• Show
Clear All

• Why did duran go past 147

was he just unable to make it or for the $ or both

weight issues for a small part but mostly $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

He got fat and lazy.

Comment

I think it was a combination of both leonard who not grant him a rematch until he beat someone of significance which put him after bentiz. When he did beat moore it put him in line for HUGE payday with hagler and a forth title. Its hard to say if he could make 147 but there was no finacial advantage to. Another fighter they where pointing him after was tony alya who was at 154. He came in at 156 against barkley and was 160 or more previous after being knocked out by hearns so he was lazy.

Comment

Money!!!. Never knew how to save!

Comment

Originally posted by STILL_DETOX View Post
            was he just unable to make it or for the $ or both
            Duran had (has?) a voracious appetite and became lazy between fights. He loved to eat, but did not want to train to make weight, so he chose the path of least resistance. He was also a philantropist and freely gave money to his entourage and the less fortunate in Panama. So he was always in need of a few dollars more.

Comment

we all have our vices so why not duran. Durans sharing money with poor people is a trait that many fans do not know about. He was a very giving person.

Comment

Probably for the money, but he wasn't able to make welterweight also.After Leonard, had no reason to stay at 147.

Comment

Lazy maybe

I read that his normal walking around wait was 190 to 205, so I can imagine how hard it was to get into fighting shape & weight, & I think he believed he could beat anyone at most any weight, he was a very ****y guy & confident both, and by the time he did move up he had more fame & Fortune & he probably did get lazy and enjoyed the good life more.

Comment

Laziness mostly. He got fat and rich, but kept losing his money so he kept fighting when he just didn't give a **** anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X