No announcement yet.

Reminder: Pedvetkin wasn't that good.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnston View Post
    How is weight even relevant? Why not account age, height,reach and every other imaginable factor?

You also happen to leave out the part were Ortiz was winning the fight in most people's eyes and had wilder in serious trouble, but he got a lot of help to recover.. Which was blatant.

Mental gymnastics lol
    The point I'm making is that not only was Povetkin old, shot and washed up but he would have always had serious matchup problems with Anthony Joshua due to his being the naturally smaller man. He is a blown up Cruiserweight for Christ's sake.

That made all the difference in this fight. The reason is because first Povetkin was never known for his punching power and secondly, he lacks the overall ability like arm length, reach and height in order to compete with a Super heavyweight like AJ.

He would have always been at a physical disadvantage when challenging Joshua even in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
      Solis' only career loss was Vitali Klitschko and it was due to a knee injury, he was still better than a lot of heavies in the division.

Only Wlad had stopped Tony Thompson, Ortiz dispatched of him with utter ease compared to Takam & Pulev.

-Mike Perez said he was drunk in the ring for Pedvetkin, didn't even care he got knocked down. Perez was a literal alcoholic at that point, even showed up to camp looking very poor. This win does not count.

-Pedvetkin started off down 0-4 against Pedvetkin on the judge's cards, his performance was similar to Chisora. Poor performance, not a signature win.

-Chagaev-Pedvetkin was 7 years ago, Chagaev was last relevant close to 10 years ago in an entirely different HW scene.

-Huck had already been stopped by Cunningham and drew with Afolabi right after arguably beating Pedvetkin. Huck was like the 4th best cruiser in his division, arguably worst getting a gift to Afolabi.

Face it, Pedvetkin's resume is not good at all, it filled with heavies from a much weaker era when Fury, Wilder, AJ, and Ortiz, the real top 4 heavies, were still developing.

I see where this is headed.

All of that to defend Luis Ortiz’s win over Thompson?

At this point there’s nothing anyone can tell you that will talk sense into you, even with facts and ratings. Imma do it anyway.

Chagaev for example only lost to a Wlad of ten years ago and managed to be a top ten HW for about 3 years AFTER Povetkin. Nice try. But i guess that only works for shot ass Thompson to boost Ortiz’s win. Thompson was absolute trash by the time Ortiz fought him.

Marco Huck was in the ring top two or three for years and was damn good and fought Afolabi like 3-4 times and not once did he lose. He lost a good fight to Povetkin. And he got stopped by Cunningham some 5-6 years before Povetkin, before his title “reign”. Utterly irrelevant.

Better Pro. Better wins.

Oh..and for good measure.. (IIRC!).he dropped and “stopped” Ortiz in the amateurs. Yeah, I said it. If we’re going to talk nonsense, let’s not act like that never happened.

Povetkin is literally better than Ortiz in every way...his own career, and he’s “beaten him”. So...

Ride that Thompson stoppage and Bryant Jennings going 12 with Wlad and getting dominated...as if somehow Ortiz got in the ring with Wlad. Know who’s actually got in the ring with Wlad? Povetkin. That’s how long Povetkin has been towards the top.

Dude..Jennings LOST. What kind of argument is that?
      Last edited by NearHypnos; 09-22-2018, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
        I see where this is headed.

All of that to defend Luis Ortiz’s win over Thompson?

At this point there’s nothing anyone can tell you that will talk sense into you, even with facts and ratings. Imma do it anyway.

Chagaev for example only lost to a Wlad of ten years ago and managed to be a top ten HW for about 3 years AFTER Povetkin. Nice try. But i guess that only works for shot ass Thompson to boost Ortiz’s win. Thompson was absolute trash by the time Ortiz fought him.

Marco Huck was in the ring top two or three for years and was damn good and fought Afolabi like 3-4 times and not once did he lose. He lost a good fight to Povetkin. And he got stopped by Cunningham some 5-6 years before Povetkin, before his title “reign”. Utterly irrelevant.

Better Pro. Better wins.

Oh..and for good measure.. (IIRC!).he dropped and “stopped” Ortiz in the amateurs. Yeah, I said it. If we’re going to talk nonsense, let’s not act like that never happened.

Povetkin is literally better than Ortiz in every way...his own career, and he’s “beaten him”. So...

Ride that Thompson stoppage and Bryant Jennings going 12 with Wlad and getting dominated...as if somehow Ortiz got in the ring with Wlad. Know who’s actually got in the ring with Wlad? Povetkin. That’s how long Povetkin has been towards the top.

Dude..Jennings LOST. What kind of argument is that?

There isn't much difference between the Thompson that Takam/Pulev fought and the one Ortiz destroyed. Thompson would've lost to Solis if he was as shot as you said.

Chagaev was last relevant a decade ago dude and he was diagnosed with hepatitis B in 2009 and faded into irrelevancy.

You call Jennings taking Wlad to a competitive decision with 2 judges' cards 116-111, a low bar, yet Chagaev couldn't even pass that bar! Jennings-Wlad was NOTHING like how Chagaev got demolished by Wlad.

Do you realize the HW scene has changed dramatically since then? AJ, Whyte and Parker weren't even pros yet, Wilder and Fury were too green, Ortiz barely turned pro in 2010, etc. This is an entirely different era of fighters for the most part.

