This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
    It's nothing to really joke about though, is it? I wouldn't call anyone involved a coward by any means.
    There's just different attitudes to war in Europe than America. America had always been away from it all and untouched where as the European countries experienced huge scale death and destruction first hand in WW1. So it's not surprising that the protagonists would want to avoid war by any means necessary.
    And after the Spanish Civil War, everyone in Europe knew the horrors that aerial bombing would inflict on the large cities.
    chamberlain was a fool.

luckily winston was still around.

i don't know what the horrors of aerial bombing has to do with england doing night time bombings though. night time bombing was even more inaccurate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
      chamberlain was a fool.

luckily winston was still around.

i don't know what the horrors of aerial bombing has to do with england doing night time bombings though. night time bombing was even more inaccurate.
      Chamberlain was a fool. The Brits and French should have made a move much sooner and struck first. Hitler broke The Treaty of Versailles by re-militarising the Rhineland and yet no one did a thing. Chamberlain was ignorant and just didn't prepare for war. In '39 there wasn't enough equipment in Britain to equip a single full division. The only thing we had an advantage in was at sea, but the navy had to be deployed around the globe to keep the supplies coming in.
      So it took a lot of guts to declare war against an enemy that was better equipped, better prepared and frankly better lead. Although by then, there wasn't much choice in the matter.

And the night bombings were a psychological strategy above all. The bombers were no longer just going after military targets but also bombing residential areas too. Regular night air raids forced families out of their beds at night and into the shelters and left them tired the next day. Prolonged night raids lower morale and productivity. Completely fecked up the French.

Comment

Chamberlain was a fool. The Brits and French should have made a move much sooner and struck first. Hitler broke The Treaty of Versailles by re-militarising the Rhineland and yet no one did a thing. Chamberlain was ignorant and just didn't prepare for war. In '39 there wasn't enough equipment in Britain to equip a single full division. The only thing we had an advantage in was at sea, but the navy had to be deployed around the globe to keep the supplies coming in.
        So it took a lot of guts to declare war against an enemy that was better equipped, better prepared and frankly better lead. Although by then, there wasn't much choice in the matter.

And the night bombings were a psychological strategy above all. The bombers were no longer just going after military targets but also bombing residential areas too. Regular night air raids forced families out of their beds at night and into the shelters and left them tired the next day. Prolonged night raids lower morale and productivity. Completely fecked up the French.
        germany would not have put up much of a fight at the beginning. it took them time to rebuild their military.

the moment they showed signs of acting up again britain should have acted. germany was completely surrounded.

kinda like when napoleon returned to power. napoleon tried to kiss butt and act like he wanted peace.

britain would have none of it and didn't give napoleon time to build up his forces to what he once had.

i agree the night raids were useful and needed.

i just didn't understand because you were talking about how england knew the horrors of aerial bombing.

Comment

i just didn't understand because you were talking about how england knew the horrors of aerial bombing.
          Yeah, I mean't that in the Spanish Civil War '36-'39 air raids became a huge player for the first time and created more civilian casualties than military casualties.
          Britain saw this and knew that if there was a war with Germany, they could no longer keep the fighting at arm's length on the mainland because the German planes would come and wreak havoc on the overcrowded cities.

Comment

Yeah, I mean't that in the Spanish Civil War '36-'39 air raids became a huge player for the first time and created more civilian casualties than military casualties.
            Britain saw this and knew that if there was a war with Germany, they could no longer keep the fighting at arm's length on the mainland because the German planes would come and wreak havoc on the overcrowded cities.
            ok i get it now.

as in england was hesitant of war because of fear of bombing of english cities.

i was confused.

'cause 1st we were talking about nightime bombing by the english and you said england knew the horrors of aerial bombing.

i was like , "wait nighttime bombing is worse."

Comment

ok i get it now.

as in england was hesitant of war because of fear of bombing of english cities.

i was confused.

'cause 1st we were talking about nightime bombing by the english and you said england knew the horrors of aerial bombing.

i was like , "wait nighttime bombing is worse."
              I get confused sometimes. Usually on the subject of JMM.

Who was he again?

Comment

I get confused sometimes. Usually on the subject of JMM.

Who was he again?
                why do you keep trying to wind me up?

you know that stupid thread already wound me up yesterday and the day before.

Comment

why do you keep trying to wind me up?

you know that stupid thread already wound me up yesterday and the day before.
                  We both like Cotto though, don't we?

Comment

We both like Cotto though, don't we?
                    no. we both do not.

Comment

• i need a picture of yamashita with a hat.

haig gets a hat. yamashita should have a hat as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X