Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the point of Calzaghe-Manfredo again?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mECHsLAVE View Post
    Is Sin an alias of Bozos?
    Is mECHsLAVE an alias of Richard Simmons?

Comment

Originally posted by Dimebar View Post
      Jones was willing to fight in Britain, but not in Germany.

Jones priced himself out time and again. Calzaghe has been calling him out since February 1995.
      Maybe you should realize that Roy (the champ) wasnt pricing himself out. In reality, Joe C (challenger) didnt want to take a risk to cross the pond and lose his 0 on his record if he wasnt getting a big chunk of the purse.

Comment

Originally posted by $iN View Post
        I thought this fight was a stepping stone for Calzaghe to set up his next fight in the US? That's why he wanted to beat a well known American fighter, right? So why is he still calling for everyone to come fight him in the UK?
        Exactly the point i been making for the last week on here, repeatedly.

lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Easy-E View Post
          Maybe you should realize that Roy (the champ) wasnt pricing himself out. In reality, Joe C (challenger) didnt want to take a risk to cross the pond and lose his 0 on his record if he wasnt getting a big chunk of the purse.
          Spot on again, and yes, Joe would have lost his '0' if he'd of fought Roy at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by azza View Post
            thing that gets me is,everybody says he should offer the big names out,why dont they offer him out? he has alot on the plate to offer hes just as good as any super middleweight in the world
            What a very good point.

We've heard various criticisms of Calzaghe, Warren and offers made for fights to be made. Have the likes of Taylor, Hopkins, hell even RJJ made offers the other way? Have they hell. Christ, even Kessler made a cursory return offer - even if it was ludicrous.

Come on yanks, make an offer for Calzaghe to travel across the water.

Comment

It was supposed to be a stepping stone...it didnt work.

Like I've said since the fight, the premature stoppage hurt Calzaghe way more than anyone else. People want ridiculous money to fight in the UK now, through fear of the same thing happened. Its a good excuse, cos they probably all know that Calzaghe is a superior boxer to them now anyway and this is a good way of getting out of it. This is backed up by the fact that none of these guys ever approach Calzaghe with an offer, they just either shout about him, reject his offers, or make an equally unrealistic counter-offer.

The option to fight in America is there and I've no doubt that Joe would be happy to go, but Warren is probably filling his head full of "You can make more money selling out a big stadium here, you'll only get cheated if you go over there anyway, we can get the big guys here, dont you worry about it" etc.

Truth is, Warren can probably make himself a great deal more money from having the fight here, so that is what he's pushing to see happen.

Comment

I think it's a real shame what's happened with Joe's career. He really could have been one of the greats, he's got it all. Incredible hand speed, great chin, good combination puncher, southpaw...and yet he's achieved relatively little. When he's done will he be remembered in the same breath as the Haglers, Monzons etc of this world? Of course he won't. Will he even be remembered in the same breath as the Hopkins and Wright's of this world? Unfortunately not. And that is down to his promoter. Frank Warren will not get the best fights for his fighters because he is all about the money.

Calzaghe could and should have been an ATG. It's a real tragedy that that won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wire View Post
                  I think it's a real shame what's happened with Joe's career. He really could have been one of the greats, he's got it all. Incredible hand speed, great chin, good combination puncher, southpaw...and yet he's achieved relatively little. When he's done will he be remembered in the same breath as the Haglers, Monzons etc of this world? Of course he won't. Will he even be remembered in the same breath as the Hopkins and Wright's of this world? Unfortunately not. And that is down to his promoter. Frank Warren will not get the best fights for his fighters because he is all about the money.

Calzaghe could and should have been an ATG. It's a real tragedy that that won't happen.
                  dont give up on him yet,hes still got a few fights left lets hope he can do some good things with them

Comment

He hasnt shown any signs of ageing yet. Lets not make sweeping statements that could be proven wrong.

He hasnt even confirmed his next fight yet.

Comment

Calzaghe's the champ so people should be coming to him not the other way round you stupid ****s!

Comment

Working...
                      X