Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deciding factor of the fight. Only serious opinions please.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
    To say he can't afford to fight in spurts can only mean that your under the assumption that Canelo doesn't have enough fire power or isn't accurate enough, Canelo can definitely afford to take breaks, his countering punching ability and power allows him that. Canelo can also work his way in to find some breathing room.

The deciding factor for me and why I favor Canelo is that Golovkin hasn't faced anyone who can operate on the inside or anyone who's as good a body puncher, it's easy to keep trucking forward when no one is touching your body.

I think we need to erase this thought that Golovkin is gonna keep moving forward, you can do that against the Macklin, Stevens or Murrays of the world, not Canelo.
    Very interesting points.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
      You could say that Canelo is better than those fighters and you're probably right, but i'd also say that those fighters had some sides to their game that Canelo doesn't. So you're right, does Canelo have it in his locker to target those weaknesses? personally i'm not so sure.

It's a really intriguing fight really. Both have shown weaknesses in the past against fighters that are very different to the opponent they're facing on saturday. So in that sense, it's almost impossible to analyse this fight based on previous performances. You can't even take much from their current form except GGG hasn't looked as spectacular in his last 2. Canelo has looked good coming in but then it was against Chavez Jr who is terrible, Smith who is domestic level and Khan who couldn't even take a shot at lightweight.

It really is an interesting one. As much as we know these fighters, there's still a lot of unknowns when they're put head to head and style for style.
      I'm never one to claim that one fighter's key is the same as another's because boxing just doesn't work that way. But, at face value, Brook showed that you can out-box Golovkin and stifle him if you beat him to the jab (Brook just didn't have the power to make it work for more than a couple rounds). Jacobs proved what I always said about Golovkin's trouble keeping up with lateral movement (as did Brook for that matter).

I don't think Canelo needs to mold himself to either of those methods to win as his game is already strong. Again, for me it comes down to whether Canelo can successfully counter off of GG's jab, or if it will continually land in Canelo's face and throw his whole game off.

Comment

I keep going back to one thing that gnaws at me...the way Golovkin reacts to body shots. He...reacts. Visibly. Watch the Jacobs fight again from rounds four going. Or the Monroe fight. It's just something that tells me that there is work to be done there and he doesn't want you to do it. Can he take a punch upstairs? He damn sure can. Will he handle Canelo's left to the liver? Not for long.

The flip side is finding a way to get in and out to the body, which is no easy task. GGG is going to be throwing missiles on Saturday night. And although it can be countered, his jab is strong and consistent enough to cause serious problems.

Both fighters have strengths and weaknesses. Ultimately, it'll come down to experience and gameplan. For now, I'm picking Canelo by close decision if he can survive the early onslaught.

Comment

If adjustments need to be made during this fight, Canelo will be the one to make them. That doesn't necessarily mean success, but I don't see GGG as a versatile fighter who makes adjustments. He has always been rather two-dimensional, but his power coupled with just enough overall skill has given him the edge against opponents with their own set of limitations. That said, I still feel this is a 50/50 fight.

Comment

From my honest point of view and opinion:

This truly is a tough fight to say exactly what is going to happen.

Many different things and outcomes can happen.

I believe either guy can win and has a good shot. It's those intangibles and questions that are going to be answered that we don't really know about going into the fight.

I can see scenarios where Canelo cuts Triple G's face up and the fight getting stopped on cuts with Canelo up on the cards.

I can see Canelo focusing on Triple G's body to try to wear him down that way. The problem is Triple G is going to be throwing fire too. So while I think Canelo will get some shots to the body in, I don't think it will be enough to completely wear down Triple G because Canelo is not going to constantly stay there in front of him to take those shots from Triple G. And Triple G will be hitting Canelo to the body as well.

The only way I see a Canelo win by knockout is if it's due to cuts on Triple G's face or something of that nature. A win for Canelo is more likely by decision.

I can see Triple G eventually wearing Canelo out and getting a TKO win in the late rounds.

For Triple G to win by decision it is going to have to be quite clear and obvious that he won. By having a knockdown or knockdowns, staggering Canelo "OR" dominate at least 9 rounds or more.

