No announcement yet.

new idea for shadowboxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new idea for shadowboxing

I had this idea today. It's probably nothing new though.

Next time you're shadowboxing, watch whoever is working the heavy bag and pretend the punches he's throwing are being aimed at you. So if he throws a right hook to the head you have to slip/block etc. Do some combinations when he's not punching and practice defense when he starts punching.

Probably best to do it without him noticing lol.

Good idea? You could even do it at home while watching a youtube video or something

Originally posted by AaronJW View Post

Next time you're shadowboxing, watch whoever is working the heavy bag and pretend the punches he's throwing are being aimed at you. So if he throws a right hook to the head you have to slip/block etc. Do some combinations when he's not punching and practice defense when he starts punching.

Good idea? You could even do it at home while watching a youtube video or something
    i already do this

Comment

It's nothing new but helps. Best thing to do is mirror work or get someone to watch you and tell you when your arms are not long or your guard against is exposing your chin, get on one of the small punch bags that has plenty of slack and movement or a ceiling floor bag. You don't need to smash it like a heavy bag, just taps, but when it swings it will help you slip, check shots.

Everyone loves the heavy bag but in my opinion of the traditional style bags, it is my least favourite and I feel least beneficial

Comment

yea helps. Also the other ppl shadowboxing you can watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
          It's nothing new but helps. Best thing to do is mirror work or get someone to watch you and tell you when your arms are not long or your guard against is exposing your chin, get on one of the small punch bags that has plenty of slack and movement or a ceiling floor bag. You don't need to smash it like a heavy bag, just taps, but when it swings it will help you slip, check shots.

Everyone loves the heavy bag but in my opinion of the traditional style bags, it is my least favourite and I feel least beneficial
          You mustn't be using the heavy bag properly.
          The heavy bag is great and used for distance,getting in and out, and footwork like stepping around the bag, it's also great if you have someone holding it with their arm out to try get inside it, and have someone try hit you with a pad as you get in and out......
          It's not just for swinging away at

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
            You mustn't be using the heavy bag properly.
            The heavy bag is great and used for distance,getting in and out, and footwork like stepping around the bag, it's also great if you have someone holding it with their arm out to try get inside it, and have someone try hit you with a pad as you get in and out......
            It's not just for swinging away at
            Oh, i agree its not just for swinging away but i find a floor ceiling and a double ended much more beneficial, the way they move, helps you much more to get your head off centre after/whilst you throw

Comment

I'm going to do this. I do think I may start laughing if they notice something is up.

As far as the youtube video, I've considered this before. I've even wondered if there were videos specifically made for this purpose.

Comment

Old news. Ever heard of peck and shoot or catch and shoot? As your trainer about it. Two man drills, really good.
                Last edited by McNulty; 01-26-2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                  Old news. Ever heard of peck and shoot or catch and shoot? If he doesn't know what that is, pack your shít and find a new one.
                  If the random guy on the heavy bag hasn't heard of this then he should leave and go elsewhere?

I've never heard of any of what you mentioned. I'm fairly new to this. Would I be responsible for people all over the country leaving their gyms and finding new ones?

Can I handle that kind of pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
                    If the random guy on the heavy bag hasn't heard of this then he should leave and go elsewhere?

I've never heard of any of what you mentioned. I'm fairly new to this. Would I be responsible for people all over the country leaving their gyms and finding new ones?

Can I handle that kind of pressure?
                    I was reading two threads at the same time, so that's my mistake. I thought he was talking about his trainer. I'll make the necessary edit, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X