No announcement yet.

Why didn't Andre Ward become a superstar

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
    Heis argubally a top 25 great and one of the most skilled boxers in history. Looking back, I feel he should've been on the same level as Floyd when it came to popularity. Why didn't Ward ever reach those heights?
    His style was very ugly, not just to the casuals. No charisma outside the ring either.

Comment

Lack of a great adviser is the main reason.

Comment

Originally posted by kej718 View Post
        GGG ducked him (could have been his signature fight)

GGG absolutely did not duck him. Ward was inactive during GGG's accent and Ward hadn't fought at 168 (one division above GGG) for years. Hard to match up when the guy is inactive and in a division above you but when that guy wasn't even in the division above you since 2013.

Comment

He not top 25

Comment

Because people didn't want an LBC or AT BEST an MBC, they wanted a full-fledged BBC

Comment

Boring and dirty. Turned people off.

Comment

I hope he comes back and fights the Usyk-Bellew winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
                  Heis argubally a top 25 great and one of the most skilled boxers in history. Looking back, I feel he should've been on the same level as Floyd when it came to popularity. Why didn't Ward ever reach those heights?
                  He was a superstar to me. If you ask the people in Oakland, I'm sure they'll say the same.

Comment

The inactivity directly following what was his biggest win , vs Chad dawson. That took all his momentum, and since he's not a controversial character, he didn't pop mainstream

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
                      His style was very ugly, not just to the casuals. No charisma outside the ring either.
                      Ward is very charismatic compared to someone like Golovkin, Canelo or Pacquiao. He's just as charismatic as an Anthony Joshua

Unfortunately, standards for African Americans are very different than that of other boxers from different ethnic backgrounds
                      Last edited by Chollo Vista; 10-13-2018, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X