No announcement yet.

Big fights/wins were the loser came off 12+ months of inactivity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big fights/wins were the loser came off 12+ months of inactivity

Mayweather-Mosley - Mosley was 38 and 15 months out of the ring.

Joshua-Klitshcko - Klit 41 and 16 months

Cotto-Martinez - Martinez coming off surgeries and 15 months off

Crawford-Gamboa - Gamboa coming off slightly over 12 months off

Any others?

Of these which are tainted/not that great and why?

I'd say you've also got to factor in what stage of the fighters career it was at. Joshua was making a huge step up and had never shared the ring with a top level fighter so he gets credit for that win.
    Crawford does too since Gamboa was unbeaten, had good form and was barely just passed 12 months. He also entered as the betting favorite and it was considered a huge step up in competition for Crawford.

I'd say the other two are tainted and don't quite register as great wins due to the ring rust, the ages and the fact Mayweather and Cotto had already been in big fights prior so no excuses for them unfortunately.

Hagler Leonard~

Hagler was off 13 months and Leonard like 3 years~

One of the biggest fights ever so~

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      Mayweather-Mosley - Mosley was 38 and 15 months out of the ring.

Joshua-Klitshcko - Klit 41 and 16 months

Cotto-Martinez - Martinez coming off surgeries and 15 months off

Crawford-Gamboa - Gamboa coming off slightly over 12 months off

Any others?

Of these which are tainted/not that great and why?

I'd say you've also got to factor in what stage of the fighters career it was at. Joshua was making a huge step up and had never shared the ring with a top level fighter so he gets credit for that win.
      Crawford does too since Gamboa was unbeaten, had good form and was barely just passed 12 months. He also entered as the betting favorite and it was considered a huge step up in competition for Crawford.

I'd say the other two are tainted and don't quite register as great wins due to the ring rust, the ages and the fact Mayweather and Cotto had already been in big fights prior so no excuses for them unfortunately.
      As I said previously, to call the Mosley win tainted for Floyd and not great completely contradicts what was said before the fight.

Prior to the fight, posters and fans claimed Floyd was afraid of Shane because he was bigger and as fast. Many people picked Shane to win.

From the point Floyd got over those monster punches and didn't go down, those same people have decided to focus on Shane's age.

Now, if you are a real boxing fan and didn't let hate for Floyd cloud your judgement prior to the fight, then I can see why you'd think it wasn't great.

That said, if you are someone that hates Floyd and posted some of the things I documented ( and I believe you are one of these people) then how can you not consider it a great win when a man defeats someone who is bigger, as fast, and better, even if they are much older?

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        Hagler Leonard~

Hagler was off 13 months and Leonard like 3 years~

One of the biggest fights ever so~
        Yup, but not recent.

Comment

Yup, but not recent.
          Did you say recent? Because I don't see that sentiment anywhere in your question?

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            As I said previously, to call the Mosley win tainted for Floyd and not great completely contradicts what was said before the fight.

Prior to the fight, posters and fans claimed Floyd was afraid of Shane because he was bigger and as fast. Many people picked Shane to win.

From the point Floyd got over those monster punches and didn't go down, those same people have decided to focus on Shane's age.

Now, if you are a real boxing fan and didn't let hate for Floyd cloud your judgement prior to the fight, then I can see why you'd think it wasn't great.

That said, if you are someone that hates Floyd and posted some of the things I documented ( and I believe you are one of these people) then how can you not consider it a great win when a man defeats someone who is bigger, as fast, and better, even if they are much older?
            I picked Mayweather to win easy. I wasn't that excited because I really hadn't enjoyed or rated Mosley's fights post-Forrest. He could never adapt.

It's possible Mayweather made it hard to make the fight but doesn't make the win better.

He was out 15 months and was clearly not the guy he once was. By the same token a lot of Floyd fans said Mosley was always overrated and would get beaten easily so the Mayweather fans that are real Boxing fans and don't let blind lust for the man get in the way they surely can't call it a great win?

Comment

I picked Mayweather to win easy. I wasn't that excited because I really hadn't enjoyed or rated Mosley's fights post-Forrest. He could never adapt.

It's possible Mayweather made it hard to make the fight but doesn't make the win better.

He was out 15 months and was clearly not the guy he once was. By the same token a lot of Floyd fans said Mosley was always overrated and would get beaten easily so the Mayweather fans that are real Boxing fans and don't let blind lust for the man get in the way they surely can't call it a great win?
              Ok, well I have to take your word for it. Mayweather didn't make the fight harder to make. He made the fight, he won the fight. If you honestly felt he would win, no beef. If you picked shane and said floyd was scared etc etc, own up to it and give Floyd credit for defeating him.

That is simply not true. You often post that Floyd fans do this and other stuff. Whenever I ask you to show where, you don't respond. Sort of the same thing Larry does to you, according to the thread you made that got deleted.

I get you don't like Floyd or his fans, but revising history to make your argument more valid is not right and lacks integrity. We have enough of that on NSB and its why the board has gone to shit.

Floyd was the best in the world when he fought Shane, so I guess he was supposed to beat him.

Ultimately this is why poster that hate Floyd post he has no great wins, there was never anyone better than him during his era to beat.

Comment

Hughie Fury hadn't fought competitively in 17 months before making Parker look garbage.

Edit: Only wins....don't mind me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  Ok, well I have to take your word for it. Mayweather didn't make the fight harder to make. He made the fight, he won the fight. If you honestly felt he would win, no beef. If you picked shane and said floyd was scared etc etc, own up to it and give Floyd credit for defeating him.

That is simply not true. You often post that Floyd fans do this and other stuff. Whenever I ask you to show where, you don't respond. Sort of the same thing Larry does to you, according to the thread you made that got deleted.

I get you don't like Floyd or his fans, but revising history to make your argument more valid is not right and lacks integrity. We have enough of that on NSB and its why the board has gone to shit.

Floyd was the best in the world when he fought Shane, so I guess he was supposed to beat him.

Ultimately this is why poster that hate Floyd post he has no great wins, there was never anyone better than him during his era to beat.
                  I don't have time to go digging up old threads or stuff on different social media pages that show Floyd fans saying crazy stuff. Just open them and you can see.

I guess technically Pacquaio was considered the best in the world when Floyd fought Shane if we are going by BWAA, The Ring and ESPN. He remained there until Marquez knocked him off in November, 2011 (when he schooled him and got robbed). I don't care to get into why that fight didn't happen (When Pacquaio was still Pacquaio), but it didn't and that's a fact.

Last part is not entirely true. Robinson was the best of his or any time and he posted great wins over great fighters in their prime despite opponents not being as good as him. Same for Leonard, for example and many other fighters perceived to be the best of their time.
                  Last edited by chrisJS; 11-21-2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Canelo - Kirkland (15 months)
                    Canelo - Mosley (2 days from 12 months) Mosley was 40 at the time

Comment

Working...
                    X