No announcement yet.

How would you rate this HW era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you rate this HW era?

How good or bad would you say this era of HWs is? I say it's pretty damn weak. The fact that a slow, clumsy plodder like Fury is a contender is proof of that.

Very bad. Haye came in and has done nothing of note and is still a top ranked heavy. Sad state of affairs

Comment

Pathetic.......

Comment

100 years ago, many said Jack Johnson was only champion because it was a bad heavyweight era.

Nowadays, many say Wladimir Klitschko is only champion because it's a bad heavyweight era.

The world has changed 180 degrees, but prejudice still exists. It's just prejudice against different groups nowadays.
        Last edited by The Hammer; 08-24-2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
          How good or bad would you say this era of HWs is? I say it's pretty damn weak. The fact that a slow, clumsy plodder like Fury is a contender is proof of that.
          So you base your argument of the current HW era being weak on the fact that Fury is a contender?

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2013 View Post
            100 years ago, many said Jack Johnson was only champion because it was a bad heavyweight era.

Nowadays, many say Wladimir Klitschko is only champion because it's a bad heavyweight era.

The world has changed 180 degrees, but prejudice still exists. It's just prejudice against different groups nowadays.
            but Johnson is a sht stirrer so you can kinda forgive his era, Though it was weak. Jeffries being brought out of retirement to fight showcased that.

This era is pretty pathetic now. Looking at other weak periods this rivals them like Johnson's. Marciano's time span is actually a bit superior because that at least four men worthy of holding the title, followed by Patterson. (Charles, Rocky, Walcott, and Moore.)

Comment

Add a poll.

This is simply the worst era in heavyweight history.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
                So you base your argument of the current HW era being weak on the fact that Fury is a contender?
                A boxer like Tyson Fury would not only be a contender in past eras, he would be the HW champion.

Primo Carnera

Even someone like Tye Fields who started boxing in his mid-20s could be a champion in past eras:

Jess Willard

Comment

pretty bad but there are some decent fighters and interesting matchups that can be made. Wlad, Vitali, Stiverne, Arreola, Mitchell, Wilder, Fury, Haye, Thompson, Pulev, Chisora. If these guy all fight each other we will see some nice scraps, and klitschkos are underatted man those guys are beasts, they can stand up to any HW from any era and make it good fights

Comment

Not the worst, I don't think; but far from the best. I believe a lot of the problem, at least in the states, is that there isn't enough exposure of the current crop to accurately access their abilities and worth.

That being said, the moment someone decided it was better to be 250 lbs and abandon any subtleties of the game is when we started getting into trouble.

Case in point: Sam Peter...waaaay too fat. Always has been. A man of his height should weigh no more than 230. The more weight you add on, the more speed you lose; and you don't necessarily gain any power. Your stamina suffers, your foot speed suffers, your hand speed suffers, the fans suffer from watching you fight. It's a downward spiral.

I'm not necessarily picking on Peter. There's Arerola, Brewster (after he picked up Buddy McGirt....course he's long gone; but I'm making a point about bad beginnings), etc, etc, etc.

The game will pick up when some young fighter out there who has the want to, comes in the ring around 220 Lbs under the lights of major network exposure and kicks some giant's ass.

I don't harp on this too much 'cause I know I'm in the minority; but one of the reasons, outside of lack of exposure, that the division has the rep it has is simpley that most modern heavyweight are physically incapable of putting on a good show while fighting. They're too damn slow, too inactive when they're in the ring, and don't fight enough in a calendar year.

Nothing to watch........division suffers. What to watch is dull.......division suffers more. Simple.

Comment

Working...
                    X