No announcement yet.

Help finding the range.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding the range.

So I've very recently got back into training/sparring. I've always found it quite difficult to find the range and land to the head. I have little to no issue landing to the body.. infact I seem to have great success and seem to shock most people with the speed of my Jab to the body. Even when they know it's coming they find it hard to deal with. I have an almost identical body type to Roberto Duran to give you a picture. About 5ft 7, 67inch reach and 140 pounds (could get down more). I just can't seem to land many more than one or two jabs to the head per round. And the ones I do land are usually jabbing off parrying their jab. Even with a double jab I have little success and find myself getting countered with a right hand or jab. It constantly seems like I am in range to be hit but not to hit them. I feel like I have to lunge at my opponent to get near their head. Is there something that I'm missing?

Edit: Forgot to mention that because I feel like I am "lunging" at my opponent, my power seems to diminish drastically even if I do connect. I'd imagine that's because my lead foot is dragging quite far behind so I can't get the leverage. But I can't seem to bring it in without taking too long if that makes sense. How do I lunge forward to get into range with both feet without jumping? If I take smaller steps it takes too long to get into range i think
    Last edited by JayID; 02-18-2018, 05:20 AM.

Originally posted by JayID View Post
    So I've very recently got back into training/sparring. I've always found it quite difficult to find the range and land to the head. I have little to no issue landing to the body.. infact I seem to have great success and seem to shock most people with the speed of my Jab to the body. Even when they know it's coming they find it hard to deal with. I have an almost identical body type to Roberto Duran to give you a picture. About 5ft 7, 67inch reach and 140 pounds (could get down more). I just can't seem to land many more than one or two jabs to the head per round. And the ones I do land are usually jabbing off parrying their jab. Even with a double jab I have little success and find myself getting countered with a right hand or jab. It constantly seems like I am in range to be hit but not to hit them. I feel like I have to lunge at my opponent to get near their head. Is there something that I'm missing?

Edit: Forgot to mention that because I feel like I am "lunging" at my opponent, my power seems to diminish drastically even if I do connect. I'd imagine that's because my lead foot is dragging quite far behind so I can't get the leverage. But I can't seem to bring it in without taking too long if that makes sense. How do I lunge forward to get into range with both feet without jumping? If I take smaller steps it takes too long to get into range i think
    It all depends on the length of your opponent. Do you have a trainer working with you?

Comment

Push off your rear foot instead of stepping with one and dragging the other. Small steps work best unless you start from too far away.

Comment

Originally posted by JayID View Post

I used to have a similar problem except I used to get outjabbed by shorter fighters. For me my problem was distance management, I'm gonna go on a limb here and say the same for you? A way to fix this is to focus on being at a range where they can't hit you and you can't hit them and then to move in quickly to land your punches. Never be at a distance where they can hit you and you can't hit them.

Keep in mind this is for if you're the shorter fighter. Head movement, parrying/countering are going to need to be strong skills of yours. For the short term I suggest focus on keeping the pressure on and make them fight on the back foot. Not every punch you throw is going to land either.

Comment

Your range is the end of your extended arms. That's where you want his head to be.

Footwork has to be used to get you into, and out of, range.

That's the basics of it. But you need to develop an intuitive understanding of distance so that your body just knows automatically. Without you having to think about it.

That takes a long time and a lot of practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
            I used to have a similar problem except I used to get outjabbed by shorter fighters. For me my problem was distance management, I'm gonna go on a limb here and say the same for you? A way to fix this is to focus on being at a range where they can't hit you and you can't hit them and then to move in quickly to land your punches. Never be at a distance where they can hit you and you can't hit them.

Keep in mind this is for if you're the shorter fighter. Head movement, parrying/countering are going to need to be strong skills of yours. For the short term I suggest focus on keeping the pressure on and make them fight on the back foot. Not every punch you throw is going to land either.
            He said he has 67 reach at 140, which I felt sounded short. That's not very long when I looked a few fighters up. Mikey Garcia is 68 and Broner is 69. Likely would do better a few pounds south.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              He said he has 67 reach at 140, which I felt sounded short. That's not very long when I looked a few fighters up. Mikey Garcia is 68 and Broner is 69. Likely would do better a few pounds south.
              In the amateur system things are a little different. Fighters tend to be on the skinny side. It's pretty common to see 141 lbrs who are 6' tall.

Comment

It's ofc harder to catch the head rather than the body bcz head has much more mobility.
                I'm also falling short at times. My solution is that I train my offensive punches taking a step forward. I see people are constantly punching n watching themselves in the mirror. What good it does? Nobody is waiting on the spot for you to punch them, they are moving. We must train realistically even if it's harder.
                So, I don't punch without a taking step, be it forward or backward.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
                  It's ofc harder to catch the head rather than the body bcz head has much more mobility.
                  I'm also falling short at times. My solution is that I train my offensive punches taking a step forward. I see people are constantly punching n watching themselves in the mirror. What good it does? Nobody is waiting on the spot for you to punch them, they are moving. We must train realistically even if it's harder.
                  So, I don't punch without a taking step, be it forward or backward.
                  I almost never fight at the distance. I just try to stay as close as possible and make it an inside fight.

Comment

Working...
                  X