Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Cubans were allowed to turn pro, would Puerto Rico still be a powerhouse?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hectari View Post
    But imagine at those times the top Cubans turned pro? would Trini, gomez, Benitez still be top level? What if they got snuffed out by the cubans? Remember we are talking thousands of Cubn boxers man, it won't just be 20, thousands, and the top cubans would be rising to the top so you know they will dominate.

Also Teofilio Stevenson, imagine if he turned pro? This man was scary his straight punches of power were so sharp they were like a sniper rifle.
    lol No, bro. We are talking about a few hundred Cuban boxers...maybe. Remember, the communist government is responsible for the amateur system. Look towards pre-Castro Cuba for an idea as to how many Cuban pros there might have been. In my opinion, the Puerto Rican boxers I mentioned were not likely to have been displaced by Cubans. We would've probably known a few great Cubans whose styles didn't allow them success as amateurs, but would've made them great pros. Cuba has a bigger population than Puerto Rico, so there would've been more Cuban champs -- as there are now. But absolute domination? No. A hero will always rise.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePunchingBag View Post
      The best Cuban fighters and the best Puerto Rican fighters would still be at the top of the sport.
      This is the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
        Lara isnt being "ducked" like the Plague. He's just an undesirable opponent. He's not this master boxer that his fans are making him out to be. If he were he would not have went life and death with the likes of Angulo.
        I have to agree. I think Lara is certainly among the top fighters in his division, but I don't think he's some kind of master boxer (like Rigo). I think Landy might beat Canelo, but I think he'll always have some trouble with the better guys at 154. There's no shame in that. Not everyone can dominate like Floyd.

Comment

Success in the amateurs doesn't equal success in the pros.

Comment

Cuban fighters need a core fan base man. I think the PR stars would still thrive because its one of the 3 best fan bases in the sport along with Mexico and UK.

Its going to take some real creative outside the box promoter and a fighter with charisma to break the barrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonf96 View Post
              Success in the amateurs doesn't equal success in the pros.
              But it damn sure increases their chances.

Comment

A powerhouse of runners perhaps but not financially. PR has produced warriors who are draws. Same with Mexico. They wouldn't get the same attention, demand and respect PR or Mexicans fighters get.

Cubans who have turned pro have had a hard time getting respect, air time and becoming PPV draws.

Comment

Yan Bartelemi (2004 Olympic Gold Medalist)
                  Olandier Solis (2004 Olympic Gold Medalist)
                  Yudel Johnson (2004 Olympic Silver Medalist)
                  Yordenis Ugas (2008 Olympic Bronze Medalist)

None of their amateur success translated to the pro ranks. It's pretty dumb to say guys that dominate in the amateurs would have the same success in the pros. Guys like Angelo Santana, Luis Franco, and Yordanis Despaigne haven't done too well either.

I don't think Cuba would be better than Puerto Rico. The cream would still rise to the top. There would probably just be a lot more Cuban busts, with the occasional Guillermo Rigondeaux, Yuriorkis Gamboa, or Yoan Pablo Hernandez rising to the top.

Comment

IF Cubans put out exciting fighters

Lara/Rigo are the only significant ones, and they are two of the most Boring figthers in boxing today, were talking about fans leaving the Arena and Booing during the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                      A powerhouse of runners perhaps but not financially. PR has produced warriors who are draws. Same with Mexico. They wouldn't get the same attention, demand and respect PR or Mexicans fighters get.

Cubans who have turned pro have had a hard time getting respect, air time and becoming PPV draws.
                      Whatever you might think about current Cuban pros, they are all the product of a system intended to win Olympic gold medals. That system has worked incredibly well. Before then, Cuba had pros that didn't know much, if any, amateur experience. You wouldn't call ATGs like Kid Chocolate, Kid Gavilan or "Mantequilla" Napoles "runners." Those guys would be kicking ass today. There's every reason to believe that, if the Cuban amateur system never existed, Cuban pros would fight differently but still succeed.

Comment

Working...
                      X