The deck is stacked against Triple G when it comes to winning by a decision as we've seen in the past with Canelo scorecards against Trout, Mayweather, Lara and Cotto. Not saying the right guy didn't win, just saying scorecards were ridiculous for those fights.

Which may lead to another scenario where a lot of people may say that Triple G won but was robbed on the scorecards creating controversy and setting up a rematch.

Or we may get where Canelo in the views of many did win and deserved the decision.

Hopefully we can also get where Triple G seems like the winner after 12 by many and gets the decision if indeed he earned it and won in the eyes of many. This kind of thing seldom happens though.

It's because of these many scenarios, intangibles and questions that it is hard for me to predict an outcome on this fight.

How will Canelo fare against his first real Middleweight and that being the best Middleweight? How will Triple G deal with Canelo's hand speed and how much more power will Canelo have at Middleweight? Does Triple G have a chance to win a decision at all? Can Triple G deal with Canelo's skillset? Can Canelo last 12 rounds against Triple G and if he does, which is definitely a possibility in my opinion will the judges be fair, does Triple G have any chance at all winning a close decision if it looks like he was the clear winner in a close fight, they may even score a draw if it looks like Triple G won a lot of rounds. Hopefully it will not be a controversial ending and the right man wins and in the eyes of the fans, people, judges it is the rightful winner whether that be by decision or knockout.

My prediction is I have no prediction. This is a tough fight to call to say exactly what is going to happen.

Let's just hope for the best and may the best man win!

Comment

Originally posted by stealthradon View Post
              Has Canelo ever met anyone as good a body puncher as GGG?
              Not at all but the reason I bring up Golovkin having not faced it is because this perception that he's a monster still lingers with people on here. Golovkin is gonna fight someone who's gonna hit him back and often, different ball game now.

Comment

all this fights in spurts thing is BS lol you want him to let his hands go nonstop for 3 minutes.

Go bet on GGG and stop making threads.

Comment

They both used to be sparring partners. Its going to be interesting. If Canelo can take GGG power he will win. Could you imagine this fight being like Trinidad vs Hopkins, Pavlik vs Hopkins. When the bigger puncher couldnt land ****.

Comment

Originally posted by BIPBAP View Post
                    I am betting on this fight and have been looking at all the advantages canelo has, like counterpunching ability, head and waist movement, combinations. I'm trying to make a case in the lines of many ppl in boxing's beleif that canelo will outbox him and maybe stop him. I have even looked at GGG's inability to fight on the inside and that canelo might eat him up there. There is only one thing that doesn't add up when contemplating a posible canelo victory and I can't get around it. That's the fact that he always (in each and every one of his fights) fights in spurts. You never see him active for the full 3 minutes of a round. And you simply can't afford to do that against GGG. He WILL make you pay and possibly stop you if you start taking off parts of a round and just stay standing there, because if there's a thing we do know is golovkin knows how to get to you and put his shots well to harm you and there is no way you are just going to take his power and move on at this weight class. What y'all think? Do you have a way around this factor?
                    Golovkin and his wife just had a baby girl. How focused was he during camp? Was he stressed being away from his family? Did he have to take time off from camp to be with his family? Gotta take outside the ring distractions into account when betting.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                      To say he can't afford to fight in spurts can only mean that your under the assumption that Canelo doesn't have enough fire power or isn't accurate enough, Canelo can definitely afford to take breaks, his countering punching ability and power allows him that. Canelo can also work his way in to find some breathing room.

The deciding factor for me and why I favor Canelo is that Golovkin hasn't faced anyone who can operate on the inside or anyone who's as good a body puncher, it's easy to keep trucking forward when no one is touching your body.

I think we need to erase this thought that Golovkin is gonna keep moving forward, you can do that against the Macklin, Stevens or Murrays of the world, not Canelo.
                      Very fair and well thought out point. However, the deciding factor to make your statement true is if Canelo can take GGG's power. In order for Canelo to be able to take breaks every now and then-- as well as work the body-- is he has to be able to handle GGG's punching power.

I can't wait for this fight, it's going to be great!

Comment

Working...
                      X