Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 10-14-2016, 08:06 PM #21
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 11,170.90
Total Points: 15,646.33
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

Doesn't matter, because if you're the big star, you can make any fight happen. I didn't say Cottto and Mosley didn't do some ducking as well, but it still hurts his legacy that those fights didn't happen sooner. And I don't hate Mayweather at all, just feel his resume is lacking.
Anthony342 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-14-2016, 08:19 PM #22
No More UK Stoppages

Quoted: 10207 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 36,413.04
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&amp;w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 
To wipe that ass lol - BigZ44 Good thread and comments - maracho A truce - lfc19titles A truce - lfc19titles 

That's just it, Floyd wasn't a big star back then. That's why he was avoided.

Even Lampley and Roy Jones say in the video that he was too high risk and low reward. He didn't become the "Money" Mayweather cash cow until after he accepted the low end of a 70-30 split to get De La Hoya in the ring.
ShoulderRoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:42 PM #23
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
rightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,010.03
Total Points: 8,481.29

Benny Leonard was a genius in the ring. It would have been kinda neat to see him become a trainer later in life. I understand the era he fought in was considered very high as far as lightweights go. I just cannot consider him better than Robinson at his peak or some others I will not mention. He just was not blessed with the physical gift's combined with skill like Ray Robinson was.
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:43 PM #24
chuzando a tu vieja

Quoted: 4615 Post(s)
LoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond reputeLoadedWraps has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,025.25
Total Points: 41,887.82
For May 3rd to celebrate Mayweather's FIRST LOSS!! - Golovkin The LOADED medal!!! A special medal given to LoadedWraps for catching bodies on a daily basis. 1/1 SPECIAL EDITION. - Golovkin Red and Gold is my blood - -jose- A beer for my Comrad! - DonMega Toy my friend!One week  from history! - fundicao 
Guerra Cotto...PRPP..Tu Sabe.. - PRPOWERPUNCHES War Fury - valero Tyson Fury bout to give Wladimir the ol' Pizza Face - Thurman Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. War Fury! - StudentOfDaGame 
Long live the king lol - HughJass No Message - anthonydavid11 that sig pic tho.. - Santa_ LoadedWraps that dude - Mike D Cheers brother! - Bombs Away! 
No Message - anthonydavid11 You're still one of my favorite posters bruh...even when we disagree - Mike D Something to drink during Kovalev-Ward! - mathed 2017 MVP - Mike D !!!! WAR SRISAKET !!!! - badboyz08 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - LoadedWraps Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - punchr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old LefHook View Post
I call them pure boxers myself. They must have a deep medicine bag of traditional skills at their disposal. High athleticism helps. Floyd fits right in with guys like Mike Gibbons, Benny Leonard, Gene Tunney, Sweetpea Whitaker, Willie Pep, Wilfred Benitez and a few others.

Notably Ali, Leonard and Jones, three of the greatest fighters ever, are absent from this list. They relied mostly on supreme natural athleticism, and did not have a deep bag of traditional boxing skills. Once their reflexes were gone they were easy meat.

Mayweather is not one of the greatest fighters ever, in my view, because of the way he consistently conducted his career, but he is definitely one of the greatest pure boxers--he showed me enough to deserve that. The only key to being a great fighter is taking the monster challenges and winning them. Sometimes even being in them elevates your status. Mayweather lacks precisely those monster matches in his career where people thought he might get killed and he emerges victorious. People in their day actually thought SRL and Holyfield could lose their lives. Mayweather does not have that, but he could have. He avoided the thing that makes great boxers into great all time fighters. That is my view on it.
Very well said. Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post.
LoadedWraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:41 AM #25
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 8682 Post(s)
Sugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020.15
Total Points: 40,290.56
a truly ATG poster - here's an apple to sustain that brain power - jas It's Easter time, here's an Easter Egg for being the most knowledgeable poster bar none - jas Always spitting out the truth. - Augustane You made some good and fair points for Pac Algieri matchup - hectari couldnt green, but excellent post on violent crime punishment - sugarsmosley 
appreciate the green - -jose- cheers - Beercules beer's on me bro - Mike D Well said - -jose- racist coward - boxingsupreme87 
Real talk - jas war sugar - Mike D No Message - mathed Have some popcorn my brotha! - Mighty_Windir Suck my BBC, yall will lose then never see a repurblican win again.,, - STAX ON DECK 
For think'n you're relevant ! LOL ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Good posts - ΣNΣMY One of the best posters here - 1bad65 Spitting truth bout towels - Shontae De'marc Stock Savvy - BoxingFan85 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - jas Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jas Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - jas Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - jas AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jas 

I don't think Benny's list of opponents is on par with other fighters in the discussion of GOAT
Sugar Adam Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:51 PM #26
Undisputed Champion

Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

Don't a lot of people consider Benny Leonard the best lightweight ever though? I usually hear his name or Duran in that discussion.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:13 PM #27
Undisputed Champion

rightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond reputerightsideup has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony342 View Post
Don't a lot of people consider Benny Leonard the best lightweight ever though? I usually hear his name or Duran in that discussion.
They both had long reigns at lightweight some feel benny fought better opposition but most cannot argue that most of duran's opponents wish they were accountants and not fighters after being in the ring with him
Old 10-17-2016, 12:40 AM #28
Undisputed Champion

So then yes, GOAT Lightweight.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:21 PM #29
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony342 View Post
So then yes, GOAT Lightweight.
not really I said some people think that benny leonard fought the best opposition at Lightweight but people underate people on durans lw resume like kenny buchanan , he ctor tompson, and esteban dejeus. Benny Leonard did not move up in weight to beat sugar leonard, davey moore and iran barkly and fight hagler well way before his decline.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:29 PM #30
Undisputed Champion

Ah okay. But I know some pick Benny Leonard and others go with Duran as the best all time at lightweight. Kind of like how some go with Joe Louis and others Muhammad Ali for best heavyweight.

Last edited by Anthony342; 10-18-2016 at 05:11 AM.

Share This With Friends

Tags
benny, goat?, isn't, leonard

User Tag List