No announcement yet.

Guns vs. Drugs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [REAL TALK] Guns vs. Drugs

I don't think it should be as easy as it is to purchase guns without a thorough background check which includes a mental health check (if you're taking crazy meds you shouldn't be armed), and the applicant has to have a certain amount of hours being trained to use the guns he/she is purchasing and pass a proficiency/qualification test getting a certain amount of bullets on target. Personally, I don't see why anyone should own bump stocks, 30+ round magazines, or weapons that can be fired on fully automatic.

That said, a proficient shooter can do just as much killing with a Glock 40 cal. (Aurora CO shooter--killed 12 injured 70), or a 7-round pump action shotgun and a sling bag full of shells. He/she could inflict serious casualties with a 5-round snub nosed .38 and a fanny pack full of speed loaders if he's practiced enough. In China and Japan, there were attacks where dozens of victims were killed by a knife wielding assailant.

But, what is going on here is more of a cultural attack on gun owners. The media and Democrats look to gun owners in America as a significant voting demographic for Republicans. They want to weaken or eliminate that demographic by eliminating their guns. Of course, Democrats had an opportunity to do just that when they had the White House, Senate and House of Reps for two years during Obama's presidency, and they did nothing! So how serious are they about gun legislation when the only time you hear from them is when there is a mass shooting that they can exploit? Again, I reach back to inner city gun violence as a prime example of the deafening silence by the left when it comes to guns. It's not apples and oranges.

I'm going to drop a statistic on you...from 2014 - 2017 56,000 Americans were killed by guns (over the course of four years). In 2016 (just one year), 64,000 Americans died of opiate addiction. But supposedly, drugs are a "victimless" choice people make because it only harms the user. Which couldn't be more wrong.

The NRA lobbies for Republicans and about 12% of their money to Democrats as well, Big Pharma lobbies heavily for Democrats and Republicans...who has more blood on their hands? NRA or Big Pharma?

Approx 15K gun deaths to 60K drug deaths annually. Where is the outrage on CNN, MSNBC, FOX, NYT, WAPO over Big Pharma? Where is the 24/7 news coverage on an epidemic that has killed more Americans in one year than the war in Vietnam in ten years?

My issue with this argument is...so what.

A lot of people being killed by guns don't wanna be killed by guns or have anything to do with guns.

A lot of people being killed by drugs are f#ck ups who are making a personal choice that directly results in their own deaths.

I agree both are problems in the US & need to be fixed, but there are extremely different problems & they result in extremely different types of people dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      My issue with this argument is...so what.

A lot of people being killed by guns don't wanna be killed by guns or have anything to do with guns.

A lot of people being killed by drugs are f#ck ups who are making a personal choice that directly results in their own deaths.

I agree both are problems in the US & need to be fixed, but there are extremely different problems & they result in extremely different types of people dying.
      Most of the lives ruined by drugs are the lives of abused or neglected children/relatives of the users.

If it was just people getting addicted and dying quite frankly I'd say legalize it all for the good of natural selection. But that isn't reality. We've all known someone who is ****ed up for life because their parent was a junkie.

Not to mention they will become a colossal obstacle taking up impossibly disproportionate resources as we attempt to move towards universal health care.

Comment

Originally posted by //// View Post
        Not to mention they will become a colossal obstacle taking up impossibly disproportionate resources as we attempt to move towards universal health care.
        Sh^t than we should start with cheeseburgers not drugs. Cheeseburgers & bad food choices are costing us more money then drugs. And those kids suffer too & die younger cuz they don't know whats up with food choices.

But children are going to suffer via their parents bad choices w/e you do. You can't really stop that unless you start taking everyone's kids or making a massive education movement on "How to Live" or something. And sh^t plenty of people would still go against it.

Comment

GGG vs Canelo is the real issue at hand

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            I don't think it should be as easy as it is to purchase guns without a thorough background check which includes a mental health check (if you're taking crazy meds you shouldn't be armed), and the applicant has to have a certain amount of hours being trained to use the guns he/she is purchasing and pass a proficiency/qualification test getting a certain amount of bullets on target. Personally, I don't see why anyone should own bump stocks, 30+ round magazines, or weapons that can be fired on fully automatic.

That said, a proficient shooter can do just as much killing with a Glock 40 cal. (Aurora CO shooter--killed 12 injured 70), or a 7-round pump action shotgun and a sling bag full of shells. He/she could inflict serious casualties with a 5-round snub nosed .38 and a fanny pack full of speed loaders if he's practiced enough. In China and Japan, there were attacks where dozens of victims were killed by a knife wielding assailant.

But, what is going on here is more of a cultural attack on gun owners. The media and Democrats look to gun owners in America as a significant voting demographic for Republicans. They want to weaken or eliminate that demographic by eliminating their guns. Of course, Democrats had an opportunity to do just that when they had the White House, Senate and House of Reps for two years during Obama's presidency, and they did nothing! So how serious are they about gun legislation when the only time you hear from them is when there is a mass shooting that they can exploit? Again, I reach back to inner city gun violence as a prime example of the deafening silence by the left when it comes to guns. It's not apples and oranges.

I'm going to drop a statistic on you...from 2014 - 2017 56,000 Americans were killed by guns (over the course of four years). In 2016 (just one year), 64,000 Americans died of opiate addiction. But supposedly, drugs are a "victimless" choice people make because it only harms the user. Which couldn't be more wrong.

The NRA lobbies for Republicans and about 12% of their money to Democrats as well, Big Pharma lobbies heavily for Democrats and Republicans...who has more blood on their hands? NRA or Big Pharma?

Approx 15K gun deaths to 60K drug deaths annually. Where is the outrage on CNN, MSNBC, FOX, NYT, WAPO over Big Pharma? Where is the 24/7 news coverage on an epidemic that has killed more Americans in one year than the war in Vietnam in ten years?
            I think Panda summed up my personal feelings in his initial response.

Good topic Dempsey. 2 things; the border wall will put a big damper on drug use in the USA. Mexico is all F'ed up right now just with the thought of the wall. The cartels r onto other organized crimes and getting downright desperate to find some kinda racket.

Another, current politicians havent touched this topic lately but we need prison reform. There should b 5 types of Federal prisons/reformatories; drugs, sex crimes, violent offenders, immigration, & psychiatric. Psychiatric & drug reformatories should be self and/or Court recommended. Any1 admitted to a psychiatric reformatory should give their gun ownership rights upon admittance/acceptance. We should build a federal prison in the border wall, itd really make deportations much more efficient. Sex offenders should be isolated & treated, somewhere in like Alaska away from everything. Then just leave violent offenders, where they r. Freeing up cell space by classifying offenders would benefit inmate & correctional staff safety.

Anyways, back to drugs. Once the walls built, drug prices will rise & if treatment was more available than a cell is, some may actually change. Better than locking a junkie kid up with some gang banging manipulator.
            Last edited by WarVeteranO01; 02-22-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I think if 18 years old you can buy a gun. Thats it.

How you use it is up to you and thats it.

Hand out life sentences to anyone who abuses the right. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

Stop ducking travestyny you little coward

Comment

Next time someone goes on an opiate killing spree and forces people to take overdoses maybe people will take notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                    Stop ducking travestyny you little coward
                    Are you two a couple now? You show up on every thread together. We will have to give you a super-couple name like Branjelina. We will call you guys Travista.

Comment

Working...
                    X