Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barry Tompkins interviews Larry Holmes and Gerrie Coetzee post Witherspoon-Thomas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry Tompkins interviews Larry Holmes and Gerrie Coetzee post Witherspoon-Thomas

Holmes (IBF Champ) and Coetzee (WBA Champ) discuss an upcoming meeting between the two that never materializes.

This transpired immediately after Pinklon Thomas won the WBC title from Tim Witherspoon, who won it in a vacant title fight with Greg Page. The title was vacant because Holmes opted to fight Marvis Frazier for 3.1 million rather than Page for 2.55. Since the 10 fight Frazier was unrated by the WBC they would not sanction the fight. A month later Holmes relinquished the WBC title and accepted a brand new IBF belt.

3 months after Witherspoon-Thomas Coetzee defended against Page and lost his crown. Page then lost it to Tony Tubbs. Neither Thomas, Coetzee, Page, or Tubbs would ever get a fight with Holmes.
    Last edited by Obama; 02-13-2012, 04:01 AM.

Originally posted by Obama View Post

Holmes (IBF Champ) and Coetzee (WBA Champ) discuss an upcoming meeting between the two that never materializes.

This transpired immediately after Pinklon Thomas won the WBC title from Tim Witherspoon, who won it in a vacant title fight with Greg Page. The title was vacant because Holmes opted to fight Marvis Frazier for 3.1 million rather than Page for 2.55. Since the 10 fight Frazier was unrated by the WBC they would not sanction the fight. A month later Holmes relinquished the WBC title and accepted a brand new IBF belt.

3 months after Witherspoon-Thomas Coetzee defended against Page and lost his crown. Page then lost it to Tony Tubbs. Neither Thomas, Coetzee, Page, or Tubbs would ever get a fight with Holmes.
    Larry Holmes was Floyd Mayweather Jr before Floyd was Floyd Mayweather Jr. This just reminded me why I never liked Holmes when he was fighting. He was a great fighter though. To bad none of these fights were ever made. The era was known for heavyweight misfits, but it had a lot of talent if not consistency outside of Holmes.

Comment

I laugh when people complain about Page not getting a fight with Holmes. Page lost to Berbick shortly after Holmes dominated Berbick. Then when Page gets the opportunity Page loses to Witherspoon, another Holmes victim. Then in his next fight Page loses to the undefeated David Bey, and guess what, Holmes fights the winner, Bey next! Perhaps if Page deserved a shot at Larry maybe he should have been winning instead of losing the big fights!

Holmes wanted Coetzee bad and offered to put up money and co-promote it if King wouldn't allow it. Tubbs wasn't a name til 85 when he beat Bonecrusher and Page. By the time he came around Holmes was at the end of his title run, losing to Spinks in August of that year. Holmes-Tubbs wasn't even considered.

Pinklon Thomas was a King fighter say no more!

Comment

I wish Holmes-Coetzee were made, I agree Page has all his chances, he didnt even deserved to fight Coetzee after losing to Bey, whom Holmes would stopped. Tubbs was the least considered among the four.

Thomas has had regrets on not fighting Holmes, I remember Holmes' legends fight in the late 90s, Thomas said he's willing to participate provided there's a guarantee match-up with Larry Holmes.

Comment

Working...
        X