Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes never gets the credit he deserves!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holmes never had that big signature win or exciting style. He came after Ali era and before Tyson era. Great HW though. One of the best jabs in boxing and a solid chin.

Comment

Sure he did. He beat Ken Norton the universally considered No 1 contender and uncrowned hwt champion in one of the most exciting bouts in hwt history. Although Ali was wayyyy past his prime Holmes win over Ali and Norton provides enough evidence to make him the hwt champion Post Ali.

Comment

Holmes is historically top 3 heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Century Tuna View Post
          A Prime Holmes beats most of the greats in my view. Very underrated.
          I think..... I’m not sure.... but I think... when he said some negative things about Marciano... he looked kinda bad?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            Holmes never had that big signature win or exciting style. He came after Ali era and before Tyson era. Great HW though. One of the best jabs in boxing and a solid chin.
            I agree.... and I think his jock strap rocky marciano comment hurt him.... also his beat down of an old and faded Ali......??

Comment

Holmes was his own worst enemy. He had a “attitude” about him that turned people off. It erupted with his comments regarding Marciano which were completely uncalled for. If Holmes had more of an easy going personality, engaging instead of trying to be an ass he would be even higher rated today.

Comment

Holmes had incredible lateral movement. Great fighter but I can think of quite a few heavyweights that beat him. Liston, Louis, Dempsey, frazier, Ali, Marciano off the top of my head.

Toss up would be Tunney, Johnson, Lewis, Tyson, Foreman.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                  Holmes was his own worst enemy. He had a “attitude” about him that turned people off. It erupted with his comments regarding Marciano which were completely uncalled for. If Holmes had more of an easy going personality, engaging instead of trying to be an ass he would be even higher rated today.
                  And would have been champion longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    But he was lineal when he won against the shell of Ali
                    Yes, the lineal title is the only one that counts.

You could argue, Holmes becoming the true champ on March 31, 1980, when he defended the WBC title against Leroy Jones. Because the same night, Mike Weaver relieved John Tate of the WBA title. Weaver, who had already lost to Holmes for the WBC title.
                    In those days, WBC and WBA were the only corrupt alphabet organizations in business.

Let's hope Wilder and Joshua get the message: the lineal title is the only one that counts.

Comment

No. The title Tate, Weaver etc geld was meaningless. Those fighters were never hwt champion of the world. Holmes title claim comes from beating Norton the Universal No 1 contender AND by beating Ali. The Ali win although against a old faded sick Ali gives Holmes a link to the lineal title.

Also Holmes lateral movement was not that great. Good yes but nothing compared with Ali as an example.

Comment

Working...
                      X