No announcement yet.

GGG really has had a disappointing career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGG really has had a disappointing career

A few paper titles at 160 with really only 1 of the belts earned by defeating a half decent fighter in Lemieux. He’s the king of winning vacant straps. We know he has only tested himself twice both times against the same elite opponent and arguably lost both officially one. He refused to move up to fight ward he picked smaller guys like Brook a career welter. If he never fights again his legacy is very thin with no premier wins and not even undisputed status which could’ve helped him if he chased BJS. I just can’t give the guy much credit considering how weak his resume has been.

My opinion of him has changed a lot over the last 12 months or so. I defended him a lot for turning down fights as his goal was "all of the belts". Then when Saunders was wanting to fight him for "all of the belts" he turned him down, twice. Signing with PBC will prove once and for all it was all a charade, DAZN has "all of the belts", and even the TBRB no1/Ring champion at 168 is ready to fight him, if he wants to finally prove the "154-168" talk.

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
      A few paper titles at 160 with really only 1 of the belts earned by defeating a half decent fighter in Lemieux. He’s the king of winning vacant straps. .
      3G never once won a vacant strap.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
        3G never once won a vacant strap.
        The wbc belt

He won the interim and was promoted to full champ

Never winning the title from the real champ Canelo in the ring

Comment

He dominated a semi weak division exactly how he should have. He been leagues above the rest of the middleweights for years. Avoided within his OWN weight class. He fought where he is comfortable. He's no weight bullying. he travels to fight. Became one of the faces of HBO, made a ton of money in and out of the ring and used his fame and fortune to do great things in his country. He's no atg but few are. Is he special? no, but he is good

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
            The wbc belt

He won the interim and was promoted to full champ

Never winning the title from the real champ Canelo in the ring
            ok but he didnt win it, because "win" implies beating someone to take it.

He was upgraded to it. Its not the same as winning a fight to take it, because before the fight began it was an "interim" trinket. If its a vacant belt fight they should call it a vacant belt fight, not call it interim and then upgrade it when the fight is over.

Getting it upgraded outside the ring is way worse than winning a vacant belt, btw. It means you didnt even win it in the ring.

Also I think you mean to include his WBC one, which he had "upgraded" before getting in the ring with Geale.

Two of his titles were handed to him - the one he won in the ring ws vs Lemieux, a weak titlist.

GGG went on to defend the only title he actually won, just 4times -Wade, Brook, Jacobs, Alvarez.
            Just 4 defences of a title he actually won, with 50% of them against top contenders.
            Last edited by DreamFighter; 01-12-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lopez_Boxing View Post
              He dominated a semi weak division exactly how he should have. He been leagues above the rest of the middleweights for years. Avoided within his OWN weight class. He fought where he is comfortable. He's no weight bullying. he travels to fight. Became one of the faces of HBO, made a ton of money in and out of the ring and used his fame and fortune to do great things in his country. He's no atg but few are. Is he special? no, but he is good
              the first three top MWs he faced, he struggled with two of them, so is absolutely not dominated. He dominated ONE of the top three he faced. 33% is not domination of a divsion,

Comment

Not the greatest, but I’d be pretty damn happy with it if it was my career.

Comment

yeah ggg is true definition of hypejob

Comment

Originally posted by Real King Kong View Post
                    Not the greatest, but I’d be pretty damn happy with it if it was my career.
                    yeah most of us would be happy...but reality is prob 90 percent of these guys(i may be underselling) are doing better than all of us.....but its a boxing forum where common folk discuss fighters and their careers

and his is kinda disappointing...especially the way he was sold...by hbo...by abel...by his fans.....

imagine crawford staying with arum for another 3 years and fighting more of the same disappointing comp...then he goes and gets say shawn porter and thurman or spence...and scrapes by porter and cant get a W against spence/thurman.....would u still think hes as good as you think he is now?

Comment

Working...
                    X