New Freddy Roach Interview: "he doesn’t like needles"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Freddy Roach Interview: "he doesn’t like needles"

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/g...d-must-happen/

Freddie Roach has spoken to Telegraph Sport in depth about his exasperation in dealings behind the scenes in getting the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight to come to fruition. Roach told me: “The bottom line is that we don’t really need him, Manny could have two more fights, in between go to the election in the Philippines, make another 20 million US dollars, and retire. We really don’t need Mayweather. There are easier fights out there for Manny.”

But in reality, Roach, and Pacquiao, insisted to me that they want this fight because the Filipino wants the ultimate test, which Mayweather would provide. “Look, this is a fight the world wants to see, I want to see, Manny wants to see, and it would be a real shame for boxing fans, and casual sports fans, all over the world, if it does not happen. I have been through this before – and I hope we come out the other end with a positive from both sides.”

Roach also revealed that Pacquiao and he had planned to train exclusively in LA for the Mayweather fight, originally slated for March 13, having decided to forego the portion of the training camp in The Philippines., held last time at Baguio City. “There are so many pressures on him when he trains there, because of the demands on him from all quarters. We had put together the idea of training exclusively here at the Wild Card.”

“Manny got the green light over his busted eardrum [sustained in his victory over Miguel Cotto last November], and we had planned an early January press conference and then we were going straight into training camp.”

Roach also told Telegraph Sport that the insinuations over PEDs levelled at Pacquiao were hurtful – and believes they were a systematic ploy from Mayweather and his adviser Leonard Ellerbe: “It’s kind of a shame in today’s society that people are always looking for a negative. Why can’t Paulie Malignaggi and Floyd Mayweather just say Manny’s a good fighter, because that’s all he is…he’s a good fighter. He’s the most honest guy I’ve known, he doesn’t like taking anything. He has never taken drugs. I know him really well. I’ve been with him and around him since 2001. I have problems getting him to take vitamins, and he doesn’t like needles. I know it’s out there, and people are saying ‘why wouldn’t he take a blood test, and they think we’re hiding something. He does not react well to having blood taken. He’s weak for three days, afterwards. Some people pass out after blood being taken. Maybe it’s not physical, but it bothers him mentally. We can’t have that five days or three days out from the fight. [With calls for random blood tests from Mayweather right up to the day before the fight]. I don’t want to send my fighter in there feeling weak mentally or physically, so we would not agree to that.”

“Ellerbe says he wants a level playing fields. Ok, we’ll tie one of Manny’s hands behind his back,” joked Roach, now preparing Pacquiao to face Ghanaian Joshua Clottey instead on March 13, in Arlington, Texas, at the NFL home of the Cowboys.

“I think that was their ploy all along, to get under our skin. Who is Mayweather ? He’s just the opponent, not the champion. If this fight doesn’t happen, these two guys will be known as the fighters who avoided each other, and did not make it happen. In my view, it has to happen for the sake of boxing. It simply has to happen.”

He doesn't like needles, but likes to get tattoos.

Comment

Do you want me to post the Arum interview from the same day when he says thats not true. He says Pac has no fear of needles, he thinks it will make him weak if they take blood

Comment

I don't know why he had to mention the needles, as the rest of the bolded seems like a legitimate reason upon why he doesn't want blood taken close to the fight. I think it's pretty obvious that Pac doesn't mind needles at all, but who knows why he won't take the tests.

I just wish he would agree to them and get it over a done with. Too much drama for one fight.

Edit: It also sounds like Roach is trying to throw out as many reasons/excuses as possible. Well that's what it sounds like it to me. The mentally weak reason sounds legit, but jsut say that one instead of hundreds.
        Last edited by mcdoodledoo; 01-23-2010, 06:55 PM.

Comment

i dont know what to believe out of the roach, pac, and arum anymore. they all have diffferent stories or change them.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
            Do you want me to post the Arum interview from the same day when he says thats not true. He says Pac has no fear of needles, he thinks it will make him weak if they take blood
            please do!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zarco View Post
              i dont know what to believe out of the roach, pac, and arum anymore. they all have diffferent stories or change them.

Comment

If this is new... WOWOWOWOWOW.

The interview a few days ago he said it had nothing to do with needles.... Am I wrong about that?

Comment

Sigh, he reiterated that Pacquiao doesn't like his blood drawn in the same interview.

Comment

Pac, Arum, and Roach are all pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                    X