running with ankle weights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redizdead View Post
    very interesting stuff!
    SO if I understand this right.... cycling on a stationnary bike at 150 bpm doesn't really help you lose fat? running without sprinting helps more?
    A friend of mine told me to walk uphill to lose weight. now I understand why... it's like walking with weights, right?

and if I do this, walk one hour a day with wieghts, and do arm exercises, I will burn fat AND strenghten my shoulders? that would be nice...
    cycling is great for burning fat, just do it at an easy pace like 10-12 mph.

exercise creates a calorie deficit any exercise that you continually do will help you lose weight if you watch what you eat.

a while back i would go for 30 min to 1 hour walks though trails at the local park with 10 lbs on each leg and 10 lbs on each arm. id do 10 sets of 50 curls on each arm, 10 sets of 25 lat raises for each arm and and 10 sets of 50 overhead presses on each arm id do 1 set of each then walk for a few mins then do another set of each then walk for a few mins ect ect ect. i lost alot of weight while gaining some muscle on my arms and shoulders. Id defiantly recommend it to some one who has weight to lose though i would not start off with 10 lbs, 5 or less would probly be alot better for starters.

of course every body is different so try out the walking with weights experiment with it and try what your body feels is best, if your not doing it ever day thats fine, if some days you take off from the arm exercises and just walk thats fine as long as you keep going out there and exercising your going to see differences.
    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 06-01-2011, 05:08 AM.

Comment

nice, thank you!
      I'll try that, definitely... to bad there's no "get in shape" contest anymore, I'd have liked to participate!
      I'm so hooked to boxing...
      ok so I'll try your stuff and keep you updated. I really want the best results as fast as I can, I have strong legs because I played hockey for 10 years, so I'll get 10 pounds weights for my ankles, and 5 for my arms. I'll do it in the morning, and then my trainings are at 5... Just one thing, did you use to monitor your heartrate? if so, what was it like? from what I understand, I shouldnt try to make it a hard, physical effort....

Comment

nice, thank you!
        I'll try that, definitely... to bad there's no "get in shape" contest anymore, I'd have liked to participate!
        I'm so hooked to boxing...
        ok so I'll try your stuff and keep you updated. I really want the best results as fast as I can, I have strong legs because I played hockey for 10 years, so I'll get 10 pounds weights for my ankles, and 5 for my arms. I'll do it in the morning, and then my trainings are at 5... Just one thing, did you use to monitor your heartrate? if so, what was it like? from what I understand, I shouldnt try to make it a hard, physical effort....
        nah, its just walking there's really no need to keep track of your heart rate i doubt it will get above 120 when your doing the arm exercises.

as a note this isnt the best thing for boxing, thats a mix of interval training and long slow distance jogs. this is the best for losing weight, eventually when you get down to the weight you want to be at your going to want to stop with the weighted walks and start jogging/interval training with out any weights.
        Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 06-01-2011, 10:22 AM.

Comment

ok... but can I do both? this in the morning, and 2 hours boxing in the evening? Or should I alternate, let's say boxing on monday, wednesday and friday, walks on thursdays and tuesdays?

Comment

ok... but can I do both? this in the morning, and 2 hours boxing in the evening? Or should I alternate, let's say boxing on monday, wednesday and friday, walks on thursdays and tuesdays?
            I dont really know, Im sure you can do the walks with just the ankle weights, the point of that is that your burning fat so your not taxing your muscles and your not burning your glucose stores.

id say try it with out the arm exercises and then try it with and see if there is a noticeable diffrence in your performance.

i wouldnt recommend boxing for 2 hours 5 days of the week if your just starting out, you might find your shoulders getting sore and making it harder to train and forcing you to take a week - weeks off to recover.

as i said every ones body is different, you know what your options are just do what keeps your body from getting too sore and your actual training in the gym at its peak.

Comment

so, if I feel no weakness, no lost of speed or strenght or stamina, I can do as much as I want?

anyway next week I'll try your walk thing, with the arm exercises. I feel strong man... and if I feel it weakens me, then I'll do it without the arms. I'll keep you updated!

Comment

so, if I feel no weakness, no lost of speed or strenght or stamina, I can do as much as I want?

anyway next week I'll try your walk thing, with the arm exercises. I feel strong man... and if I feel it weakens me, then I'll do it without the arms. I'll keep you updated!
                kinda like as far as what you do in a day, but recovery is important it helps your muscles get stronger and repair as well recovery/cut back weeks help you come back even stronger then before.

as well there is such a thing as over training, you dont want to go all out for 10 days straight, hit a wall and just not have the energy to train for a month.

you really want to make sure you have atleast 1 day for recovery a week if not more as well as 1 day for active recovery where you just go for a walk, a light bike ride, or easy paced swimming.

Comment

Working...
                X