Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should boxing scorecards be displayed live?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
    to the people mentioning trout though, surely thats a moot point because if it was closed scoring the outcome would have been that he'd have got shut out anyway. even though people thought he was doing well, the judges didnt which is basically the argument for open scoring so it at least gives you the opportunity to change something. i dont see much wrong with having the scorecards read out at round 6, that shouldnt affect the drama too much.
    okay, well if you're Canelo last night and you hear right before the tenth round "you're winning this by four rounds, just don't get knocked down" do you think we have those exciting last three rounds last night?

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
      okay, well if you're Canelo last night and you hear right before the tenth round "you're winning this by four rounds, just don't get knocked down" do you think we have those exciting last three rounds last night?
      nah i dont think each round should be read out but i dont see too much wrong with at least announcing it at the midway point so u can see whether the judges are appreciating your work. i understand though, ideally i wouldnt like it and prefer the drama of not knowing, but we see so many crazy scorecards and inconsistent judging that i think something has to change. i remember the flanagan hooker RBR, people were actually shocked that a fighter got a fair decision lol, what a sad state of affairs for the sport that it

Comment

Been a fan of this concept for years. Never been much of a fan of what the WBC does with their every 4 rds thing. I don't see a problem with full disclosure after the rd. I'd even ideally like the scores to be known within the first 30 seconds of the minute rest so trainers can have max impact at changing the momentum of the fight or adapting their strategy with their instructions.

I think it also would lead to promoters putting together more competitive fights, specifically at the club show level, cuz so many fights are one sided & people would leave early if it was 8-0 in a 12rd fight & the losing fighter had lil to no chance to KO his opponent.

Mostly doe I think its cuz its nuts athletes don't know where they stand. Even in sports with more non-traditional points subjective scoring there are hearing their scores after they compete in one round & can make a riskier move in the next round. In boxing you fight the whole fight without a clear clue of where you are at unless you get a KD or a point deduction or some other automatic alteration to your point total & then you know you won an extra point or loss a point.

So yea that should be a reality for boxing. And also I think in close fights when its tied up going into the last round the intensity & excitement for that last 3 minutes would be unlike anything we see in boxing cuz you'd truly know the fight hinges on those last 3 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by the mesiah View Post
          I would hate it personally, if a fighter definately knows he’s winning after 10 rounds say 7-3 he can intentionally get on his bike or minor exchange enough to not get KO’d last 2 rounds , no judge would give out 10-8 rounds if no knockdown occurred , just a 10-9 , then that seals the victory.If they don’t know the scoring it gives intrigue as some rounds could have gone either way on the buildup to the championship rounds .. just my 2¢
          Why is that necessarily bad?

In all other sports athletes milk the clock. I'd argue milking the clock when you are up is a strategy boxers should have access to like most other athletes have. I think its only a +. Fighters take less damage + prolong their careers with open scoring.

Comment

I was never really a fan the few times I'd seen it in use on.

It would be fun if both guys knew they needed the championship rounds to get the win. But, on the flip side could be a negative if a guy way ahead went into cruise control knowing he had a healthy lead.

Do the scores get read to the crowd? I can't recall.
            Imagine the crowd reaction in a fight like Pacquiao/Bradley when the scores were announced inbetween rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Why is that necessarily bad?

In all other sports athletes milk the clock. I'd argue milking the clock when you are up is a strategy boxers should have access to like most other athletes have. I think its only a +. Fighters take less damage + prolong their careers with open scoring.
              I don’t speak for all that watch the sport ,but I want my money’s worth when I go to the fights, watch them on PPV or even if they free , i want to see the fight all the way through until the final bell, I couldn’t care less about them prolonging their careers , them taking less damage just so they can take rounds Off picking and choosing which rounds they want to fight since they know for a fact how the last back and forth very close round was scored in their favor.I want the intrigue mystery ending at the last of the fight .

Comment

Originally posted by the mesiah View Post
                I don’t speak for all that watch the sport ,but I want my money’s worth when I go to the fights, watch them on PPV or even if they free , i want to see the fight all the way through until the final bell, I couldn’t care less about them prolonging their careers , them taking less damage just so they can take rounds Off picking and choosing which rounds they want to fight since they know for a fact how the last back and forth very close round was scored in their favor.I want the intrigue mystery ending at the last of the fight .
                So you don't watch any football or basketball? Fair play if you don't I don't watch other non-combat sports myself, but I'd find it interesting how you viewed athletes running down the clock in those sports.

I don't get the "intrigue & mystery" of a decision despite hearing mfers say it in these discussions all the time. I know who is gonna win, or shoulda won, 95% of the time probably. If there is a surprise its cuz someone got robbed or one judge gots a crazy scorecard. That 5% of the time happens seldom & for me it doesn't increase the excitement or appeal of the fight its merely part of the pageantry of boxing more than anything else & is a dated concept. Like the national anthem.

Comment

Should be, yes.

But won't be. There's no way sanctioning bodies, judges etc will open themselves up to the scrutiny that will come alongside it.

Nor will the people who bankroll dodgy decisions.

Comment

HELL NO! they done it before and it just ruins fights.

Comment

They should just give the 10-9 score after the round. I drink so much watching fights I cant add that **** up half the time anyways

Comment

Working...
                      X