Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did floyd take the road of least resistance when he had a HOF resume by 2005

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did floyd take the road of least resistance when he had a HOF resume by 2005

Some people on this site regurgitate things they've heard, without doing any research

I've followed Mayweathers career in its entirety and he gets trashed for one of the reasons, he is considered an al ltime great. His consistency fighting world class opposition

fun facts

1) Mayweather won his first title in his first fight at age 21 and only his 18th fight

2) He won his third divisional title in 2005 at age 28

3) he was lineal champion in 2 divisions by age 25......a total of 11 defenses at 130 and 135

4) He defended the lineal title at 130, eight times and 4 were vs future of former champions....

5) in 2005 at age 28 he at 35-0 he had wins over 9 former or future champions/titlists

6) He fought the highest ranked guy twice at 130, corrales and G. Hernandez

7) He fought Castillo as soon as he went to 135 was outweighed ten pounds, and gave an immediate rematch after a close first fight...that was a risk

so please explain to me how this guy took the road of least resistance when its fighters today in their 30s that resume cant even compare to his in his mid 20s.
    Last edited by therealpugilist; 07-27-2016, 08:42 AM.

Comment

He fought Baldomir instead of Margarito in 2006

Hatton instead of Cotto in 2007

Nobody in 2008

Tune up fight against a much smaller fighter in 2009

Mosley was a good fight in 2010 since he had previously destroyed Fartarito

2011 he fought Ortiz

2012 Cotto was a good fight.

2013 Guerrero was a joke of a fight, fought a green Canelo who he made lose two pounds.

I'm a fan of Floyd because he's the most talented boxer of his generation, but he got complacent in the latter part of his career. I realize you can't possibly fight every top fighter there is but he's made some questionable decisions.

Comment

Road of least resistance gave him the best resume of his generation. WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post

Nobody in 2008

2011 he fought Ortiz

2013 Guerrero was a joke of a fight, fought a green Canelo who he made lose two pounds.

I'm a fan of Floyd because he's the most talented boxer of his generation, but he got complacent in the latter part of his career. I realize you can't possibly fight every top fighter there is but he's made some questionable decisions.
          ....how did he become complacent when he came back in 09 and defeated future hall of famers JMM, Cotto, Manny, Mosley, Canelo may become one, and all his opponents were former or future world champions? Also won two lineal titles at 154 and 147. he added to his legacy

it makes no sense to me

I do agree, no fighter especially in the lower weights can or have fought every good or great near their size...its impossible

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
            Road of least resistance gave him the best resume of his generation. WTF?
            I think max kellerman was hired to take Bayless' position as the mayweather troll on first take

anyone who knows boxing, acknowledges he took the most risks in the passing era....his resume indicates this

people are just butthurt they didnt see the man take an L

Comment

Nobody in 2008

2011 he fought Ortiz

fighting for a legitimate world title> fighting for a trinket

so Baldomir was more worthwhile than Margarito who also took a loss to a prospect in 20007, paul williams had no wins over top ten welterweights until he beat Margo...margo could have kept winning and the demand for the fight or unification would have been there

name a fighter in history who never fought a smaller fighter....mayweather fought across 5 divisions and was the smaller man by 10 pounds or more several times...no one made excuses for him so kill the excuses for marquez who wanted to be p4p # 1...both are atg so size didnt matter as much...no one complained when floyd was outweight ten pounds vs castillo in both fights...he found a way to win

as far as canelo being green....no way can 7 year veteran with 40 plus fights be green...thats as stupid as people calling hopkins at 28 with over 20 fights green when he fought Jones. Hopkins had over 90 amatuer fights.

just seem like people are butthurt he hasnt lost to me

the proof is in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mc,Lovin View Post
                did Robinson "duck" charley Burley? how about Cocoa kid, and the rest of black murderer's row from 147-160?

no fighter in history fought every good or great fighter near their size....Robinson is no different

its ok if you wanted to see the man take an L, admit it and move on

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                  fighting for a legitimate world title> fighting for a trinket

so Baldomir was more worthwhile than Margarito who also took a loss to a prospect in 20007, paul williams had no wins over top ten welterweights until he beat Margo...margo could have kept winning and the demand for the fight or unification would have been there

name a fighter in history who never fought a smaller fighter....mayweather fought across 5 divisions and was the smaller man by 10 pounds or more several times...no one made excuses for him so kill the excuses for marquez who wanted to be p4p # 1...both are atg so size didnt matter as much...no one complained when floyd was outweight ten pounds vs castillo in both fights...he found a way to win

as far as canelo being green....no way can 7 year veteran with 40 plus fights be green...thats as stupid as people calling hopkins at 28 with over 20 fights green when he fought Jones. Hopkins had over 90 amatuer fights.

just seem like people are butthurt he hasnt lost to me

the proof is in the pudding.
                  I'm not "butthurt" at all. As I said I was a fan. Second, whether he lost or not was not big deal to me as I think boxing puts too much emphasis on wins and losses. While winning is important, losing shouldn't be the end of the world. I just think the fans got sold short of some great fights that could've been made, not to mention, Floyd could've shut the detractors up.

Comment

I'm not "butthurt" at all. As I said I was a fan. Second, whether he lost or not was not big deal to me as I think boxing puts too much emphasis on wins and losses. While winning is important, losing shouldn't be the end of the world. I just think the fans got sold short of some great fights that could've been made, not to mention, Floyd could've shut the detractors up.
                    no fighter in history has fought every good fighter near their size, no one...not even ray robinson or leonard.

Floyd was never going to shut the detractors up because they are waiting for him to lose.

Hell he beat Cotto 9-3 and people were making a big deal out of a nose bleed like it was some type of victory

if winning a title at 21, beating over 20 world champions and winning titles at 5 divisions isnt enough, then you'll never shut the detractors up

dude has the best resume of his generation and still gets trashed, while lesser fighters, who have a more likeable style get excuses made for them why their resume is hot gawbage

just being real, he was never going to please everyone, no one can.

after Gatti fight, I noticed no matter who he fought, or when he fought them, their was the oh he ducking, oh he scared, then he beats them...insert excuse

rinse, wash,repeat

I dont think a fighter should be penalized for making it look easy and the same thing happen to whitaker and jones in their prime. not their fault they embarassed world class fighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X