Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who looked better, Rigo against Donaire or Loma against Russell?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darius45 View Post
    I actually think Rigo is closer to RJJ athletically speaking than Loma. Rigo is naturally the more athletic guy with great talent skills. Rigo and Loma's speed are very close too, with Rigo edging him out and having a reach advantage.

So Loma isn't even close to being RJJ in this scenario... In his prime, Roy had a massive speed advantage and athletic advantage over all his opponents. There is no huge gulf in talent or athletic ability or speed in Rigo-Loma. Neither does Loma rely on his athletic ability the way Roy did. If anything Loma is more of the tactician and Rigo relies on his athletic ability to deliver that quick counter left.

If Rigo hasn't diminished I don't see how Loma is going to knock him out. Loma couldn't knock out Gary Russell at 126 and now all of a sudden people think he's this big puncher who's going to KO a guy ten times better than Russell?
    I'm not comparing him to Roy athletically as there's never been a athlete as naturally gifted as Roy. I'm comparing him in terms of how unique his offence is.
    He throws shots from angles that shouldn't exist. A style like that is incredibly hard to defend against.
    And Loma is the way better athlete IMO, more explosive in his movements, better footspeed, more volume/better stamina etc. Rigo is very sharp and explosive with his counters but he likes to fight at a slower pace and really pick his shots, he won't be able to do this vs Loma especially with the weight/size disadvantage.
    Rigo's chin also is a big factor for me, he rarely gets caught clean but when he does he tends to go down, you don't have to be a massive puncher to hurt him, I mean the likes of Amagasa and Córdoba are far from KO merchants. Also Loma has showed legit power at 130, icing Martinez and stopping game durable guys like Sosa and Marriaga certainly convinces me he has enough to hurt and stop Rigo.
    Rigo is an elite p4p talent but this is a step too far IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
      Yea GR is prob faster then Rigo but don't have the timing,footwork(not running),or defence.Your right about Loma workrate but that will prob drop in this fight.It hard to throw 2,3,4 if you miss #1 it put you out of pos for rest of combo.I really hope Loma wins because if Rigo beats him(his 2nd top 5 pfp)it will mean we missed a great deal of a ATG in his prime.Guys ducked him something terrible and now at 37 at his size he cant have much left of prime if any.And writers like Dan Rafeal made it a lot easier for them to do it.His chin is deff a ? but so far all have been pretty much flash KD.We will have to see it will be interesting I think.
      That's a fair point. Both have excellent timing it'll be interesting to see who's is better. And it's disgraceful how Rigo has been shafted by promoters/networks and especially the media. It makes me laugh how impudent journalist's like Dan Rafael try to act as if they're purist's of this sport and then dismiss elite talents like Rigo as "boring". Just because he can't appreciate his superb defensive mastery. It's just pure ignorance, it really p*sees me off! I'd love to see fat dan eat crow if Rigo won.

Comment

Rigo as Donaire was a top of the top p4p fighter

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
          That's a fair point. Both have excellent timing it'll be interesting to see who's is better. And it's disgraceful how Rigo has been shafted by promoters/networks and especially the media. It makes me laugh how impudent journalist's like Dan Rafael try to act as if they're purist's of this sport and then dismiss elite talents like Rigo as "boring". Just because he can't appreciate his superb defensive mastery. It's just pure ignorance, it really p*sees me off! I'd love to see fat dan eat crow if Rigo won.
          Great points and it really pizees me off too.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            You’re making a big assumption there. I’ve been critical of Rigo many times, and I was a big fan of Lomo long before he turned pro. We’re comparing two specific fights here. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no comparison. And I’m not alone. Far as I can tell, the guys who agree with me aren’t Cuban. Hahaha
            suck it and take that L for your boxing knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
              Rigo got dropped by Nonito and Loma destroyed Walters who destroyed Nonito. Not even sure how this is a discussion.
              some of us see those things. Like it happened tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Tankdestroyer View Post
                suck it and take that L for your boxing knowledge
                Haha Hope this makes you feel better.

Comment

Loma looked great against Rigo...

Comment

Working...
                  X