No announcement yet.

Sullivan Barrera Turned Down Offer To Fight Sergey Kovalev, per Mike Coppinger

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post

Bull**** offer. Kovalev wanted a rematch clause and Barrera wouldn't even get a pay bump in the rematch.
    Both are main events fighters no? They are not a top tier promoter in terms of cash. But people need to stop saying certain fighters are ducking. Do fighters duck yes but every situation is not the same. They made a offer he said no and gave his reasons. Theres not much more to it except its a business decision on his part.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
      Both are main events fighters no? They are not a top tier promoter in terms of cash. But people need to stop saying certain fighters are ducking. Do fighters duck yes but every situation is not the same. They made a offer he said no and gave his reasons. Theres not much more to it except its a business decision on his part.
      Kovalev demanding rematch clauses like he's some superstar. He's a nobody now he hasn't got any titles. Ridiculous demand.

Comment

Kovalev demanding rematch clauses like he's some superstar. He's a nobody now he hasn't got any titles. Ridiculous demand.
        While I understand your point, I wouldn't go as far as saying that he is now a nobody but I'm pretty sure Kovalev feels like the clear a-side compared to Barrera.

As for Barrera, I understand his point of view but while no titles are involved, he is no Ward so a win over Kovalev would still look pretty nice on his resume...especially for 400k. I mean the Charlos have been getting 250ish lately (before Jermall moved up) to defend their titles on undercards. I wonder how they feel when they see a guy like Oscar Valdez getting 400K as a main event last week?

Comment

Originally posted by Afi23 View Post
          While I understand your point, I wouldn't go as far as saying that he is now a nobody but I'm pretty sure Kovalev feels like the clear a-side compared to Barrera.

As for Barrera, I understand his point of view but while no titles are involved, he is no Ward so a win over Kovalev would still look pretty nice on his resume...especially for 400k. I mean the Charlos have been getting 250ish lately (before Jermall moved up) to defend their titles on undercards. I wonder how they feel when they see a guy like Oscar Valdez getting 400K as a main event last week?
          Barrera is highly ranked top 5 on all the orgs rankings. He'll be getting a title shot soon and rematch clauses will likely get in the way. If there was no rematch clause i believe Barrera should have taken it.

Funny thing is that card last week drew around the same viewers as Lomachenko did, Lomachenko got paid 750k. Boxing just isn't fair.

Barrera was going to only get $30k to fight Beterbiev and people are saying he ducked Beterbiev for turning it down.

Barrera needs a new promoter Main Events don't give a **** about him.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
            $400k is good money for a fighter of Barrera's stature. This isn't the first time Barrera has turned a fight down. He is more bark than bite. I doubt that his next three purses total higher than $400k unless he changes his mind on facing Kovalev
            I'm just waiting for the threads bashing Kovalev for the low ball offer. Like the threads that bashed Ward cause they didn't want to pay Barrera half a mil. I know people on here aren't consistent though

Comment

I keep reading that Bivol is ducking Barrera yet Barrera keeps getting defended for clearly ducking Beterbiev and kovalev?

He turned down 400k to try to fight bivol, a prospect for less money. ok then

Comment

Barrera is highly ranked top 5 on all the orgs rankings. He'll be getting a title shot soon and rematch clauses will likely get in the way. If there was no rematch clause i believe Barrera should have taken it.

Funny thing is that card last week drew around the same viewers as Lomachenko did, Lomachenko got paid 750k. Boxing just isn't fair.

Barrera was going to only get $30k to fight Beterbiev and people are saying he ducked Beterbiev for turning it down.

Barrera needs a new promoter Main Events don't give a **** about him.
                Yeah, Loma have been getting high six figure purses for "easy" fights lately. One thing we can say about Arum: once you make it to the top of his roster, he takes care of you (except for Manny who could of arguably made more once he reached the pinnacle of the sport)

Comment

Is Barrera himself good enough?

So he didn't take this fight because of an eliminator? Isn't that the same eliminator that he said he was over looked for by the WBA?

Comment

Pretty much...... But it looked like he has missed out on the title fight he was hoping for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                      So they offered him less than when he fought Ward, for no title, and a rematch clause in there that he'd make the same money on? I see why he turned it down

Comment

Working...
                      X