No announcement yet.

Added muscle affecting stamina?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added muscle affecting stamina?

I've heard about this before but i've only added a bit of muscle but i'm definietely noticing my stamina being much less than it used to be before i added the muscle....

Will it be the slight amount of muscle that i've added which is affecting my stamina or could it be something else? I mean i haven't gone from skinny to huge or anything so would it even affect my stamina that much?

Yeah it does. More muscle mass requires more oxygen use.

Not to mention your asking your body to carry around more weight. Which is forcing It to work harder.

Really no way around it. That's why so many trainers are against lifting weights for boxers.

Comment

Muscle is hindering when the cardiovascular system isn't on the same level. Do more cardio.

Comment

Anyone can cut or add water weight but adding muscle to any athlete really is a science. There will come a point where to much (upper body) muscle will affect your performance as a boxer. Muscle is really hard to gauge, sure it may look good to the eye but how your body handles it and carries it is totally different and as you get older your body also carries and reacts to it differently which is why "most" boxers shy away from weights unless they have a really good S&C coach who measures muscle growth. These S&C coaches have things down to a science, they measure bone density, body frame, width/weight of muscles, and body fat using more than just a tailors measuring tape.

With that said, personally I know I dont have the $ to afford all that stuff or the know how. Emanuel Steward (my favorite trainer) used to say lanky muscle is the best muscle for boxing. He was an old school trainer (mostly) training guys that I am sure couldnt afford expensive S&C coaches either so again my assumption would be to stay away from weights. You can never go wrong with calisthenics, because you will always have to carry your own weight and in boxing you (shouldnt at least) have to carry anyones more than your own. Legs are a different story though brother, my response was just for upper body weights. When it comes to legs, lift away lol

Comment

depends on how you add it but generally yes.

Comment

Working...
          X