No announcement yet.

Distance and Timing-an underrated trait

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
    All i hear most talk about is power and speed....both great traits but only a few boxers actually learn distance and timing..and once those are perfected that boxer is damn near unbeatable. Once you learn the space you need not to get hit but are in the perfect spot to land a spot aka you safe zone. and you perfect the timing needed to land your punch and avoid the counter,the opponents speed and power means nothing. Distance and timing separates the great fighters from the contenders
    Don't forget Catchweights, Vacations, and "*****-made" testing.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      and how does all of this relate to floyd mayweather? we all know it can't be a broner thread post-maidana.
      This is related to the other Pacquiao thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
        The first time I went to a gym the ol man there told me

"Keep your hands up, eye level, but keep them out not close to your face. This is your fence, you don't let anyone come into your front yard, if you see them coming.. get out the way and punch them in the ****in face."

Do all old white men use analogies like Teddy Atlas does? lol
        I remember learning the right hand.. "you smoke cigarettes? well if you do, turn that foot like you puttin out ya cigarette"
        lol, love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
          But said fighter (Floyd) hasn't proven his distance and timing against elite, prime, HOF caliber fighters, so the world will never know.
          Phoney Phloyd showed his lack of both of those skills in his first fight with Castillo, and also his Emanuel Augustus fight which until recently he regarded as his toughest.

I think Larry is right, about their importance, and we must remember that he just can't help idolising his thuggish hero. It's a sort of "sickness". I would also add to this discussion, "stance". Jack Johnson always said that the most important facet of the perfect fighter was to have the perfect stance. He gave his reasons for this, with examples and I believe that he was correct. He went 14 years between KO's and although he lost a couple of fights between 1901 and 1905, he didn't lose again until 1915, aged 37, unfit, in the 26th rd of a fight to a finish under a 104 degree sun (in which he couldn't win) which he'd have won easily if it had been 20 rds.

So he's the man who must have known what he was talking about, from a far tougher age.

Comment

All i hear most talk about is power and speed....both great traits but only a few boxers actually learn distance and timing..and once those are perfected that boxer is damn near unbeatable. Once you learn the space you need not to get hit but are in the perfect spot to land a spot aka you safe zone. and you perfect the timing needed to land your punch and avoid the counter,the opponents speed and power means nothing. Distance and timing separates the great fighters from the contenders
            That is what we call Ring generalship one of the top 2 Cuban amateurs boxers Teofilo Stevenson was the king at that he always knew where to be the best distance where to move to always be on the best position possible he was deadly going backwards or forwards because the timing for his punches especially that right hand was incredibly devastating even when he threw it at leisure as demonstrated here by 4:20.

Comment

When you have distance and timing it cuts workrate and negates power and equalizes speed. You see punches coming so even if a punch gets through you see it and can roll with it or brace yourself
              the issue is when a boxer obtain the distance by running....

and maintain the distance by timing....he he he

usain bolt.....where are you?

Comment

Working...
              X