No announcement yet.

Boxing does huge ratings in Ireland - one of most watched ever

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing does huge ratings in Ireland - one of most watched ever

The most watched show in the last 17 years was the Late Late Toy Show with 1.5 million viewers so you can see how this matches up. I know this forum is full of knuckle draggers but there are only 4.5 million people in Ireland so do the math. RTE's boxing post and pre fight boxing coverage also attracted large audiences.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/box...y-1-1-million/

A phenomenal 1.1 million viewers watched Ireland’s Katie Taylor win Olympic Gold on RTÉ Television yesterday.
    The nation came to a standstill with an average of 1.1million viewers watching RTÉ Two throughout the full 18 minutes it took Taylor from stepping into the ring to defeat her Russian opponent Sofya Ochigaya in a 10-8 victory.
    TV viewing figures stated relate only to at home viewing and do not include audiences who may have watched RTÉ’s coverage at public venues, workplaces, pubs or online.
    Nearly three quarters of a million people watched RTÉ Sport’s full fight coverage including build up, post bout analysis and medal presentation as presenter Darragh Maloney was joined in studio by RTÉ boxing panel Kenneth Egan, Mick Dowling and Bernard Dunne for the across the whole programme.
    The historic fight was also carried live on RTÉ Radio 1’s Drivetime and on RTÉ 2fm, with commentary by Marty Morrissey on both stations.
    Meanwhile, 2fm broadcast live from Bray Town throughout the day, with audiences tuning in on FM, digital radio and the RTÉ Radio Player.
    RTÉ Sport’s comprehensive broadcasting of the Olympic Games continues with television, radio and online coverage of tomorrow’s finals including the men’s boxing final as Ireland’s Joe Joe Nevin fights for gold, the men’s 50km walk featuring Robert Heffernan and Colin Griffith followed by the women’s 20km walk with Irish competitors Olive Loughnane and Laura Reynolds on RTÉ Two HD, RTÉ Radio and RTÉ.ie.
    Last edited by croz; 08-11-2012, 07:31 PM.

Around a quarter of the population is really good numbers. Also it said that number didn't include people at pubs n out door venues, which would b a lot higher, I saw a click of people from her city n there must of been 50,000+

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
      Around a quarter of the population is really good numbers. Also it said that number didn't include people at pubs n out door venues, which would b a lot higher, I saw a click of people from her city n there must of been 50,000+
      Pubs were jam packed in Dublin. Also it was on at three o clock in the day if I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
        Pubs were jam packed in Dublin. Also it was on at three o clock in the day if I recall.
        When aren't they

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
          When aren't they
          Pubs have been fairly empty since people are poor and losing their jobs.

Comment

The most watched show in the last 17 years was the Late Late Toy Show with 1.5 million viewers so you can see how this matches up. I know this forum is full of knuckle draggers but there are only 4.5 million people in Ireland so do the math. RTE's boxing post and pre fight boxing coverage also attracted large audiences.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/box...y-1-1-million/

A phenomenal 1.1 million viewers watched Ireland’s Katie Taylor win Olympic Gold on RTÉ Television yesterday.
            The nation came to a standstill with an average of 1.1million viewers watching RTÉ Two throughout the full 18 minutes it took Taylor from stepping into the ring to defeat her Russian opponent Sofya Ochigaya in a 10-8 victory.
            TV viewing figures stated relate only to at home viewing and do not include audiences who may have watched RTÉ’s coverage at public venues, workplaces, pubs or online.
            Nearly three quarters of a million people watched RTÉ Sport’s full fight coverage including build up, post bout analysis and medal presentation as presenter Darragh Maloney was joined in studio by RTÉ boxing panel Kenneth Egan, Mick Dowling and Bernard Dunne for the across the whole programme.
            The historic fight was also carried live on RTÉ Radio 1’s Drivetime and on RTÉ 2fm, with commentary by Marty Morrissey on both stations.
            Meanwhile, 2fm broadcast live from Bray Town throughout the day, with audiences tuning in on FM, digital radio and the RTÉ Radio Player.
            RTÉ Sport’s comprehensive broadcasting of the Olympic Games continues with television, radio and online coverage of tomorrow’s finals including the men’s boxing final as Ireland’s Joe Joe Nevin fights for gold, the men’s 50km walk featuring Robert Heffernan and Colin Griffith followed by the women’s 20km walk with Irish competitors Olive Loughnane and Laura Reynolds on RTÉ Two HD, RTÉ Radio and RTÉ.ie.
            lol at the bold.

Those numbers are fantastic. Ireland loves its boxing and its emissaries. It's awesome when one person or event captures the fancy of the masses, rallying them to a common interest. Congratulations to Katie and the Emerald Isle!

Comment

One thing that will never surprise me as having parents who immigrated from Ireland to America and having lived there for most summers of my life is high alcohol sales and big box office/tv ratings for Boxing. I just watched the Katie Taylor fight and she has some good skills glad to see her win the gold.

Comment

While I'm very happy lets keep in mind it was the olympics. I watch olympic swimming, but that doesn't mean I give two *****s about swimming the other 3 years and 11 months. The olympics takes precedent over the sport. But congrats, always love seeing more people watch the sweet science.

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
                  While I'm very happy lets keep in mind it was the olympics. I watch olympic swimming, but that doesn't mean I give two *****s about swimming the other 3 years and 11 months. The olympics takes precedent over the sport. But congrats, always love seeing more people watch the sweet science.
                  It's a bit different. This was the crowd in her hometown alone. When Ireland "won" gold in show jumping for the last Olympics (horses oriented sports are quite big here) the crowds didn't show up like this.

It's more to do with the fact that Katie was a dominant champ but didn't get the recognition she deserved in her own country. The Olympics shed a light on her so people are much more aware of her now.

Last edited by croz; 08-11-2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

It's a bit different. This was the crowd in her hometown alone. When Ireland "won" gold in show jumping for the last Olympics (horses oriented sports are quite big here) the crowds didn't show up like this.

It's more to do with the fact that Katie was a dominant champ but didn't get the recognition she deserved in her own country. The Olympics shed a light on her so people are much more aware of her now.

Well thank you for correcting me. I know next to nothing about Ireland and was just trying to give my perspective that high viewership for the olympics is more about national pride than liking a sport IMO, but that my friend is just amazing. Hope it translates to a bigger boxing market in Ireland. Green K to you my buddy.

Comment

Working...
                    X