Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asian Storm
    These two great featherweights passed away before their
    time. If they were alive today and at the prime of their careers,
    who do you think will rampage over the other ?

?????

Willie Pep is STILL alive, Asian Storm.

He was in a plane crash that, during his prime, that left him quite injured....& took years off of his prime.

Who wins between the two ?
    Check your history boys....Salvador Sanchez never looked great against another boxer. He shined (brilliantly) against brawlers.
    In Pep, he'd be facing the master. Pep, outboxed brawlers & other boxers with ease.
    "Styles make fights"....& when it comes to style, Pep was king.

Pep W15 sanchez.

Comment

To me, a much better matchup is Sanchez vs Saddler... Now THAT, is a fight for all time!

Comment

Pep wins this one. Sanchez was very patient....a little too patient when the guy in front of you is like Willie Pep. You can forget about Sanchez hurting Pep enough with the few punches he DOES land. Pep boxes rings around him and wins a decision. Pep W15

Comment

Jabs

Willie Pep is suffering from severe Alzheimer's. He may as well be dead.

Comment

Talking about Flash Elorde.... it took a long time coming but I
            believe his heir has finally come (though in a different division)......
            Hi pal! Da Flash begun his career in 1951 and wound it up in a bout against Hiroyuki Murukami in Tokyo in 1971 after having strung up a record of 87-27-2 (33KO's), a kind of KO stat that's not as impressive as Manny Pacquiao's and another Filipino champ (Middleweight) Ceferino Garcia (100-26-9 with 65KO's), who introduced to the world of boxing the Bolo Punch (now illegal).

Actually, Elorde fought in several weight divisions; on some occassions he shifted to and fro between Lightweight and Jr. Light even as he held the latter division's world crown:

In 1952, he wrested the Philippine Bantamweight crown from Tanny Campo and three months later took the Orient crown of that division in a fight in Japan against a Japanese fighter.

In 1953, he lost on points to fellow Filipino Larry Bataan in his first bid for a featherweight title (OPBF); and, in the following year, he lost in his second try at that division when Shigeji Kanuko beat him in Tokyo on points.

Taking his featherweight campaign a step farther, he jumped into the world scene and faced the great Sandy Saddler at the Cow Palace in San Franciscio, CA, but was TKOD in the thirteenth round (Ref stopped the bout owing to cuts suffered by Elorde). Some six months earlier, in a bout held in Manila, Elorde had won over Saddler on points.

Actually, Elorde's legend did not begin to flower until after he had met Harold Gomes during the inauguration of the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City. He stopped Gomes cold in the 7th round to wrest the World Jr. Lightweight crown. They met again a few months later in San Francisco; Elorde made that evening shorter by KO'ing Gomes in the very first round.

Between defending his Jr. Lightweight crown against the likes of Sergio Caprarri, Love Allotey, Auburn Copeland and Johnny Bizzaro, Elorde frequently took time out to fight as a lightweight and the most storied meetings he had were those three against Tirou Kosaka of Japan and one against the legendary Ismael Laguna.

After losing to Carlos Ortiz in a fight in Manila, Elorde, met Kosaka an additional two times. Then, he met Ortiz again in 1966 at the Madison Square Garden in NY, where Ortiz felled him in the 14th.

Elorde lost his Jr. Lightweight title to Numata by MD15 in Tokyo in June 1967.

He fougth about a dozen more times, but his performance near the tail end of his career was at best spotty. Most of the losses one sees on his record came both at the start (when he was a struggling bootblack by day in the island province of Cebu in the Philippines) and near the end of his boxing days.

Da Flash passed on in Jan 2, 1985 at the age of 49, a victim of the big C.

