Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Cottos prime begin and end?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think he ever fully recovered after the first Margarito fight, but it was during the Pacquaio fight that I thought he was passed his best.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
      I think some fighters are never the same after their first loss, and I believe Cotto to be one of these fighters.

With that said he was still a great fighter even after Margarito I, but he just lost a little bit of an edge to me, a little bit of that firing punches and not worried about what was coming back attitude was gone. When offensive minded fighters lose that, they miss opportunities, windows where they should let their hands go. There is a difference between defensive responsibility and being hesitant, Cotto became hesitant and lost assertiveness.

He did come back to be 90% of the fighter he was, but that last 10% is so important.

His prime probably started with Quintana, and the tip of his peak was Mosley, and Gomez, but unfortunately the Margarito fight brought it all to a screeching halt. I think the Mayweather fight was probably the end of his prime at 32.

Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
        I dont think he ever fully recovered after the first Margarito fight, but it was during the Pacquaio fight that I thought he was passed his best.
        Yes - people also forget that between the Pac and Margarito (I) fights, he fought Clottey.

That is a fight that some people believe he genuinely lost (me included - but it was very, very close, to where either man could have gotten the W depending on what you value when judging fights). I had it 114-113 Clottey, 7 rounds to 5 (Cotto knocked Clottey down with a jab that knocked him off balance in first round).

Win or lose, though, he took A LOT of clean punches, and punishment against Clottey. His eyebrow was damn near hanging off by the final bell - the ref/doctor could have stopped that fight mid-way and nobody would have argued. But props to Cotto - he soldiered on, and even came on strong in the final rounds.

Pretty sure he fought primed Margarito, Clottey, and then Pacquiao all within a 12-18 month period as well.

Comment

not sure when he began but he was on the decline after the pac fight.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
            post and discuss!!!
            trust me he was several years and two ko's past it when floyd fought him...par for floyd's course

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
              trust me he was several years and two ko's past it when floyd fought him...par for floyd's course
              Lol yes - let's be real - the TS doesn't care about actually analyzing and breaking down Cotto's career: He wants others to puppet his belief that Floyd fought the best possible version of Cotto LULZ.

Comment

before his first tattoo..

Comment

Cotto looked shot vs. Clottey honestly. The night he lost to Margarito ended his true prime.

Comment

Originally posted by ESAU View Post
                    Lol yes - let's be real - the TS doesn't care about actually analyzing and breaking down Cotto's career: He wants others to puppet his belief that Floyd fought the best possible version of Cotto LULZ.
                    all you had to do is see who the ts is and you automatically know any thread by him is tied into saving floyd in some kind of way...

Comment

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
                      Cotto looked shot vs. Clottey honestly. The night he lost to Margarito ended his true prime.
                      something with margarito... cotto's prime was taken from him in the marg fight. pac's prime was taken from him from the marg fight. no wonder floyd retired when the marg was out looking for him.

Comment

Working...
                      X