Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Mike Tyson one of the most overrated fighters ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Mike Tyson one of the most overrated fighters ever?

Don't get me wrong, I love Tyson, he's the face of boxing right now for me, a charismatic person.

I appreciate that he's the fighter who made pro boxing popular among youth in Russia in 90's (this is where I'm from). People wouldn't care that much about the sport over here if it wasn't for him

Some dog owners name their pit bulls after Tyson. I had a friend and he's called Tyson because he loves ****ing people up. Tyson has that kind of fame that went over American borders. Even Pacquiao and Mayweather never had that kind of international fame when you think about it. When you ask a casual person about some boxers, Tyson is always the second name that gets mentioned after Ali. I don't know how it is in America, but that's how it is over here. Ali, Tyson, maybe Roy Jones and that's it, they barely know any other names

And I get that he was famous not because of his resume but because of the manner how he was winning fights. Definitely one of the most entertaining fighters of all time. But when you look at his resume you start thinking that all this hype isn't justified. Holyfield and Lewis were much better and they were coming from the same generation of heavyweights. I made this thread because I got tired arguing with casuals when I say that Tyson is not even top 5 heavyweight of all time

Man, you can even make an argument for Golovkin's resume being better and I'm not hating on Tyson, I have a lot of respect for him
    Last edited by g27region; 05-25-2017, 07:51 AM.

Mike Tyson is a piece of ****. Anthony Joshua probably already has a better win and he to sucks.

Comment

Not during 1985 to 1989 I'd say he beats any heavyweight in History . Tyson had a weak mind once Cus died and Rooney out as trainer he was never the same no discipline

Comment

It's possible to be great AND overrated. Most casuals have Tyson in their Top 5 P4P, which is overrating him. However, he was still a great fighter.
        charliepaerker charliepaerker likes this.

Comment

Depends what you call him overrated. Top 5 heavyweights ever? Definitely not Top 10? Maybe, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
            Don't get me wrong, I love Tyson, he's the face of boxing right now for me, a charismatic person.

I appreciate that he's the fighter who made pro boxing popular among youth in Russia in 90's (this is where I'm from). People wouldn't care that much about the sport over here if it wasn't for him

Some dog owners name their pit bulls after Tyson. I had a friend and he's called Tyson because he loves ****ing people up. Tyson has that kind of fame that went over American borders. Even Pacquiao and Mayweather never had that kind of international fame when you think about it. When you ask a casual person about some boxers, Tyson is always the second name that gets mentioned after Ali. I don't know how it is in America, but that's how it is over here. Ali, Tyson, maybe Roy Jones and that's it, they barely know any other names

And I get that he was famous not because of his resume but because of the manner how he was winning fights. Definitely one of the most entertaining fighters of all time. But when you look at his resume you start thinking that all this hype isn't justified. Holyfield and Lewis were much better and they were coming from the same generation of heavyweights. I made this thread because I got tired arguing with casuals when I say that Tyson is not even top 5 heavyweight of all time

Man, you can even make an argument for Golovkin's resume being better and I'm not hating on Tyson, I have a lot of respect for him
            People forget what Mike did to Michael Spinks. Mike lost against the best of the best.

Wish him and Riddick Bowe got it on.

Comment

I agree, Tyson was iconic and a beast but not in the top 5 HW's of all time. Annoys me when people say he was out of his prime within 4 years of starting his career too. It's largely because he fought better opposition.
              charliepaerker charliepaerker likes this.

Comment

Tyson was a very good heavyweight come but I would not have him anywhere above the top 10. Around number 10 is pretty much where I think he did belong

Comment

Mike Tyson may not be a Top 5 HW but he was once one of the most feared man in boxing. Boxers like Golovkin claim people didn't want to fight him. Mike Tyson had grown men walking in the ring with fear in their eyes. That was not overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                    Mike Tyson may not be a Top 5 HW but he was once one of the most feared man in boxing. Boxers like Golovkin claim people didn't want to fight him. Mike Tyson had grown men walking in the ring with fear in their eyes. That was not overrated.
                    You don't get the point. Nobody is saying that Tyson is a bad fighter or that he never had the potential. I'm saying that obsession with Tyson from casuals is getting on nerves sometimes. They say he's the BEST fighter EVER after Ali.

Some casual fan got emotional when I've told him Tyson's resume isn't all that. I've told him Lennox Lewis, Holyfield has better resumes, and there's a lot of other fighters from other divisions with a far superior resumes....and he was like What you've been smoking, with the expression like I've said some dumbest **** he ever heard
                    Last edited by g27region; 05-25-2017, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X