No announcement yet.

Does jimmy mclarin deserve to be ranked 21st p4p

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    You have Giardello listed, Robinson never beat Giardello.

For Armstrong you missed Chalky Wright and Benny Bass.
    I did correct the Giardello thing in the meantime. You probably missed it cause you did research...
    But thanks for the information, you are right, I didnt list Bass and Wright. Funny how I dont even remember ever seeing those 2 guys box...

Comment

Bert Sugar knew boxing... so I've never understood why his lists were so atrocious. (Ezzard Charles at #27 all time?)

With that being said, McLarnin came in at #25 on my most recent P4P list, so I have no quarrel with Sugar's ranking here.
      Last edited by SBleeder; 09-22-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I have him "triple tied for 19th" on my list! Just found my list in the garage file cabinet that has other worthless crap in it!!
        The guy was a GREAT fighter/boxer where he places on a list of other great fighters is ridiculous!
        I also have Wlad at tied for 237th!!! Slightly ahead of Jess Willard but not quite over taking Bo Bo Brazile!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          I have him "triple tied for 19th" on my list! Just found my list in the garage file cabinet that has other worthless crap in it!!
          The guy was a GREAT fighter/boxer where he places on a list of other great fighters is ridiculous!
          I also have Wlad at tied for 237th!!! Slightly ahead of Jess Willard but not quite over taking Bo Bo Brazile!! Ray.
          post your full list if it isn't too much bother please.

Comment

great comments on Jimmy. He fought some other greats and did well.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
              Just looked this up as I thought Mclarnin beating 14 HOFers seemed a bit much, I know for a fact Ali has beaten the second most number of HOFers and it's less than 14.

Mclarnin beat 15 world champions and 5 of those were HOFers. Still a great achievement.
              Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              No, Mclarnin beat 12 HOF'ers, not 5. 11 if you don't include his DQ win over Bud Taylor. Still, a win's a win.

Canzoneri
              Ross
              Leonard
              Petrolle
              Ambers
              LaBarba
              Villa
              Kaplan
              Corbett 3
              Mandall
              Fields
              Taylor

That's 12 HOF'ers he beat.
              Ahhh, cheers IDH. 12, not 14. Still a very scary achievement when you look at some of those guys and compare it to other greats resumes. Robinson only 10 etc. Only Greb fought and beat more.

Ali did well there with HOFers, but it's his general body of work that's really impressive.

This just goes to show. McLarnin has beaten more HOFers across more divisions than just about anyone except Greb and yet most people have no idea about him.

Canzoneri and Ross is great. But when you factor in guys like Pancho Villa, Fidel Labarba down around Flyweight too, Lou Ambers etc....Damn!

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                Ali hasn't beaten the second most different HOF's, he had 7.

SRR and Henry Armstrong had 10, Langford 11, Louis 8 as did Loughran. Canzoneri and Charles had 9.

Greb is the victor with 13.
                .....and McLarnin 2nd with 12!

Comment

If ezzard charles is outside of the top 10 or top 15.......just no.
                  I have McLarnin in the top 20

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    No, Mclarnin beat 12 HOF'ers, not 5. 11 if you don't include his DQ win over Bud Taylor. Still, a win's a win.

Canzoneri
                    Ross
                    Leonard
                    Petrolle
                    Ambers
                    LaBarba
                    Villa
                    Kaplan
                    Corbett 3
                    Mandall
                    Fields
                    Taylor

That's 12 HOF'ers he beat.
                    I'm getting my data from the official HOF website and boxrec. I'd like to know your sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
                      I'm getting my data from the official HOF website and boxrec. I'd like to know your sources.
                      He listed more people than you did, what fighters do you think shouldn't qualify?

Citing your source and not actually saying why you think he's incorrect doesn't really mean anything. For all we know it just means you've copied an error from another site.

Comment

Working...
                      X