Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you guys work a commission only job?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spytactics View Post
    Sales requires a dynamic personality and hunger to make lots of money. It is alot of work but if you are the right guy for the job, the sky is the limit. I know guys who have retired after 10 years in the business.
    really what kind of sales and what kind of numbers were they pulling?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
      So I finally got a job offer after like 20 interviews of them saying i'm overqualified the problem is its commission based only!

I never worked a commission based only job before. I did dabble in real estate but that was pretty much good investments and i was able to flip those properties real quick like in a year or two at most and I was working my property management job anyway so that doesn't count.

I'm just concerned that it will be like I'm still unemployed until i start making some big sales right? i checked online and it says some top sales are making good money but I guess it all depends on your territory?

I'm not too thrilled about accepting this offer so I might just keep interviewing in the mean time and try to stall this guy's offer till he says he can't hold it any longer?

Do any of you work only commission based jobs with no salary? how is it? what do you do? thanks
      Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
      its an electronics company from japan but theres about 10 corporate offices alone in the so cal region.

the average sales reps make about 60k the top guys make 280k to 450K.

The recruited me pretty hard cause of my property management experiences and sales so they know im used to driving all around my territory already i guess?

I wanted to work within 10miles of my crib but these guys are literally the only offer i got so far after 20 interviews of everyone saying im over qualified!
      I've done it. I was a media rep for about 15 years and also did some publishing projects on my own. I was also sales mgr for a watch manufacturer. Straight commission sales jobs suck. The stress and insecurity of trying to make it can kill you.

Here's the thing to remember when they start talking about incomes of average and top sales people...new sales people don't fall into the category of average or the top. They fall into the group of people who have only a slim chance of making it. They will generate some new business but not enough of it to survive. When they leave those few accounts that they managed to accumulate will be gobble up by the established fat cat sales people...while new positions will be filled with people who don't have much of a chance of survival either...the cycle repeats over and over again. Why don't they have much chance of survival? Well because almost every possible account to sell to is already somebody's account. It's not like tons of new electronics stores open up every day.

Unless they are giving you an established active account list that is generating income...it will be very hard. If they are then I would want to see it and evaluate it. If they are offering an account list which is really what amounts to a rejection list...retailers who have said no to the company because they don't like the product...then it's worthless. You will have a sales manger who will be trying to make you feel your ass is on the line ever second of the day...he knows you will be gone soon regardless so doesn't give a rats ass that he is burning you out...he just wants to make as much off you before that happens. It's a tough way to make a living and almost impossible to do and that's the truth. Personally I'd rather suck farts out of dirty underwear for a living.

I found if you are going to live like that you might as well start up something for yourself where at least your profit will exceed your rate of commission otherwise (maybe triple the rate)...so that it is easier to make money at what you are doing. My 1st job as a media rep was with a very old and established daily newspaper...that was mostly salaried and I did it over a decade. I left and traveled for a couple of years and when I came back sales became a much tougher job because I never got hired into that type of sweet situation...those today especially are far and few between. I wouldn't do it unless I was guaranteed security today. Real estate sales is different of course...and in a hot/high priced market like Vancouver you can do well...but it would takes time and they have made the licensing requirements very hard to keep people out of it...kind of the way unions protect jobs for there own. I would be trying to get back into property management on any level if I were in your position. Maybe you should lie about your qualifications...tell them your a high school drop out and have been chronically unemployed all your life.
      Last edited by jaded; 07-03-2014, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Already have and made a shit ton of money in the process. Best type of payment in the world if you are really good at your job. Otherwise, its a nightmare.

Comment

Working...
        X