergio in the (very close) first fight
              * Martin Murray - many thought Murray won the fight

Besides that, he's left with wins over Barker and Macklin.

I already mentioned that Murray was unlucky not to get the win (in the very post you're replying to) so that doesn't even need to be said.

JCC Jr was about twice his size and was completely outclassed from rounds 1-11.

Paul Williams and Moby were, whether we like it or not, the MWs at the time.

I notice you make no reference to how handsome Sergio was at the time... too much of a faggot, I guess.

Comment

Working...
              X