Marco Huck was the king of the robberies, he got gifted wins against Lebedev, Arlsan, Ramirez, and should've lost to Afolabi when he drew with him. He should have at least 5 losses on his record, he was another Sven Ottke, apparently you do not know this?

He got his ass beat by Cunningham, Glowacki and many others.

Amateurs lol, Ortiz was losing to Solis in the amateurs too, everybody knows in the pros he would've demolished him. You're talking about something that happened over a decade ago.

Pedvetkin's best win in the past 10 years or so over a top 10 HW has been similar to what Chisora did against Takam.
        Last edited by Cutthroat; 09-23-2018, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Povetkin always was a 2nd tier HW in a joke of an era at best. Horribly overrated. Chagaev level really.

Terribly overrated skillset because he won a gold medal.
          His fundamentals are poor.
          A less skilled Shawn Porter really.

Comment

Neither are Wilder, Joshua, Fury, Whyte or anybody else for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              Povetkin always was a 2nd tier HW in a joke of an era at best. Horribly overrated. Chagaev level really.

Heavyweight division has ALWAYS been a joke! It's just the way it is. And pretty much all the heavyweights have poor fundamentals and skill set.

Comment

Depends what you mean by second tier. He isnt on Wlad/Vitali level, so i guess yeah he is solidly in the contender status.

But he was one of the top contenders for nearly a decade, beat a fair few decent contenders himself, has a decent skillset (not sure what you are seeing there tbh). Wlad was petrified of letting him fight in mid range, and there is a reason for that.

He isnt as good as contenders of the past for sure, but in this era he was a very good fighter, and thats all he can ever prove.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  Depends what you mean by second tier. He isnt on Wlad/Vitali level, so i guess yeah he is solidly in the contender status.

But he was one of the top contenders for nearly a decade, beat a fair few decent contenders himself, has a decent skillset (not sure what you are seeing there tbh). Wlad was petrified of letting him fight in mid range, and there is a reason for that.

He isnt as good as contenders of the past for sure, but in this era he was a very good fighter, and thats all he can ever prove.

He hasn't a jab, his head movement isn't great or his guard - when he's moving his head his gloves aren't protecting his face. Why on earth nobody punches straight through his guard is beyond me especially with him being so squared up.
                  I think he's fairly explosive yet has pretty bad footwork.

He has alright combinations for a HW despite them being predictable and his punches being ridiculously wide. Lead overhand double left hook, over and over.

Effective vs fighters with no jab or ring IQ.
                  He has an exhausting style with all his lunging and wasted movement trying to get inside due to poor fundamentals, he has a good 4-5 rounds in him and nomore.

I think his skillset is tremendously overrated. A B+ combination puncher but he does nothing great. For me he's one of the biggest overachievers despite having no great win.

Good win for AJ but he only did what a good, big HW should do to a guy like that.
                  Stay disciplined, pin your right hand to your face and keep him on the jab, don't trade just let him expand his energy, up the pace and take him out.

Comment

He hasn't a jab, his head movement isn't great or his guard - when he's moving his head his gloves aren't protecting his face. Why on earth nobody punches straight through his guard is beyond me especially with him being so squared up.
                    I think he's fairly explosive yet has pretty bad footwork.

He has alright combinations for a HW despite them being predictable and his punches being ridiculously wide. Lead overhand double left hook, over and over.

Effective vs fighters with no jab or ring IQ.
                    He has an exhausting style with all his lunging and wasted movement trying to get inside due to poor fundamentals, he has a good 4-5 rounds in him and nomore.

I think his skillset is tremendously overrated. A B+ combination puncher but he does nothing great. For me he's one of the biggest overachievers despite having no great win.

Good win for AJ but he only did what a good, big HW should do to a guy like that.
                    Stay disciplined, pin your right hand to your face and keep him on the jab, don't trade just let him expand his energy, up the pace and take him out.
                    Which HW contender of the last 10 years could we not do that kind of analysis on though? These guys are all seriously flawed.

Only a handful of fighters (Wlad, Vit, Joshua, Wilder, Fury) I would pick to beat him. Joshua, Fury and Wilder would be interesting in Povetkins prime as well.

A few others could be 50/50's. That tells me he was a top fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                      Which HW contender of the last 10 years could we not do that kind of analysis on though? These guys are all seriously flawed.

Only a handful of fighters (Wlad, Vit, Joshua, Wilder, Fury) I would pick to beat him. Joshua, Fury and Wilder would be interesting in Povetkins prime as well.

A few others could be 50/50's. That tells me he was a top fighter.

They are, the rest at least have solid fundamentals apart from Wilder. What about Ortiz? I'd certainly favour him over Povetkin I'd love to see that next actually.
                      What about Haye? An in shape Chagaev? Pulev?

He's a good HW for this era, fringe top 5 I guess but easy work for vast majority of the real top HWs. I think he's levels below Fury, both Klitschko's, Wilder, I don't think he'd beat Ortiz for one moment.
                      Pulev, prime Haye, dare I say a motivated Chagaev could possibly beat him. Maybe even Parker and Whyte? But probably not the Povetkin from a few yrs back.

I feel I've horribly overrated Povetkin myself in the past tbh

Comment

Working...
                      X