Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG heading to DAZN, looks a lot like HBO’s roster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a big advocate from the beginning of Hearn not trying to lock these guys into three fight deals or anything, but rather do one offs and PROVE the DAZN concept. Show them this works and they will get paid great. That's how you build a good reputation among the fighters. No one was going to bite on a three fight deal with a brand new streaming service. I mean Canelo changes things because he will bring in subscribers, but he was after PBC fighters before Canelo made his way to DAZN.

Basically, Hearn underestimated the pay of PBC fighters and overestimated his promotional value stateside. As seen with Jacobs and the shows he has put on, this is a totally different market. Quite frankly, hard to be a draw here.

Comment

Originally posted by phr0zen2 View Post
      Mike Coppinger just broke the news GGG is about to sign to DAZN. With this news HBO’s fighter and promoter collection is looking like the spitting image of HBO give or take Anthony Joshua, Kovalev and Jessie Vargas. One thing missing though, millions of subscribers who might tune in casually, how is this good for American boxing and isn’t this just the status quo with the network rivalries apart from one is a niche network?
      How is it good? I don't know, it's a cheap subscription, with way more boxing than hbo that you can use to either stream or catch up on previous fights from. How's it not good? The sport has always been fragmented in terms of networks showing fights. HBO leaving leaves an empty slot for DAZN to jump in.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
        LOL "We're giving you exclusive Fridays Tom"

lmaaaooooo

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
          EXACTLY. If you an american fighter you choose to sign with PBC, Golden Boy, Top Rank way before you sign with a UK promoter with no track record of success promoting on US soil. And if you simply want to get DAZN money then you go with Golden Boy. The one ACE Hearn had was when he was the so called exclusive promoter for DAZN. And still top fighters didn't bite. Now that exclusivity on DAZN no longer exists what is the point of signing with Hearn?
          Because he has more dates.

Remember, this was always Hearn's main selling point: don't be inactive on Showtime, be active on DAZN and know your fight dates way in advance.

Of course people can get some dates from GBP, but they don't have as many as Matchroom. 16 to 8, if I recall.

Comment

Mike Coppinger just broke the news GGG is about to sign to DAZN. With this news HBO’s fighter and promoter collection is looking like the spitting image of HBO give or take Anthony Joshua, Kovalev and Jessie Vargas. One thing missing though, millions of subscribers who might tune in casually, how is this good for American boxing and isn’t this just the status quo with the network rivalries apart from one is a niche network?
            You forgot the WBSS!

Also all the other British fighters like Khan, Brook, Whyte and Bellew.

Comment

Originally posted by rolshans View Post
              Because he has more dates.

Remember, this was always Hearn's main selling point: don't be inactive on Showtime, be active on DAZN and know your fight dates way in advance.

Of course people can get some dates from GBP, but they don't have as many as Matchroom. 16 to 8, if I recall.
              I dont think he really has a limit on dates, hes also said in an interview he can always go upstairs and get more cash if the ball starts rolling. Its not even a thing cutting Hearn's budget and dates. Doesnt seem like DAZN give a **** about cash, lol.

All this talk of budgets dont really matter anymore, those arguements were back when the FOX and Showtime deals were announced. Now its goddamn clear who has the biggest budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
                How is it good? I don't know, it's a cheap subscription, with way more boxing than hbo that you can use to either stream or catch up on previous fights from. How's it not good? The sport has always been fragmented in terms of networks showing fights. HBO leaving leaves an empty slot for DAZN to jump in.
                Boxing needs to grow and attract more fans, DAZN is good for us boxing fans who will follow boxing wherever it goes but for boxing to grow and get more eyes on it I don’t think a new app is going to help with only boxing on it.

Comment

Boxing needs to grow and attract more fans, DAZN is good for us boxing fans who will follow boxing wherever it goes but for boxing to grow and get more eyes on it I don’t think a new app is going to help with only boxing on it.
                  As they get more sports, as they've gotten in other countries, it will be incredible.

Even right now, I hear a ton of stories about MMA fans becoming fans of boxing through DAZN. And it's all thanks to marketing within the platform.

For example, up in Canada we have NFL Sunday Ticket on DAZN and, instead of regular commercial breaks, they advertised the AJ-Povetkin fight and other events that were upcoming.

Comment

Originally posted by rolshans View Post
                    As they get more sports, as they've gotten in other countries, it will be incredible.

Even right now, I hear a ton of stories about MMA fans becoming fans of boxing through DAZN. And it's all thanks to marketing within the platform.

For example, up in Canada we have NFL Sunday Ticket on DAZN and, instead of regular commercial breaks, they advertised the AJ-Povetkin fight and other events that were upcoming.
                    Well for example the UFC just signed with ESPN, NBA has a network deal until 2023 and the NFL 2022 so not long to wait then for all these sports?! I don’t think it’s good for boxing to be tucked away on a new app when it should be attracting new audiences.

Comment

• Originally posted by phr0zen2 View Post
                      I don't understand where this funding is coming from. It just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X