No announcement yet.

Put Sonny Liston in Tyson/Holyfield's era

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put Sonny Liston in Tyson/Holyfield's era

If Liston were around during the late 80's, 90's era of HW when Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, etc. were around how do you think he would do? Do you think he can be dominant and potentially beat all of them? Or will he have some losses along the way?

I think he would flourish. I have and always will believe he was forced to take a dive in both fights with Ali. He was a very underrated fighter and had the boxing skills and KO power to knock out any of the 80s/90s HWs. That said, he could also have been defeated by Holyfield and Lewis as well. These would all be competitive fights. I would say he would have held a title in that era at some point.

Comment

Just like the other great heavyweights in the 80/90s he would have some big losses and big wins and be something like 3-2 or 2-3 in big major fights.

I honestly would slightly favor Tyson, Holyfield, bowe, Lennox over Liston.
      uncle ben uncle ben likes this.

Comment

I think Liston would win some and lose some. He is unlikely to be outclassed in this company though.

Comment

He would get his ass handed to him, He was to damn slow and basic

Comment

Young Tyson ('87 - '88, with Rooney) would have stopped Liston, who would have kept missing his shots. But by the 90s, it became perfectly acceptable to hold your opponent all day long, and Sonny could have learned how to use it. He would have been very competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
              He would get his ass handed to him, He was to damn slow and basic
              He looks quite slow to me as well in the film I've watched of him.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                He looks quite slow to me as well in the film I've watched of him.
                He punches and steps like he is a basic beginner..I think his long jab and strewth won a lot of fights for him along with fighters being terrified of hin
                moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

He would beat everyone except for Holyfield and Lewis but he has the tools to beat Lewis.

Comment

First of all prime Liston had a really good beard, it would be hard for any of the guys to beat him in a shoot out. Lewis would have problems this way for sure. Liston also had much better endurance and fought 3 minutes of every round so his activity level would be hard to match for guys like Bowe for example who gassed a lot.

Liston had great combos and the heavy hands of Foreman. He looks slow at times because he is heavy handed...LARRYXXX!!! and that jab felt like a telephone pole.

I think prime for prime, Tyson might have a chance to beat Liston because of his fast feet and quick unrelenting attack. Also Tyson was wicked fast and could get under Liston's jab to come in and deliver his short crisp combos. Holyfield is an interesting consideration, but ultimately I think Liston is active enough to not get blitzed and to be like Bowe was towards Holyfield.

Thing is: Liston was not a speed demon but was solid in his short stepping, I don't think that Holyfield could get him on his heels like he did Mike TYson.

Liston was very good. He mentored Foreman as well and its worth remembering that when you make the opponent fight at your pace, speed becomes secondary. Unless a guy like Tyson, with fast feet can prevail, nobody in this group is getting to Liston with speed and accuracy...remember his reach...Lewis could hardly keep from tripping on his feel lol! I don't think he gets to Liston and even if he does, his chin would give first.
                    Marchegiano Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X