Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tall boxers who could fight on the inside?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tall boxers who could fight on the inside?

I've got limited experience boxing - had a few amateur bouts, and a few smoker bouts. I was fairly tall for the weights I fought at 140ish - 160ish @ almost 6'1''

If I was fighting against a limited opponent, I would sometimes weave inside, and plant my head right between his chest and wail away at his body. Then I'd step back, use a left hook to turn him and step to his side and continue using my height to pepper him with 1's, 1-2's, 2-3's, and my favorite combo, the 5-2 (lead uppercut followed by straight right).

But if I was going against a guy faster than me (which was often the case as I was not very quick), I couldn't get my feet positioned on the inside to generate power, and he could always turn his shots over quicker than me.

So I never really learned to be a good inside fighter, and I feel like my height limited me (remember - being short is sometimes a better attribute than being tall; however, it is harder, and takes more skill to inhibit a taller fighter, than vice versa).

Anyway, who are some tall fighters who did manage to effectively use their leverage to be great inside fighters? I know Wladimir used his height very effectively to lean on guys on the inside after tying them up.

But I'm talking actual inside technicians, or even tall guys who could just bang like crazy on the inside.

Paul Williams comes to mind, but as he moved up in weight, and fought more skilled fighters, he got exposed and constantly got caught on the way in.

Diego Corrales and Lennox Lewis

Comment

Paul Williams

Comment

Riddick bowe, First Holyfield fight, Bowes inside game is really on display.

Hopkins was a tall middleweight but still could pinpoint body shots

Comment

Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
          Diego Corrales and Lennox Lewis
          Lennox Lewis could bang on the inside when need be couldn't he?

He was definitely a predominantly outside fighter, but i do remember several moments in his career where he punished guys on the inside.

Good mention of Corrales as well. Although Floyd dominated him on the inside. But Floyd dominated Hatton on the inside as well, who was one of the better inside fighters of his era..

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
            Paul Williams
            I mentioned Paul, but like me, when he started stepping up in class, and against heavier guys with power, and/or speed, he really lost his ability to effectively fight on the inside.

At 147 against a prime Margarito, doe, he did WORK on the inside.

Speaking of which, Margarito was a predominantly inside fighter, and was very tall for his weight class.

But again, when he stepped up and fought guys with speed or power, he was stifled

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              Riddick bowe, First Holyfield fight, Bowes inside game is really on display.

Hopkins was a tall middleweight but still could pinpoint body shots
              EXCELLENT example of Bowe against Holyfield.

And Holyfield was a short guy who was excellent on the inside. He was the prototypical inside fighter, as he had those short arms he could turn over very quick on the inside.

How do you think Bowe managed to outclass him a lot of the time of the inside? I mean he really imposed his will.

What did he do to enable him to enable him to get the best of one of the best inside-fighting HW's of all time? Seeing as how he was a good bit taller, and Holyfield had much quicker feet?

Comment

Ali, true artist inside and outside

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
                  Ali, true artist inside and outside
                  Lol first, a question that's been killing me - WHO the hell is that lil dude messing around with Ali in your sig?? Is that a midget, or some type of adult with a disorder? Or is that just a random lil kid? Hahah funny looking kid if so!

Was Ali really that good on the inside?

I'm trying to remember examples of him fighting on the inside for periods at a time.

Didn't he constantly hold Frazier on the inside, doe?? When Frazier would crowd him and bang away, he would just be holding? been a LONG time since I seen Ali footage, doe..

Being the great boxer he was, I imagine he could bang away on the inside if he had to. But he definitely didn't seek out engagements on the inside..

Comment

"140-160 lbs @ almost 6'1"..." That makes me think of Tommy Hearns, man. He relied more on his length and speed than his ability to fight inside but the dude had monster power that carried through the weight classes and he could throw some devastating hooks on the inside.

Thought that he was worth mentioning just based on the fact that you have the same build.

Comment

Working...
                    X