No announcement yet.

Endurance Physiology Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endurance Physiology Question

So if I drop right now I can do 48 pushups.

At my gym, we work a skills circuit for 60 minutes before getting into open sparring (which, IMO, is one of the reasons that people drop out so fast at my gym ) However, 20-30 minutes into the circuit, I find I can only do ten, maybe 15 pushups before I gas out.

Most of the work we do in the skills circuit isn't chest or arm-related, at least not from a muscle-group-specific standpoint: a typical circuit might include 3-minute rounds of heavy bag, burpees, mountain climbers, pad and focus mitt work, punch-out drills, crunches, medicine-ball work, bodyshots, chinups, and 3-4 sets of skipping rope.

Is this normal? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is oxygen deprivation. I thought I was good with my breathing but I'm wondering if, at my age (36), and my build (light heavy at 5'9") that I might be having trouble with oxygen transport.

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
    So if I drop right now I can do 48 pushups.

At my gym, we work a skills circuit for 60 minutes before getting into open sparring (which, IMO, is one of the reasons that people drop out so fast at my gym ) However, 20-30 minutes into the circuit, I find I can only do ten, maybe 15 pushups before I gas out.

Most of the work we do in the skills circuit isn't chest or arm-related, at least not from a muscle-group-specific standpoint: a typical circuit might include 3-minute rounds of heavy bag, burpees, mountain climbers, pad and focus mitt work, punch-out drills, crunches, medicine-ball work, bodyshots, chinups, and 3-4 sets of skipping rope.

Is this normal? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is oxygen deprivation. I thought I was good with my breathing but I'm wondering if, at my age (36), and my build (light heavy at 5'9") that I might be having trouble with oxygen transport.
    u do all that non stop? no rests in between? holy ****, DJ, it's only normal to gas out after that.

Comment

Originally posted by dr filth View Post
      u do all that non stop? no rests in between? holy ****, DJ, it's only normal to gas out after that.
      15 or 30-second rests between each 3-minute round. But yeah. It's murderous.

Comment

15 or 30-second rests between each 3-minute round. But yeah. It's murderous.
        that's like fighting every time u train, except without getting hit. i think if it were me, i'd alternate - i'd do the hardcore non stop one day and then the next just focus on specific things - heavybag, plyometrics, hitting the tire with sledgehammer, etc. with a few minutes of rest in between, but i am a *****

maybe if i listened to gruntruck while i worked out i could do your workout every day... nah, probably not

Comment

Originally posted by dr filth View Post
          that's like fighting every time u train, except without getting hit. i think if it were me, i'd alternate - i'd do the hardcore non stop one day and then the next just focus on specific things - heavybag, plyometrics, hitting the tire with sledgehammer, etc. with a few minutes of rest in between, but i am a *****
          Rest rounds are not an option unless you're a total noob; they let you slide on it for the first few weeks or so. This is why I only go 3 times a week and weight train on the other days. If I go more than 3-4 days a week I get exhausted.

Comment

Rest rounds are not an option unless you're a total noob; they let you slide on it for the first few weeks or so. This is why I only go 3 times a week and weight train on the other days. If I go more than 3-4 days a week I get exhausted.
            that makes more sense to me, i thought u were doing it everyday. if it was twice, three times a week max and then other days do cleans and sparring or other stuff, that actually sounds like a good routine

Comment

That's normal enough man. Think of Gatti doing 20 pushups before the start of round 10 in his Ward fights, I doubt he could've either. There are things you can do to improve it though. Proper nutrition is pretty key, if you've gonna be doin' long term intense work like that, you need to have enough carbs to burn. Fat metabolism just doesn't cut it in that case. Hell, when I ran X-country, they use to make us run with gummy bears in out hands to eat along the way to keep our sugars up.

Now, have you not improved? Can you perform just same as you could 6 months ago? If so, it may just be the age man. Long term work is the first to go with age. Stallone can lift more than me, but I'll bet I could go longer on the bag than him. Unfortuantly that just happens man. At your age there's probably a bit of a Red-Queen theory goin' on, as long as you can stay level, then that's still pretty good for your age.

If you're worried about oxygen, are you sure you're breathing properly? If you don't have enough water, you can't make any ATP for energy, and if you don't have enough iron, you can't bring O2 through your body.

You seem like a pretty healthy guy though, it may just be the age man, it might be starting to affect performance, in fact, I can promise you that it does at 36. Depending on a lot though, that effect can be almost null. Just keep at it man, as long as you push yourself as hard as you do, you'll always be in good shape.

Peace,
              Trick

Comment

at my bozing gym when i go if i can. I encounter the same problem, i.e we'll do the circuit 3 times over and it may include situps squat thrusts etc and I find myself doin not nearly as many push ups as I can normally do

Comment

Not surprising, with all bozing going on I am sure its hard to stand up let alone box.

lol

DMC

Comment

Why do you give a **** as long as you can kick the other guy's ass? Nice American bulldog.....

Comment

Working...
                    X