No announcement yet.

Question about boxing gloves vs MMM gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about boxing gloves vs MMM gloves

Dana White used to say that the reason boxers died frequently and had more concussions than MMA fighters, is because the boxing gloves are so heavy and combined with your punching power, it was more deadly than MMA gloves.

But lately allot of people have been saying that the only reason Connor is hitting so hard in MMA, is because the gloves are smaller and doesnt have as much padding.

As far as what Dana said about concussions and boxing gloves, I see his point.

But Im conflicted because I also feel that if you hit someone with bareknuckle or little to know padding, that it would hurt more because its raw knuckles crashing onto the target.

Can someone break this down!?

More speed with the little gloves = more power

I think the power aspect is overblown. The bigger gloves soften the impact a bit but you still feel the hard ass hand wrap underneath,

Also pretty much all 4oz of mma gloves are concentrated on the knuckles. Boxing gloves shift the padding around between the hand, the wrist and the knuckles. They aren't that dissimilar. You can just pinpoint the chin better and generate more speed with the smaller gloves.

Comment

they did an episode of sport science on this there is no differece this is a dead issue
      MMA fans like to use

Comment

I believe more padding is more dangerous for fighters because hitting people in the head at ~400lbs per sq inch vs ~350lbs per sq inch (pulling both those numbers outta my ass) are both dangerous amounts of power for the brain to be struck with so being stuck with it more makes severe injuries happen more. And I also believe recovery time to be a player in more severe damage happening in boxing than in MMA. In boxing when a guy goes down he gets a chance to recovery & continue fighting with potentially a injury from that point on. In MMA when a guy goes down the guy is probably finished within seconds 90%+ of the time which is actually reducing him from recovering only to be injured later on in the fight.

I also believe the size of the glove is a valid topic as well. as a smaller glove is gonna delivery more direct power to turn your lights off easier than a bigger glove that doesn't delivery as much direct power to the temple or chin that flicks the off switch.
        Last edited by Eff Pandas; 07-22-2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I think where most folks are missing the boat on the MMA vs Boxing glove issue has to do with what the fighter is used to.

If you are used to delivering a certain amount of force with a 4 oz glove, you are probably going to punch less forcefully with a larger one.

You will throw slower and your ability to keep your hands up may decline somewhat over rounds.

Floyd is used to delivering powerful shots over a long period of time with THESE gloves; Conor is not.

And that may play a huge key.

Comment

I pointed out before that McGregor much looks more fluid with MMA gloves than with boxing gloves. It should make a difference but I suppose the training and all this improving he's doing will help.

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
              Dana White used to say that the reason boxers died frequently and had more concussions than MMA fighters, is because the boxing gloves are so heavy and combined with your punching power, it was more deadly than MMA gloves.

But lately allot of people have been saying that the only reason Connor is hitting so hard in MMA, is because the gloves are smaller and doesnt have as much padding.

As far as what Dana said about concussions and boxing gloves, I see his point.

But Im conflicted because I also feel that if you hit someone with bareknuckle or little to know padding, that it would hurt more because its raw knuckles crashing onto the target.

Can someone break this down!?
              Boxers get concussions and take more damage far more due to things like the standing 8-count (and referees generally given boxers every chance possible to stay in the fight) than anything to do with the 4-ounce gloves.

With the differences in hand wraps corresponding to the gloves (MMA requiring far more hand/finger dexterity, while boxing is solely focused on maintaining the structure of the hand), I'm fairly certain that a 147lb boxer in boxing wraps and 8-ounce gloves would hit just as hard in 4-ounce MMA gloves and MMA wraps.

No idea if you have wraps, but here's a simple test:

Punch a wall; not so hard that you're looking to punch through concrete, but hard enough to show an effort.

Then, punch the same wall with winter gloves on; if done right, the punch with the winter gloves on will feel significantly better than the bareknuckle punch, so much so that you'd likely feel confident enough to throw the gloved shot harder than the bare shot (less concern for busting a hand).

Extend the metaphor up

Comment

sports sciences already proved theirs no real difference. MMA gloves needs theirs like that for the grappling and thats the only reason.

Comment

Boxing is 12 three minute rounds of being punched in the head repeatedly. I think MMA is safer because the rounds are shorter and the fighters are vastly inferior punchers. And like someone else mentioned the ref will instantly step in and call off a fight if someone gets knocked out or is being pummeled on the ground, compared to boxing where they tend to give fighters every possible chance to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                    I pointed out before that McGregor much looks more fluid with MMA gloves than with boxing gloves. It should make a difference but I suppose the training and all this improving he's doing will help.

Well, it's easier to land on someone with smaller gloves. It's one thing to land a counter on a guy with mid-low level amateur boxing type skill with small gloves...and another animal entirely on landing flush on a world class boxer consistantly with big gloves as it also helps defensively. The same angles don't work unless you're incredibly crafty or set it up since it's easier to block a large area with boxing gloves. Bad boxers dont see as much coming so it's easier to stop em..add smaller gloves and a guy with a good sense of distance and timing that's rare to find in mma (Conor. He's a good counter ouncher in his sport. Very good) will ko a lot of dudes. Monstrous puncher or not.

People are too concentrated on the neary non existent power diff but don't seem to think about the sheer versatility big gloves provide defensively. It's not as easy to be an accurate puncher in boxing.

Conor going to have to rely on sheer physicality and relish clinches and just try to ragdoll mayweather into the ropes and land questionably clean punches/ebows...ala mayweather/ward.
                    Last edited by NearHypnos; 07-22-2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X