Comment

gray fist thanks for the trivia abour the Great Flash Elorde....

my take on Pep vs Sanchez, the only thing I know about Pep is he is either the No.1 or No. 2 All Time Feather and I never saw him fight, but for Sanchez as a kid I saw him fight a few times and made me think during that time he was invincible & unbeatable, we will never know his full potential...

for me not knowing the other man I will absolutely go for sanchez who as a kid I thought was invincible & unbeatable.....
              Last edited by JOM'S; 10-21-2004, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jomapac
                gray fist thanks for the trivia abour the Great Flash Elorde....

my take on Pep vs Sanchez, the only thing I know about Pep is he is either the No.1 or No. 2 All Time Feather and I never saw him fight, but for Sanchez as a kid I saw him fight a few times and made me think during that time he was invincible & unbeatable, we will never know his full potential...

for me not knowing the other man I will absolutely go for sanchez who as a kid a thought was invincible & unbeatable.....
                Anytime, pal! Actually, there, I believe, lies the beauty of boxing. It often defies consensus. Each fan has his own veiw of fighters. With Sanchez, it even gets worse: he died too young! Have we seen the best he had? Could he have been even better? Questions, questions!

Yes, you're right. Most experts believe, Pep was the best featherweight ever. But there are those who think that Saddler gave Pep a very tough time indeed!

As to whether Pep can handle Sanchez. Well, Chava's last fight (vs. Azumah Nelson) indicated he had problems with highly skilled ones. And, though Nelson belongs at Canastota, no one is saying he was Pep's second coming. Good talking to you again, buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by grayfist
                  Hi pal! Da Flash begun his career in 1951 and wound it up in a bout against Hiroyuki Murukami in Tokyo in 1971 after having strung up a record of 87-27-2 (33KO's), a kind of KO stat that's not as impressive as Manny Pacquiao's and another Filipino champ (Middleweight) Ceferino Garcia (100-26-9 with 65KO's), who introduced to the world of boxing the Bolo Punch (now illegal).

Actually, Elorde fought in several weight divisions; on some occassions he shifted to and fro between Lightweight and Jr. Light even as he held the latter division's world crown:

In 1952, he wrested the Philippine Bantamweight crown from Tanny Campo and three months later took the Orient crown of that division in a fight in Japan against a Japanese fighter.

In 1953, he lost on points to fellow Filipino Larry Bataan in his first bid for a featherweight title (OPBF); and, in the following year, he lost in his second try at that division when Shigeji Kanuko beat him in Tokyo on points.

Taking his featherweight campaign a step farther, he jumped into the world scene and faced the great Sandy Saddler at the Cow Palace in San Franciscio, CA, but was TKOD in the thirteenth round (Ref stopped the bout owing to cuts suffered by Elorde). Some six months earlier, in a bout held in Manila, Elorde had won over Saddler on points.

Actually, Elorde's legend did not begin to flower until after he had met Harold Gomes during the inauguration of the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City. He stopped Gomes cold in the 7th round to wrest the World Jr. Lightweight crown. They met again a few months later in San Francisco; Elorde made that evening shorter by KO'ing Gomes in the very first round.

Between defending his Jr. Lightweight crown against the likes of Sergio Caprarri, Love Allotey, Auburn Copeland and Johnny Bizzaro, Elorde frequently took time out to fight as a lightweight and the most storied meetings he had were those three against Tirou Kosaka of Japan and one against the legendary Ismael Laguna.

After losing to Carlos Ortiz in a fight in Manila, Elorde, met Kosaka an additional two times. Then, he met Ortiz again in 1966 at the Madison Square Garden in NY, where Ortiz felled him in the 14th.

Elorde lost his Jr. Lightweight title to Numata by MD15 in Tokyo in June 1967.

He fougth about a dozen more times, but his performance near the tail end of his career was at best spotty. Most of the losses one sees on his record came both at the start (when he was a struggling bootblack by day in the island province of Cebu in the Philippines) and near the end of his boxing days.

Da Flash passed on in Jan 2, 1985 at the age of 49, a victim of the big C.

Great info grayfist ! Thanks

Comment

Great info grayfist ! Thanks
                    No sweat, pal! Here's a little more Elorde trivia that may interest you and Jomapac:

In 1965 Da Flash went to New York to face Frankie Narvaez at MSG in a lightweight non-title tiff. When the decision favoring Elorde was announced, fans went on a rampage, throwing chairs and whatever moveable objects they laid there hands on. The riot spilled unto the streets where fans hurled bricks and stones from a nearby construction site!

Comment

grayfist was that fight won on a bad decision or just unruly fanatic action.....

Comment

Working...
                      X