No announcement yet.

Can Williams Still Be Great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Williams Still Be Great?

could you see him rolling Lara, meeting Martinez again & beating him, after that being called the most feared man in boxing again, and going on to have battles with guys like Taylor, Abraham, Pavlik, Kirkland, Canelo, Chavez, Cotto, Mayweather, & Pac while doing very well against them?

It wasnt long ago that some thought he was a beast and could either beat all of those guys or give them mad hell. Now its like he fell off the map and is even talking retirment. An impressive win against Lara & he starts to pickup steam again.

Its actually good because I think he can get more bigger fights now because with the Martinez defeat he has to be resigned to the fact of taking less money to get back to the top and alot of guys dont fear him as they once did so they would take that challenge now.

He's in the prime spot to make alot of big things happen but can he get back to the top? Thats if he was really the goods in the 1st place which some dont think he ever was that good. What are you guys thoughts? What do you see happening to him?

Assuming he suffered no ill effects from that KO:

There isnt a 154 Pounder alive that beats him other than Sergio. Even with Martinez I give Sergio a 60-40 edge. Williams took round 1 with ease but got caught the second round. He stays on his feet he is the only fighter at that weight who can handle Sergio.

Angulo, Cotto, Canelo, Margarito all get hammered up pretty badly. Especially Cotto and Canelo. I cant say Bobby making the Cotto fight. He didnt want it when Cotto was prime he really doesnt want it now.

Hes in a tough spot. If he dominates Lara NO ONE other than Sergio will have the balls to go after him. If he struggles and still win he can get Vanes, K9, or Dzinznriuk in the ring. If he loses he might as will retire while he still has good health.

I dont see him moving up to 168 anytime soon. Heck he just moved down a division. Hes barely outgrown WW. I cant see that move yet.

With all that said he should try to enforce his number 1 contender status for Alvarezs belt. Or try to fight Angulo which seems like a long shot given his status.

So its either Canelo, K9, Dzinziruk, or Vanes. Not a bad list at all. 3 of those fighters are Champions so I would guess a title shot is next.

Hbo might have their eye on Williams-Dzinziruk that was his Plan B if the Martinez rematch couldnt go down.

Every boxing organization had him Top 10 P4Pound for a reason. The ring had him at 7. A lot of other publications had him at 3-5. A dominating win puts him RIGHT back on the P4P list.

A lot of noob, troll posters treated Paul as if he lost to a bum. Then thy turn around and say Martinez should be P4P number 1 based on that win. He wins hes right back in the thick of things.
    Last edited by B.U.R.N.E.R; 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post

There isnt a 154 Pounder alive that beats him other than Sergio. Even with Martinez I give Sergio a 60-40 edge. Williams took round 1 with ease but got caught the second round. He stays on his feet he is the only fighter at that weight who can handle Sergio.

Angulo, Cotto, Canelo, Margarito all get hammered up pretty badly. Especially Cotto and Canelo. I cant say Bobby making the Cotto fight. He didnt want it when Cotto was prime he really doesnt want it now.

Hes in a tough spot. If he dominates Lara NO ONE other than Sergio will have the balls to go after him. If he struggles and still win he can get Vanes, K9, or Dzinznriuk in the ring. If he loses he might as will retire while he still has good health.

I dont see him moving up to 168 anytime soon. Heck he just moved down a
      division. Hes barely outgrown WW. I cant see that move yet.

With all that said he should try to enforce his number 1 contender status for Alvarezs belt. Or try to fight Angulo which seems like a long shot given his status.

So its either Canelo, K9, Dzinziruk, or Vanes. Not a bad list at all. 3 of those fighters are Champions so I would guess a title shot is next.

Hbo might have their eye on Williams-Dzinziruk that was his Plan B if the Martinez rematch couldnt go down.
      I think angulo sparks williams but thats just me. Williams will falll right in angulos streanght. Williams will not try to box angulo he doesnt know how to. He will trade with angulo a one ko puncher and eventually get caught. Angulo can take a shot he took some from cintron a bigger puncher than williams.

Comment

I dont see HBO putting Dzinziruk back on after the way Sergio just destroyed him. Angulo sound like a very interesting fight though. Nice little war

Comment

Exciting fighter? Yeah. Great fighter? No chance

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerpimp View Post
            I think angulo sparks williams but thats just me. Williams will falll right in angulos streanght. Williams will not try to box angulo he doesnt know how to. He will trade with angulo a one ko puncher and eventually get caught. Angulo can take a shot he took some from cintron a bigger puncher than williams.
            You saw Williams vs. Margarito?

That was a prime Margarito who is much better than todays Angulo to be honest. Paul woudlve done him the same way.

Comment

You saw Williams vs. Margarito?

That was a prime Margarito who is much better than todays Angulo to be honest. Paul woudlve done him the same way.
              Yea i saw that but margarito is not a ko puncher. He gets you out of there with his non stop pressure and wears you down. Williams outhussled him by throwing more punches. Angulo on the other hand is one punch ko puncher. Williams chin has been cracked and if angulo lands it will be lights out. Angulo will have plenty of chanches to land on paul bc he has no defence.

Comment

One thing he needs to do is either get a better trainer who can teach him how to stay outside, box, & use his reach or he needs to just make sure he goes back to his old style of throwing a thousand punches/brawling because he looked so confused in that Cintron fight.

You could tell he was trying to pull himself back from his natural style of letting his hands go & pick his spots but he was awful at it. Then it seemed like he argued with his trainer about it some, and started to own Cintron when he switched back to his natural style

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                  could you see him rolling Lara, meeting Martinez again & beating him, after that being called the most feared man in boxing again, and going on to have battles with guys like Taylor, Abraham, Pavlik, Kirkland, Canelo, Chavez, Cotto, Mayweather, & Pac while doing very well against them?

It wasnt long ago that some thought he was a beast and could either beat all of those guys or give them mad hell. Now its like he fell off the map and is even talking retirment. An impressive win against Lara & he starts to pickup steam again.

Its actually good because I think he can get more bigger fights now because with the Martinez defeat he has to be resigned to the fact of taking less money to get back to the top and alot of guys dont fear him as they once did so they would take that challenge now.

He's in the prime spot to make alot of big things happen but can he get back to the top? Thats if he was really the goods in the 1st place which some dont think he ever was that good. What are you guys thoughts? What do you see happening to him?
                  TKO's Lara and goes for a 3rd fight with Sergio. Sergio isnt fighting anyone so I could see it happeneing again.

Comment

There isnt a 154 Pounder alive that beats him other than Sergio. Even with Martinez I give Sergio a 60-40 edge. Williams took round 1 with ease but got caught the second round.
                    he got hit with a bunch of big shots in that round. i don't even really see how he could have won it. he looked busy but nothing was effective and his punches weren't clean at all. he landed some cuffing punches but martinez landed numerous hard punches on williams. martinez even seemed to hurt williams and backed him into the ropes and unloaded. i'm sure lederman(dementia?) gave williams the round but that was a pretty easy round to score for me.
                    Last edited by daggum; 07-08-2011, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X