No announcement yet.

Bare Knuckle Fight: round by round report 1879

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare Knuckle Fight: round by round report 1879

eye gouging; nose biting, body slams . . . men getting carried to their conrners

I never before ran across a news report that clocked the round times; most lasted less than a minute.

--- Bunch of English reports back in the day.

Bob Mee wrote a stellar bare Knucks history of this period where we can see all the major styles and prototypes of today in existence.

Comment

Brutal. "One could hear his bones crack"

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
        eye gouging; nose biting, body slams . . . men getting carried to their conrners

I never before ran across a news report that clocked the round times; most lasted less than a minute.

Think of London Ring Rules (bare knuckle) as MMA without the ground-game. Elbows were allowed. Palm strikes were definitely allowed. There was stand-up wrestling as well.

But once you went down the round was over. (Maybe, when you took your opponent down and your forearm might accidentally hit him a few times one the ground before getting up).

After your opponent went down there was an agreed upon amount of time (usually 30 seconds) until your opponent had to meet you in the center of the ring to start the next round,

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
          Brutal. "One could hear his bones crack"
          Damn right, makes me cringe a bit.

Comment

Notice how short the rounds were, seconds not minutes.

That's how they were able to fight hundreds of rounds at times.

Comment

I'm shocked that Bare Knuckle is making such a big comeback right now.

Comment

--- where, in Wyoming?

Bobby Gunn fightin' underground?

Guaranteed a proper LPRR match format could break the UFC, but getting broadly sanctioned would take deep pockets and patience.

Comment

What I like best is that they actually threw their hats in the ring; one of them was wearing a beaver pelt.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    --- where, in Wyoming?

Bobby Gunn fightin' underground?

Guaranteed a proper LPRR match format could break the UFC, but getting broadly sanctioned would take deep pockets and patience.
                    That company is pumping a lot of money, hoping the other states follow

Comment

Working...
                    X