Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Pacquiao vs Mayweather in 2010 have been the equivalent of Ward vs. Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Pacquiao vs Mayweather in 2010 have been the equivalent of Ward vs. Kovalev?

Do you think the fight would have been similar to what happened with Ward vs. Kovalev where it was extremely close where the decision could have went either way or do you think Mayweather would have still beat Pacquiao decisively?

Any thoughts?

Comment

The other guys was already knocked out, changed his fighting style forever, and five years passed his prime. But if it was a Pacquiao 2009 - 2010 ten that fought Mayweather it was 50/50 but we can only speculate, and also Mayweather was Far bigger than Pacquiao, we have to consider size advantage.

Comment

I think it's feasible. Manny was highly aggressive, along with fearless, and a little reckless, and would have gone after it. I could see him dropping Mayweather early, only to have Floyd pick up rounds afterward. Then, everyone throwing a tantrum at Floyd winning (which I probably would have at the time).
        High-level fights are so hard to predict though.

Comment

Hard to say tbh as they both have different styles and Manny is a southpaw. I'm assuming you are comparing Ward to Mayweather and Kovalev to Pacquiao. Mayweather is a more elusive fighter than Ward and better defensively. Pacquiao is faster than Kovalev and more awkward which would work to Pacquiao's advantage over Mayweather. The difference between Pacquiao and Kovalev is also Kovalev's jab. Manny doesn't have a jab like that. Kovalev hurts you with his jab where as Manny uses it as a range finder. If I had to guess, I'd say it be the total opposite where Mayweather would win the majority of the first 6 rounds and Manny finding his rhythm and storming back with a possible knockdown in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stark View Post
            Hard to say tbh as they both have different styles and Manny is a southpaw. I'm assuming you are comparing Ward to Mayweather and Kovalev to Pacquiao. Mayweather is a more elusive fighter than Ward and better defensively. Pacquiao is faster than Kovalev and more awkward which would work to Pacquiao's advantage over Mayweather. The difference between Pacquiao and Kovalev is also Kovalev's jab. Manny doesn't have a jab like that. Kovalev hurts you with his jab where as Manny uses it as a range finder. If I had to guess, I'd say it be the total opposite where Mayweather would win the majority of the first 6 rounds and Manny finding his rhythm and storming back with a possible knockdown in between.
            Manny with no jab but is a range finder counterfeits to how manny slips the jab and works on the inside.

Comment

No. Floyd is light years ahead of Ward. Always has been.

Can u imagine floyd being wobbled by jabs, put down in 2nd, holding and lifting opponents leg to desperate attempt to clinch.

yeah, p2p...

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
                Manny with no jab but is a range finder counterfeits to how manny slips the jab and works on the inside.
                Yes. Manny being the more athletic fighter than Kovalev would counter and work on the inside to win fights. Now if you are talking about actual comparisons between Kovalev and Pacquiao, they are totally different fighters. If you are comparing these two fights, they are some similarities but not by much.

Comment

I think Manny would have walked or jumped into some very good shots , in 2010 he would have come at Floyd more and not be so cautious and that would have suited Mayweather to a T .

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stark View Post
                    Yes. Manny being the more athletic fighter than Kovalev would counter and work on the inside to win fights. Now if you are talking about actual comparisons between Kovalev and Pacquiao, they are totally different fighters. If you are comparing these two fights, they are some similarities but not by much.
                    If we compare their career in 2006 - 2010 to KOVS 2013 - 2016 then they had a similar career in terms of domination, but fighting style it is completely different. Kovalev is a long range fighter that destroys opponent who are trying to close in on him or him destroying opponents on closing them in at the end of his punches and Pacquiao is a mid range fighter to inside fighter that is quick in the pocket that relied on making people miss by slipping the jab then flurrying on the inside and mid range.

Comment

Working...
                    X